Late Rally Helps Emeralds Sparkle at Riverview
Kevonte Mitchell smashed a solo HR to lead-off the inning and Frandy de la Rosa belted a two-run triple and scored on a WP to highlight a four-run 8th, as the Eugene Emeralds rallied to defeat the Mesa Cubs 5-3 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning on Field #1 at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Eloy Jimenez reached base four times (two singles and two walks) for Eugene, Yohan Matos slugged a solo HR and singled twice for the Mesa Cubs, and the two starting pitchers (LHP Justin Steele and RHP Oscar de la Cruz) combined to hurl six innings of shutout ball.
Mesa Cubs LF Jose Paniagua left the game after being hit on the helmet by a Daniel Bard fastball in the top of the 4th. (Bard was pulled out of the game after throwing only eight pitches).
Mike Olt (on Cubs MLB 15-day DL - broken right wrist) took pre-game BP but did not play in the game.
In EXST Cubs roster news, OF Shawon Dunston (on Myrtle Beach 7-day since April 23rd with a right shoulder injury) has completed his rehab and has returned to the Pelicans, and C-1B Alberto Mineo has been moved-up to Myrtle Beach.
Mineo will be inactive at MB (technically he's on the Eugene Reserve List) and will serve as a bullpen catcher for the Pelicans, but he can be activated if necessary.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game, followed by the updated Cubs Extended Spring Training roster:
MESA CUBS LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 4-3, F-9, SB)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, SS: 0-3 (BB, 6-3, L-8, L-7)
3. Yohan Matos, C: 3-4 (1B, K, 1B, HR, R, RBI)
4. Carlos Jimenez, 3B: 0-4 (L-4, P-6, F-9, L-7)
5. Danny Gutierrrez, DH-LF: 0-4 (P-4, E-3, 6-3, K, R, 2 SB)
6. Roney Alcala, 1B 0-3 (P-4, BB, 4-3, 6-3, R)
7a. Jose Paniagua, LF: 0-1 (K, HBP)
7b. Jhonny Pereda, PR: NO AB
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Jenner Emeterio, RF: 1-4 (1B, F-9, K, K)
9. Andruw Monasterio, 2B: 1-3 (5-3, 6-2 FC, 1B, BB)
10. Calvin Graves, DH #2: 0-4 (P-4, 4-3, P-6, 4-3)
1. Robert Garcia, DH #1: 0-4 (6-3, P-1, L-9, K)
2. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-3 (F-8, BB, P-4, HR, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, BB, R, RBI, CS)
4. Joey Martarano, 1B: 2-4 (4-U FC, 1B, F8, 1B, R)
5. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B-DH 1-2 (L-8, BB, HBP, 3B, R, 2 RBI, PO)
6. Tyler Alamo, C: 2-3 (1B, BB, F-9, 1B)
7. Varonex Cuevas, DH-2B: 0-4 (K, P-6 DP, F-7, K)
8. Ho-Young Son, SS: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-9)
9. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-2 (BB, 4-1, 1B, PO)
10. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, L-4)
MESA CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Justin Steele: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 2/3 GO/FO, 42 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Trey Masek: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 18 pitches (4 strikes)
3. Austyn Willis: 4.2 IP, 8 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 3 WP, 1 PO, 1/8 GO/FO, 75 pitches (44 strikes)
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2/4 GO/FO, 49 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Daniel Bard: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 2 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/FO, 8 pitches (3 strikes)
3. Sam Wilson: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Jordan Brink: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 3/4 GO/FO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Jae-Hoon Ha: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 19 pitches (11 strikes)
MESA CUBS ERRORS: NONE
EUGENE ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Joey Martarano: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Joey Martarano: E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
MESA CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yohan Matos: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
EUGENE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-3 CS, 1 PB
MESA CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Danny Gutierrez - threw out batter (Ricardo Marcano) 7-4 trying to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
2015 CUBS EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING ROSTER
50 players ACTIVE
17 pitchers in PITCHERS REHAB GROUP (various stages of activity but not pitching in EXST games)
4 injured position players at TRAINING CENTER (not cleared for field activity)
* bats or throws left
# bats both
ACTIVE PITCHERS: 26
Oscar de la Cruz
Enrique de los Rios
* Andin Diaz
Jae-Hoon Ha (ex-OF)
John Michael Knighton
Mark Malave (ex-C)
* Jose Paulino
* Carson Sands
* Justin Steele
* Sam Wilson
PITCHERS REHAB GROUP: 17
Adbert Alzolay (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - now throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Matt Brazis (LIMITED ACTIVITY - AA Tennessee 7-day DL - now throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Marcelo Carreno (ACTIVE REHAB - throwing in "sim games - post-2013 right shoulder surgery)
Anthony Carter (ACTIVE REHAB - shut-down down in Minor League Camp - now throwing in "sim" games)
Tanner Griggs (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down in Minor League Camp - now throwing bullpen side-sessions - groin)
Luis Hernandez (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down in Minor League Camp - now throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Barret Loux (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after throwing in EXST games - right flexor)
Trey McNutt (LIMITED ACTIVITY - now throwing bullpen side-sessions - 2014 shoulder surgery)
Yomar Morel (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - TJS pending)
* Ariel Ovando (ex-OF - TRAINING CENTER - was shut-down in Minor League Camp)
James Norwood (LIMITED ACTIVITY - South Bend 7-day DL - has started throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Blake Parker (TRAINING CENTER - re-signed after being released - right elbow inflammation)
Hector Perez (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - ???)
Austin Reed (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - 2014 TJS)
Jose Rosario (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down in Minor League Camp - had TJS in April)
Jose Zapata (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down after throwing in EXST games - post-2013 cervical fracture)
* Rob Zastryzny (ACTIVE REHAB - throwing in "sim" games - foot injury)
# Erick Castillo
Will Remillard (TRAINING CENTER - 2015 TJS)
Miguel Rico (ex-3B
Roney Alcala (formerly a switch-hitter, he is now hitting only RH)
# Varonex Cuevas
# Frandy de la Rosa
Wladimir Galindo (TRAINING CENTER - left wrist injury)
Carlos Jimenez (formerly a switch-hitter, he is now hitting only RH)
* Tommy LaStella (TRAINING CENTER - oblique strain)
Andruw Monasterio (formerly a switch-hitter, he is now hitting only RH)
Mike Olt (ACTIVE REHAB - fractured right wrist)
* Carlos Sepulveda
* Logan Watkins (TRAINING CENTER - 2015 ruptured achilles tendon)
# Roberto Caro
# Robert Garcia
* Ricardo Marcano
Carmelo Martinez (AZL Cubs Manager)
Gary Van Tol (Eugene Manager)
Oscar Bernard (AZL Cubs Hitting Coach)
Ricardo Medina (Eugene Hitting Coach)
Terrmel Sledge (Eugene Assistant Coach)
Anderson Tavares (Eugene Pitching Coach)
Rick Tronerud (Mesa Rehab Pitching Coach)
Ron Villone (AZL Cubs Pitching Coach)
Ty Wright (AZL Cubs Assistant Coach)
STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COACHES
Sean Folan (AZL Cubs)
Ryan Nordvedt (Eugene)
Chuck Baughman (Assistant Minor League Training Coordinator - Mesa Rehab)
Mike McNulty (Eugene)
Toby Williams (AZL Cubs)
Arizona Phil 10 hours 16 min ago (view)
The Cubs have officially signed C-1B Alberto Mineo to a 2020 minor league contract and he has been assigned to AA Tennessee.
A native of Italy, Mineo was signed by the Cubs as a 16 year old J-2 IFA in November 2010. He was one of three players signed by the Cubs out of the MLB European Academy in Turin, Italy in the years 2008-10 (Italian RHP Alex Maestri and Dutch INF Dwayne Kemp were the other two).
Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 4 min ago (view)
No argument there. Plays an excellent violin though.
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
tim815 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
He's better than Taylor Davis.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
He's at a career juncture where I think he is a toss up of he is who he is or there's a little more left for him to achieve. Playing this as his age 27 season he is either in or damn close to his peak. I personally think he doesn't need the everyday playing time, just based on the fact that he's not a top prospect, is older, and doesn't project to be a starter at any spot for a first division team.
Charlie 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
This is the take if you see him as a legit prospect. Which, maybe? I know little about him, and his numbers in limited AAA exposure last season were really nice. Maybe a lively ball helps his career.
bradsbeard 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Sounds like a long shot to get a trade done then. Thanks for clarifying!
Arizona Phil 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: Before making a trade with the Rule 5 Draft pick's former club, the drafting club must first place the player on Outright Assignment Waivers and any of the other MLB clubs can claim the player for the $50,000 waiver price and assume the Rule 5 Draft obligations (actually it's Rule 6 Selected Player obligations, but you know what I mean).
bradsbeard 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
AZ Phil, the "work out a trade" part of Rule 5 is still a mystery to me. Do the Cubs have to put Megill through waivers and (if he clears) offer him back to SD before they can trade for him?
Arizona Phil 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
For those of you who didn't see the game, here are the pitch-velo readings from Wednsdays Cubs - Royals game:
NOTES: An amazing pitcher... he's probably in mid-season form right now... just needs to gradually increase innings...
NOTES: A legit candidate to be the 5th starter
Craig A. 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
Craig A. 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
He'll be 27 in May and he's played in 36 games at AAA. Seems like he should be playing regularly.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
I really like this idea. They've talked of a 3rd catcher as 26th meaning Phegley, who seems a waste of roster space, good spring notwithstanding. Higgins is far more interesting
tim815 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Is Brailyn Marquez getting any time in big league camp? Having him around the veterans would seem a solid use of resources.
Thanks, as always.
Charlie 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Hot take: The Cubs should be considering PJ Higgins as the potential 26th man. 3rd catcher / infield sub who can put the bat on the ball.
I think I'm just stealing an AZ Phil projection from a while ago, actually. But it makes sense!
Charlie 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Zagunis's stock has dropped a lot since his first exposure to MLB pitching. His 2019 at AAA is particularly alarming given the power spike in that league.