Where's the Beefy?

The Cubs version of will no longer exist as the Cubs have traded "catcher" Welington Castillo to the Seattle Mariners for relief pitcher Before I dig into the new guy, let's eulogize Beefy for a bit.

While I'm all for letting prospects develop, Beefy got on my nerves from the very get go. For a "catcher" he didn't do that very well...literally. I'm sure my memory is worse than the reality of it, but I just remeber a bunch of passed balls when he first got called up and some terrible receiving in the way he did catch balls that led strikes to be called balls. It never really got better. He threw some guys out, but if there was ever a player that the "second division starter" label should attach itself too, it was our dear friend Beefy. Enjoy the spacious Safeco Field.

As for the new guy, 26-year old Yoervis Medina, he was a lot more exciting the last few years when he was striking out guys at a clip over 9 per 9 innings. This year that number is down to 6.75 and it's married to a 2 mph drop in his velocity, per the numbers you can find . Maybe this will turn into a Pedro Strop turnaround story, but seems more likely it'll be a Tommy John story or a Daniel Bard story.

I believe Medina is headed to Iowa anyway as he did have some options left and he entered the season with just over 2 years of service time, so he can be a Cub for quite a few seasons if he can get corrected.  Not much to like about this trade, not much to dislike either. With Castillo off the team and Medina headed to Iowa, it does mean a player call-up is looming.

Comments

Medina: ERA FIP XFIP WAR 3.00 4.48 5.37 -0.1 Shitter: 8.10 6.75 3.89 -0.2 Factor in the AL DH, and this is an upgrade any way you slice it. Maybe "Magic Bos" can help him be effective. Unlike Shitter ever was.

Medina isn't even going to be called up unless he figures things out. Don't think a reliever in the NL gets to face the pitcher too often either. XFIP and WAR are pretty similar so there's probably a few ways you can slice it that don't result in an upgrade.

Medina's a project and one that Bosio won't be a part of at first.

Yep, I think it's straightforward- they didn't need a 3rd catcher so they took on a pitching project. Who knows. One positive thing is it frees up a roster spot on the 25-man so there is a bit more wiggle room on the bench.

It should mean way fewer PH opportunities for the likes of Herrera and Ross. Unfortunately, those opportunities may go to Junior Lake until Alcantara, La Stella, and/or Olt get it together.

Well, at least we got more than an infield rake and a can of Simoniz.

I don't get Epstoyer saying Baez will remain at 2B/SS. Unless Bryant is moving to LF, where does Baez play in this infield? Screaming need right now is another SP and a LF who can outhit Coghlan. Would Baez, Alcantara, & Edwards + a top 20-30 prospect be enough for Cole Hamels if Cubs pick up his contract plus option year?

My guess is they want him to focus solely on improving at the plate, and not get "distracted' by taking on a new position right now and/or creating "call-up buzz". If he continues to improve, they'll find a spot for him -- they put Russell at 2B and Mendy in CF in the majors with very little prep.

Gleyber Torres mentioned in BA article on minor league breakout prospects http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/basebal... McKinney mentioned too

waves and waves of prospects...need a few arms in there soon though.

Let's go Underwood, Johnson, Edwards...

let's go trading

Underwood having a good year so far. Would like to see Tseng do better, and Corey Black get his walks down. Don't know what to make of Blackburn, Pineyro, Cease, Sands, Steele, Stinnett.

I actually purchased one of these (well, got it for a gift). As the article states, the Cubs sent a letter saying they were going to be moved to the OF next year and that they were likely to be replaced also. No biggie to me that they through them away as long as they are replaced. And as part of getting a brick, you got an exact replica sent you. I have mine on my desk in my home office.

fun trivia I came across

Name the 3 players have hit 100 HR's and stole 100 bases while members of the Chicago Cubs?

Sosa, Sandberg and Santo?

sosa, sandberg,dunston

Well done. first 2 are easy, figure Dunston would trip some up.

lucky guess, trying to think of fast guys with some pop on Cubs

Jimmy Ryan? Missed it by "that" much.

Ha ha! Well played!

• crunch 10 hours 44 min ago (view)

deleted that link.  it was a republished-to-feed article, not a new one, so it's not very useful.

• cubbies.4ever 11 hours 33 min ago (view)

Is Cubs 3rd draft pick Jordan Nwogu not going to sign?  Most teams are done signing.  Since the Cubs have the other 4 signed there's not a question of negotiations.  I thought Little (using his viral video of 105 mph as leverage) or Moreno being a promising HS SP would be the tough ones.

• Jackstraw 11 hours 38 min ago (view)

Apparently being run by the same guy who put Quintana in charge of washing dishes.

• Cubster 12 hours 2 min ago (view)

Joey Gallo tests Positive.

• Cubster 12 hours 8 min ago (view)

MLBPA sent a memo to player agents Monday saying that it and the league are “actively pursuing an additional medical lab site to increase the speed and efficiency of test processing and reporting,” Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic tweets.

• Cubster 12 hours 27 min ago (view)

4-29-20: White House senior adviser Jared Kushner told "FOX & Friends" Wednesday morning that he expects to see life go "back to normal" in the U.S. by June and "the hope is that by July the country’s really rocking again."

Well, that prediction has held up especially well in FL, TX, AZ and CA

• George Altman 12 hours 59 min ago (view)

I'm beginning to think maybe this guy doesn't have a good grasp on being President.

• crunch 14 hours 29 min ago (view)

"Angels summer camp workouts are optional on Monday due to COVID-19 testing delays.

The testers simply failed to show up to Angels camp on Sunday, and there were also apparently some shipping issues with samples during the July 4 holiday weekend. The Astros, Nationals, and Cardinals have outright canceled their Monday workouts because of delays within MLB's testing protocol."

neat.  this is going just great.

but hey, i'm sure a month from now we'll be done with all this crazy virus stuff going on...as players consider multi-game road trips through FL/TX/AZ/CA.

• Arizona Phil 16 hours 6 min ago (view)

With players dropping like flies and others opting-out, methinks the MLB season could resemble the last three innings of a Cactus League Spring Training game.

• Cubster 16 hours 6 min ago (view)

Cubs first Wrigley game is vs Brewers per Sun-Times. Full Schedules to come out in an hour.

• Cubster 16 hours 29 min ago (view)

Dodger stadium Covid testing site was closed without notice today. Long lines, pissed off people. ClusterF*cked Americans as the virus spreads. Here is the WSCR link that says KB is pissed about the lax testing by MLB.

• Cubster 21 hours 37 min ago (view)

Dodger's Stadium is a testing site. Except, you can't just get a test. You have to be symptomatic. Cough, cough...this is really not going well.

• Cubster 21 hours 40 min ago (view)

Worrisome. Astros and Nats cancel workouts because of Covid testing delays.

Trumpy: "Anyone who wants a test, can get a test." 3-6-20. Four months ago.

• crunch 1 day 15 hours ago (view)

"Yu Darvish threw his new pitch, a two-seam/splitter hybrid, during his first intrasquad game appearance on Saturday.

Darvish, who already had 10 different pitch variations in his arsenal, is calling this new pitch "The Supreme.""

• crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

"I've been thinking about it and been thinking about it before we put out that statement," (Terry) Francona said. "I know in the past, when I've been asked about, whether it's our name or the Chief Wahoo, I think I would usually answer and say I know that we're never trying to be disrespectful. And I still feel that way, but I don't think that's a good enough answer today. I think it's time to move forward. It's a very difficult subject. It's also delicate," he said.

• Cubster 1 day 20 hours ago (view)

Two White Sox test positive for Covid. Not yet disclosed who they are. Reminder that the Cubs are going to be scheduled to play the WSox for 6 games.