Pelicans Brief South Bend on Way to Succeed in Intrasquad Business
Shawon Dunston Jr stroked an RBI double, reached base on a bunt single, and scored two runs, Trey Martin clubbed an RBI triple, stole two bases, and scored two runs, and Gioskar Amaya reached base three times on two walks and a single, helping the Myrtle Beach Pelicans to an 8-5 victory over the South Bend Cubs in Minor League Camp intrasquad action this morning on Field #6 at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Frandy de la Rosa roped a triple and an RBI single and scored a run for South Bend in a losing cause.
Four pitchers threw in the game, with two starting pitchers "piggy-backing" for each squad. Of the four, Erick Leal had the worst outing, allowing five runs on eight hits (including two doubles and a triple) and a walk (plus a throwing error and a wild pitch) in just 3.2 IP.
The game was called with one out in the top of the 8th inning.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-3 (BB, 4-3, 6-3, BB, 1B)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, 6-4 FC, CS)
3. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-2 (BB, F-7, 2B, F-9 SF, R, RBI)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, 1B, P-5, F-7, R)
5. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 2-3 (K, 5-3 SH, 2B, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF: 2-4 (L-7, 1B, P-6, 1B+E1, R, RBI)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-4 (E-1, K, 3B, K, 2 R, RBI, 2 SB)
8. Kevin Encarnacion, LF: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, 2-3, RBI, CS)
9. David Bote, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, E-3, 1B, R)
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. Andrew Ely, SS: 0-3 (F-7, K, 6-3)
1b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-1 (K)
2. Charcer Burks, LF-CF: 1-4 (1-3, 1B, F-8, F-7, R)
3a. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-2 (F-7, 1B+E7, BB, R)
3b. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-1 (2B)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 1-4 (P-4, 6-3, 2B, L-6, R, RBI)
5. Jesse Hodges, DH: 1-3 (1B, K+WP, BB, K, R)
6. Tanner Witt, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, F-9 DP)
7. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 2-3 (L-8, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
8. Justin Marra, 1B: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, L-6, RBI)
9a. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-2 (L-5, F-9)
9b. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-1 (L-9)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/6 GO/FO, 68 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Jonathan Martinez: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/7 GO/FO, 62 pitches (40 strikes)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 3/2 GO/FO, 63 pitches (37 strikes)
2. Erick Leal:3.2 IP, 8 H, 6 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/FO, 58 pitches (38 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. LF Kevin Encarnacion - E-7 (fielding error on ground single to left allowed batter-runner to advance an extra base)
2. C Gioskar Amaya - E-2 (overthrow at 1st base on K+WP allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 3
1. P Trevor Clifton - E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Justin Marra - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. P Erick Leal - E-1 (overthrow at 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya; 1 E (see above)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Pearson: 2-4 CS, 2 PB
2. Jhonny Pereda: 1 PB
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Rashad Crawford - threw out baserunner (Kevonte Mitchell) 9-2 trying to score from 3rd base on fly ball to right
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
sammy sosa off the HOF ballot after 10 years. he finishes up with a 18.5% vote, highest in any year.
crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
cubs sign 31 year old eric yardley to a minor league deal.
he's a 31 year old righty that throws sub-90mph junk.
Sonicwind75 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Thank you for sharing Mike. Sounds like the former owner was a high character human being and should be celebrated. Haven't had a chance to attend a game there since I moved away from Des Moines in 2007 but recall it being a great ballpark experience. Has there been any word of the new owners making any major changes?
crunch 4 days 2 hours ago (view)
a 22 month old.
a'ite. i'm done with Earth. going to Pluto. don't bother visiting or calling. later.
Cubster 1 week 5 hours ago (view)
Jason Schmidt signs with Dodgers, 3/44.
crunch 1 week 6 hours ago (view)
20 year, 800m contract incoming...front loaded 150m over the first 2 years with a player opt out after that...
videographer 1 week 13 hours ago (view)
Darth Vader to rescue Carlos Correa's bruised ego.
crunch 1 week 14 hours ago (view)
carlos correa has hired scott boras...
bradsbeard 1 week 1 day ago (view)
The IFA market isn't exactly an equal access thing. Not only do the Cubs have a slightly smaller bonus pool than some teams, players are often linked to teams through their trainers well before they are able to sign. It's not like when these kids are 14 that the teams know for sure that they have a top of the class player on their hands two years in the future.
Wrigley Rat 1 week 1 day ago (view)
Cubbies.4ever - I read that the Cubs strategy with international free agents has been to spend most of their bonus money on young, position players and then take chances on cheaper, older pitching prospects who have been late bloomers (taller, stronger, more command of pitches, etc.). They are also grabbing guys at the end of the international signing period and signing them to future service contracts. They have six pitchers that were signed last year to future service contracts, and only one position player.
cubbies.4ever 1 week 1 day ago (view)
Cubs IFA Signings are heavy on SS (given SS usually can play many positions as the develop), but only 1 pitcher. Given it's still early. Also disappointing that their best signing is #18. Gone are the days of Soler, Eloy, Torres, Marquez, Amaya etc. I believe Christian Hernandez last year was highly rated though.
Wrigley Rat 1 week 2 days ago (view)
One more international free agent signing announced today: Daniel Benschop, OF, Aruba
bradsbeard 1 week 2 days ago (view)
I hope all is well with AZ Phil. Hasn't posted in a few weeks and typically would expect him to have a post up tracking IFA signings. Maybe he's waiting for something official from the Cubs (who don't seem to have announced any of the signings officially)?
Cubster 1 week 2 days ago (view)
Les Grobstein dies at age 69. Encyclopedic Chicago historian and longtime sports talk overnight radio host, plus a controversial listen. https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/01/17/les-grobstein-1952-2022/
Cubster 1 week 2 days ago (view)
Hernandez ranks 18th on MLB's International prospect list. Sanchez ranks at #43.
Tribune article today on the Cub https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-alexis-hernan...