Pelicans Gobble Nuts & Tourists Fly Past Cubs at Riverview
Jesse Hodges belted a solo HR and singled, Jordan Hankins singled twice, drove-in a run, and scored another, and Jake Stinnett tossed five innings of one-run ball as the Cubs took a 4-1 lead through five innings, but the Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies Lo-A affiliate) scored four in the 6th, two in the 8th, and two more in the 9th, to rally to a 9-7 victory over the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) on Field #5. and Jacob Rogers and Kevin Brown hammered doubles and scored, Shawon Dunston Jr and Jeimer Candelario drilled RBI singles, and Wes Darvill slugged a two-run home run to highlight a five-run 3rd, as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) cruised to a 6-2 victory over the Modesto Nuts (Rockies Hi-A affiliate) on Field #6, in Cactus League Minor League game action this afternoon at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Brown (two doubles and a single) and Candelario (two singles and a double) collected three hits a piece for the Pelicans.
Chris Denorfia (hamstring rehab) saw his first game action in a couple of weeks, serving as a DH for Myrtle Beach and going 1-3. He led-off each of the first three innings, flying out F-9 in his first AB, bouncing back to the pitcher 1-3 his second time up, and then clubbing a ringing double into the right-centerfield gap in his third Plate Appearance.
While Denorfia jogged somewhat gingerly into second base and looked to be something less than 100% on his double, a minute later he went full-tilt from second to home to score on the Dunston ground RBI single to center.
South Bend RHP Zach Hedges had a tough outing while piggy-backing with Stinnett on Field #5. Coming in with a 4-1 lead in the top of the 6th, Hedges allowed eight run (all earned) on nine hits (including two doubles, a triple, and a home run) and two walks (plus a wild pitch) and no strikeouts in four innings of work.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Charcer Burks, LF: 2-5 (P-4, 5-3, 5-3, 1B, 1B, R)
2. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-3 (HBP, 3B, 5-3, 6-3, F-9 SF, RBI)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (K, F-8, E-5, 1B, BB, 2 RBI, SB, CS)
4. Justin Marra, 1B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, BB, K, R)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-5 (1B, HR, 6-3, K, E-6, R, RBI)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-5 (4-6-3 DP, 6-3, 1-3, K, 5-U FC)
7a. Jordan Hankins, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-5, R, RBI)
7b. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-1 (1-3)
8. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (F-7, BB, 1-3, 6-3, R)
9a. Rashad Crawford, DH: 1-2 (4-3, 1B, RBI)
9b. Yasiel Balaguert, PH-DH: 1-1 (1B, BB, 2 R)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 6/4 GO/FO, 72 pitches (40 strikes)
2. Zach Hedges: 4.0 IP, 9 H, 8 R (8 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 8/3 GO/FO, 63 pitches (38 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jordan Hankins: 2-3 CS
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
X. Chris Denorfia, DH #1: 1-3 (F-9, 1-3, 2B, R)
NOTE: Denorfia batted 1st in the top of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd innings
1. Kevin Brown, CF: 3-4 (2B, 2B, 3-U, 1B, R)
2. Billy McKinney, RF: 0-3 (F-9, BB, F-8, K)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 3-3 (2B, 1B, 1B, F-9 SF, 2 RBI)
4. Victor Caratini, DH #2: 0-3 (5-3, 4-3, BB, K)
5. Ben Carhart, C: 1-2 (BB, 1B, F-9)
6. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-3 (2B, L-3, L-9, R)
7. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF 1-3 (1B, P-3, K, R, RBI)
8. Andrew Ely, SS; 0-3 (P-5, K, 4-3)
9. Wes Darvill, 2B: 2-3 (HR, K, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
10. Danny Lockhart, DH #3: 2-3 (1B, 2B, E-3, R)
11a. Alberto Mineo, DH #4: 0-2 (K, K)
11b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Duane Underwood: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 1 WP, 6/4 GO/FO, 72 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Ryan McNeil: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
3. James Farris: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: NONE
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ben Carhart: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 25 min ago (view)
That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.
crunch 14 hours 31 min ago (view)
...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.
...and he closes it out with a K. neat.
this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.
crunch 14 hours 39 min ago (view)
strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.
homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.
crunch 14 hours 47 min ago (view)
welcome back kimbrel.
1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.
crunch 15 hours 18 min ago (view)
one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.
crunch 16 hours 13 min ago (view)
woo, a good cubs away game.
crunch 18 hours 24 min ago (view)
heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / caratini / kemp(2nd) / Q
crunch 19 hours 45 min ago (view)
so stoked for the williamsport game.
the increasing amount of off-site games is a bit concerning (middle of nowhere Field of Dreams field, really?), but I love this one. it's played out great so far and giving the kids playing in the LL series some primo seats (hope this continues) is a great touch.
Arizona Phil 21 hours 6 min ago (view)
Craig Kimbrel reinstated from IL, Duane Underwood Jr optioned to Iowa, Mark Zagunis recalled as the "26th man" for tonight's game (special travel required to get to Williamsport so MLB Comissioner permits 26th man for both clubs).
crunch 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
Charlie 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Lester pitched 35 innings today.
crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.