Pelicans Gobble Nuts & Tourists Fly Past Cubs at Riverview
Jesse Hodges belted a solo HR and singled, Jordan Hankins singled twice, drove-in a run, and scored another, and Jake Stinnett tossed five innings of one-run ball as the Cubs took a 4-1 lead through five innings, but the Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies Lo-A affiliate) scored four in the 6th, two in the 8th, and two more in the 9th, to rally to a 9-7 victory over the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) on Field #5. and Jacob Rogers and Kevin Brown hammered doubles and scored, Shawon Dunston Jr and Jeimer Candelario drilled RBI singles, and Wes Darvill slugged a two-run home run to highlight a five-run 3rd, as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) cruised to a 6-2 victory over the Modesto Nuts (Rockies Hi-A affiliate) on Field #6, in Cactus League Minor League game action this afternoon at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Brown (two doubles and a single) and Candelario (two singles and a double) collected three hits a piece for the Pelicans.
Chris Denorfia (hamstring rehab) saw his first game action in a couple of weeks, serving as a DH for Myrtle Beach and going 1-3. He led-off each of the first three innings, flying out F-9 in his first AB, bouncing back to the pitcher 1-3 his second time up, and then clubbing a ringing double into the right-centerfield gap in his third Plate Appearance.
While Denorfia jogged somewhat gingerly into second base and looked to be something less than 100% on his double, a minute later he went full-tilt from second to home to score on the Dunston ground RBI single to center.
South Bend RHP Zach Hedges had a tough outing while piggy-backing with Stinnett on Field #5. Coming in with a 4-1 lead in the top of the 6th, Hedges allowed eight run (all earned) on nine hits (including two doubles, a triple, and a home run) and two walks (plus a wild pitch) and no strikeouts in four innings of work.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Charcer Burks, LF: 2-5 (P-4, 5-3, 5-3, 1B, 1B, R)
2. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-3 (HBP, 3B, 5-3, 6-3, F-9 SF, RBI)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (K, F-8, E-5, 1B, BB, 2 RBI, SB, CS)
4. Justin Marra, 1B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, BB, K, R)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-5 (1B, HR, 6-3, K, E-6, R, RBI)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-5 (4-6-3 DP, 6-3, 1-3, K, 5-U FC)
7a. Jordan Hankins, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-5, R, RBI)
7b. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-1 (1-3)
8. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (F-7, BB, 1-3, 6-3, R)
9a. Rashad Crawford, DH: 1-2 (4-3, 1B, RBI)
9b. Yasiel Balaguert, PH-DH: 1-1 (1B, BB, 2 R)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 6/4 GO/FO, 72 pitches (40 strikes)
2. Zach Hedges: 4.0 IP, 9 H, 8 R (8 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 8/3 GO/FO, 63 pitches (38 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jordan Hankins: 2-3 CS
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
X. Chris Denorfia, DH #1: 1-3 (F-9, 1-3, 2B, R)
NOTE: Denorfia batted 1st in the top of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd innings
1. Kevin Brown, CF: 3-4 (2B, 2B, 3-U, 1B, R)
2. Billy McKinney, RF: 0-3 (F-9, BB, F-8, K)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 3-3 (2B, 1B, 1B, F-9 SF, 2 RBI)
4. Victor Caratini, DH #2: 0-3 (5-3, 4-3, BB, K)
5. Ben Carhart, C: 1-2 (BB, 1B, F-9)
6. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-3 (2B, L-3, L-9, R)
7. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF 1-3 (1B, P-3, K, R, RBI)
8. Andrew Ely, SS; 0-3 (P-5, K, 4-3)
9. Wes Darvill, 2B: 2-3 (HR, K, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
10. Danny Lockhart, DH #3: 2-3 (1B, 2B, E-3, R)
11a. Alberto Mineo, DH #4: 0-2 (K, K)
11b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Duane Underwood: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 1 WP, 6/4 GO/FO, 72 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Ryan McNeil: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
3. James Farris: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: NONE
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ben Carhart: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Eric S 3 hours 42 min ago (view)
Reds just lost in tough fashion to the Royals. Down 5-4 in the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, one out and rap into a 5-4-3 dp to end it.
crunch 4 hours 15 min ago (view)
no kimbrel...but another decent jeffress outing
Cubster 4 hours 22 min ago (view)
Fly the W.
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 12 min ago (view)
So we keep Phegley ostensibly to get Caratini into lineup as DH and have a different backup C so we don't get caught in the exact situation we knowingly and avoidably put ourselves in tonight?
crunch 5 hours 29 min ago (view)
this game is now "bryant watch"...also will 4 runs be enough for kimbrel? gotta imagine he's due to get work even if it's not a save situation.
crunch 5 hours 52 min ago (view)
early returns on that bomb to LF are looking good.
Charlie 5 hours 58 min ago (view)
That one looked like it got all bone. Here's hoping it didn't go full Todd Hollandsworth.
Eric S 7 hours 22 min ago (view)
Cubs did both Dietrich and the Rangers a solid
Wouldn't be a season without the Cubs and Rangers having some form of transaction
crunch 8 hours 23 min ago (view)
called up and in the lineup for TEX tonight. hell of a few days for him.
Eric S 10 hours 15 min ago (view)
Cleveland Game 2: KB (LF), Rizzo, Javy, Willson, Happ, JHey, Bote (3B), Caratini (DH), Kipnis
Schwarber was in initial lineup but removed due to a knee contusion - I imagine a result of the hard breaking ball which popped him in the knee last night.
Dolorous Jon Lester 12 hours 9 min ago (view)
Rea has been a very nice surprise so far. Hopefully he can keep it up this year and going forward. We have a few more years of team control.
Eric S 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Rea bringing the heat 94-96 - and retires the heart of the Indians lineup in order. He's looked impressive in his two appearances.
Eric S 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Happ's bat being on fire is pleasing to the eye
Eric S 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
He's the anti-Kimbrel
Eric S 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Oliver Perez alone is worth the price of admission - more kinds of "deliveries" than Baskin-Robbins has flavors.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
anyone that doesn't enjoy watching oliver perez pitching isn't my friend and can't borrow any of my stuff.