Pelicans Brief South Bend on Way to Succeed in Intrasquad Business
Shawon Dunston Jr stroked an RBI double, reached base on a bunt single, and scored two runs, Trey Martin clubbed an RBI triple, stole two bases, and scored two runs, and Gioskar Amaya reached base three times on two walks and a single, helping the Myrtle Beach Pelicans to an 8-5 victory over the South Bend Cubs in Minor League Camp intrasquad action this morning on Field #6 at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Frandy de la Rosa roped a triple and an RBI single and scored a run for South Bend in a losing cause.
Four pitchers threw in the game, with two starting pitchers "piggy-backing" for each squad. Of the four, Erick Leal had the worst outing, allowing five runs on eight hits (including two doubles and a triple) and a walk (plus a throwing error and a wild pitch) in just 3.2 IP.
The game was called with one out in the top of the 8th inning.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-3 (BB, 4-3, 6-3, BB, 1B)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, 6-4 FC, CS)
3. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-2 (BB, F-7, 2B, F-9 SF, R, RBI)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, 1B, P-5, F-7, R)
5. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 2-3 (K, 5-3 SH, 2B, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF: 2-4 (L-7, 1B, P-6, 1B+E1, R, RBI)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-4 (E-1, K, 3B, K, 2 R, RBI, 2 SB)
8. Kevin Encarnacion, LF: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, 2-3, RBI, CS)
9. David Bote, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, E-3, 1B, R)
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. Andrew Ely, SS: 0-3 (F-7, K, 6-3)
1b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-1 (K)
2. Charcer Burks, LF-CF: 1-4 (1-3, 1B, F-8, F-7, R)
3a. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-2 (F-7, 1B+E7, BB, R)
3b. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-1 (2B)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 1-4 (P-4, 6-3, 2B, L-6, R, RBI)
5. Jesse Hodges, DH: 1-3 (1B, K+WP, BB, K, R)
6. Tanner Witt, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, F-9 DP)
7. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 2-3 (L-8, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
8. Justin Marra, 1B: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, L-6, RBI)
9a. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-2 (L-5, F-9)
9b. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-1 (L-9)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/6 GO/FO, 68 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Jonathan Martinez: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/7 GO/FO, 62 pitches (40 strikes)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 3/2 GO/FO, 63 pitches (37 strikes)
2. Erick Leal:3.2 IP, 8 H, 6 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/FO, 58 pitches (38 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. LF Kevin Encarnacion - E-7 (fielding error on ground single to left allowed batter-runner to advance an extra base)
2. C Gioskar Amaya - E-2 (overthrow at 1st base on K+WP allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 3
1. P Trevor Clifton - E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Justin Marra - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. P Erick Leal - E-1 (overthrow at 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya; 1 E (see above)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Pearson: 2-4 CS, 2 PB
2. Jhonny Pereda: 1 PB
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Rashad Crawford - threw out baserunner (Kevonte Mitchell) 9-2 trying to score from 3rd base on fly ball to right
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 hours 9 min ago (view)
Owners' stooge Bobby Manfred coming out swinging at the players with his statement about the owners instituting a lockout.
Arizona Phil 8 hours 32 min ago (view)
The Cubs re-signed OF Michael Hermosillo to a 2022 Major League contract just prior to the midnight Wednesday MLB transaction freeze.
Hermosillo was non-tendered on Tuesday because he was a Rule 5 Draft-Excluded Player, and if he had remained on the 40 the Cubs would not have been able to outright him to the minors any earlier than 20 days prior to MLB opening Day.
crunch 13 hours 24 min ago (view)
we shouldn't, especially with how much payroll room for 2024+ this top-costing-for-fans team with a heavily monitized ballpark in a major media market has.
backloaded contracts aren't exactly groundbreaking new things...neither are cheap-ass owners. i don't expect them to compete every year, but i expect them to try after a punt season where they traded away the core. NYY, NYM, LAD, LAA, BOS, etc. don't seem to have trouble doing this even if it means throwing a bit of money around...
Sonicwind75 13 hours 36 min ago (view)
Stroman, a pleasant surprise. Good to know we aren't completely punting until 2025.
Arizona Phil 14 hours 3 min ago (view)
CRUNCH: Clint Frazier's 2022 base salary is only $1.5M and he has a minor league option available, so I think it's more likely than not that he opens 2022 at AAA.
On the other hand, Harold Ramirez is out of minor league options, and it is unknown at this point what he will get in 2022 as a "super two."
crunch 14 hours 29 min ago (view)
until clint fraizer came on board i wouldn't have counted bryant out.
OF is kinda crowded right now, though there's no stars in the mix. fraizer - happ - ortega - heyward - h.ramirez leading the group... even if he split time between OF/3rd with wisdom that just makes it more crowded, plus the team allegedly wants hoerner to prepare to be used as a super-utility guy.
George Altman 14 hours 48 min ago (view)
Ok, if Cubs are going there....I want Correa and Bryant. Unless this is just about selling tickets.
crunch 14 hours 53 min ago (view)
crunch 15 hours 51 min ago (view)
stroman / hendricks / miley / alzolay - mills - thompson - steele
okay...now do bats.
Wrigley Rat 15 hours 59 min ago (view)
You beat me to it! :)
azbobbop 15 hours 59 min ago (view)
Marcus Stroman to the...wait for it...the CUBS! What a nice surprise!
Arizona Phil 23 hours 17 min ago (view)
With Jason Adam and Michael Hermosillo having been non-tendered, the only 2021 Rule 5 Draft-Excluded Players remaining on the Cubs MLB 40-man roster are Scott Effross, Alfonso Rivas, Ethan Roberts, and Nelson Velazquez. Draft-Excluded players cannot be outrighted to the minors until 20 days prior to MLB Opening Day, so Effross, Rivas, Roberts, and Velazquez are the only players on the 40 with off-season roster-removal restrictions.
Sonicwind75 1 day 17 min ago (view)
Sad but true. According to my back of the napkin numbers the Cubs have aroumd $100MM in payroll space to match last seasons but they're shopping in the non-tendereds ailse. At the same time they talk of being "competitive". The cognitive dissonance is overwhelming.
Arizona Phil 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
I suspect Jason Adam and Michael Hermosillo will re-sign with the Cubs on minor league deals with NRIs to 2022 MLB Spring Training, possibly as early as tomorrow.
crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
MIN claimed t.megill from CHC and then non-tendered him.
CHC non-tender jason adam and mike hermosillo
crunch 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
matt boyd non-tendered by DET...that sounds about the right part of the scrap pile the cubs are digging around