Zastryzny Sharp at Riverview
Rashad Crawford belted a lead-off triple into the rightfield corner, Andrew Daniel walked, and then Jeffrey Baez and Chesny Young drilled RBI singles to highlight a three-run 3rd and LHSP Rob Zastryzny tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball for the Angels/Cubs co-op squad, and Samir Duenez doubled in the 7th and drilled an RBI single in the 9th for the Royals, as the two teams played to a 3-3 tie in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action this afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called by mutual agreement after nine innings of play.
Three members of the Kansas City Royals MLB 40-man roster (3B Chestor Cuthbert, LHP Scott Alexander, and RHP Louis Coleman) who were left off the Royals ALDS roster played in the advanced instructs game today, staying sharp while waiting for a possible call-up for the ALCS
About a dozen scouts were on hand to watch Rob Zastryzny and his newly-minted curve ball that has coaches at instructs buzzing. The much-improved breaking ball could get Zastryzny on track to be the pitcher the Cubs hoped he would be when they drafted the 6'3 left-hander out of the University of Missouri in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft.
2015 Carolina League batting champion Chesny Young extended his hitting streak to eight games with his third inning single, and is now hitting .364.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined)
1a. Raul Adalberto Mondesi, SS: 1-2 (F-9, 1B)
1b. Humberto Arteaga, PH-SS: 1-2 (F-8, 1B, R)
2. Orlando Calixte, CF: 0-2 (K, K, BB, BB, 2 R)
3. Chestor Cuthbert, 3B-DH: 0-3 (L-5, K, L-8, BB)
4a. Ryan O'Hearn, 1B: 0-2 (P-5, F-8)
4b. Samir Duenez, 1B: 2-2 (2B, 1B, RBI)
5a. Jorge Bonifacio, DH #1: 0-1 (L-8, BB)
5b. Wander Franco, PH-DH: 0-1 (BB, 3-U, RBI)
6. Hunter Dozier, DH-3B: 0-1 (BB, 5-4 FC, L-8 SF-DP, BB, RBI)
7a. Cam Gallagher, C: 0-2 (F-8, 5-4-3 DP)
7b. Chad Johnson, C: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Alfredo Escalera, LF: 0-3 (K, HBP, 5-3, K)
9a. Anderson Miller, RF: 0-1 (P-2)
9b. Elier Hernandez, PH-RF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
10a. Austin Bailey, 2B: 0-1 (P-4)
10b. Carlos Garcia, 2B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (P-3, 1B, F-8, L-7, R, RBI, SB)
2. Chesny Young, SS: 1-4 (F-9, 1B, K, F-9, RBI, SB)
3. Victor Caratini, C: 0-3 (K, K, BB, F-9)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (1B, BB, 6-4-3 DP, BB, CS)
5. Zach Houchins, 3B: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 5-3, 1B, F-7)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH-LF: 1-3 (K, 3-U, 1B, BB)
7. Charcer Burks, LF-DH: 0-4 (P-4, K, F-8, F-7)
8. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-4 (3B, F-7, 5-3, 4-3, R)
9. Andrew Daniel, 2B: 0-2 (BB, L-8, 6-3, R, SB)
1. Brooks Pounders: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
2. Scott Alexander: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Louis Coleman: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 35 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Eric Skoglund: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 4/5 GO/AO, 54 pitches (34 strikes)
5. Matt Tenuta: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
1. Rob Zastryzny: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1/8 GO/AO, 52 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Tyler Skulina: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 41 pitches (21 strikes)
3. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
4. James Pugliese: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (14 strikes)
5. Steve Perakslis: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
ROYALS ERRORS: 1
C Cam Gallagher - E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 1
P Tyler Skulina: E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Cam Gallagher: 0-2 CS
2. Chad Johnson: 1-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Rashad Crawford - runner (Samir Duenez) thrown out 8-2-5 trying to advance from 2nd to 3rd on F-8 SF
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
ATTENDANCE: 16 (mostly scouts)
crunch 1 hour 39 min ago (view)
happ / rizzo / contreras / schwarber(DH) / maybin(LF) / heyward / baez / kipnis / bote
George Altman 2 hours 55 min ago (view)
Let's hope so. It would be great next year to NOT have to 'piece together a bullpen'.
Arizona Phil 3 hours 16 min ago (view)
DJL: I think that if Lester, Chatwood, Quintana, Jeffress, and Chafin leave via free-agency and do not return or are not replaced by at least one veteran MLB FA SP, the default Cubs 2021 Opening Day pitching staff will be Darvish, Hendricks, Mills (out of options), Alzolay (could be out of options - TBD), and either Rea, T. Miller, Steele, Abbott, Marquez, or D.
Arizona Phil 4 hours 10 min ago (view)
I understand that any team can win a three-game series, but if I'm a division winner I'd want to be the #3 seed rather than the #2 seed in both the A. L. and the N. L., because I would rather face the worst second place team (Houston in the A. L. and probably Miami or Philadelphia in N. L.) than the best wild card team (Cleveland in the A. L. and probably Cincinnati or Milwaukee in the N.L.).
Hagsag 12 hours 13 min ago (view)
Maybe, if he makes the roster!
Charlie 17 hours 46 min ago (view)
Jose Martinez is going to hit some big post season homerun, isn't he?
Cubster 20 hours 34 min ago (view)
Is the Chafin experiment over yet?
crunch 20 hours 41 min ago (view)
well that sucked.
even with the loss the cubs officially clinched a playoff slot tonight, though.
crunch 20 hours 49 min ago (view)
oh, it's totally the hitters unless the coach is forcing guys into trying ill advised changes...which is doubtful to the point of obsurdity for this many slumping hitters.
it's just that a near team-wide hitting outage with no one getting "fixed" isn't a good look for a hitting coach.
Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 49 sec ago (view)
How many hitting coaches would that be over the past five years?
At a certain point maybe it's just the hitters? I love the current group but we've been burning through hitting coaches recently
crunch 21 hours 28 min ago (view)
anthony iapoce might want to start updating his resume...
i'm not saying it's his fault, but it doesn't seem like much is going right with the bats and it's getting worse over time.
Dolorous Jon Lester 22 hours 48 min ago (view)
I look at the 8 man pen for next year and would assume 6 RHP 2 LHP. The LHP would currently be two of Ryan, Wieck, and Steele (and I guess Osich but I suspect he's non-tendered).
The 6 RHP would be from Kimbrel, Wick, Tepera, Adam, Underwood, Alzolay, Winkler, Rea (and potentially others). I feel like they're only keeping one of Tepera/ Winkler for final arb year. Tough to say which is better value at this point.
crunch 23 hours 7 min ago (view)
im impressed tepera has "only" given up 2hr in 19.2ip, but i wouldn't hold out on that holding up. also, his control is sketchy as ever...
he's got promising stuff, but at age 33 (few weeks from now) what more does he have to learn/show?
it would probably cost the cubs 1.5m or so to keep him around (900K this year). they liked something about him to pick him up, but who knows where that's at now...
Arizona Phil 23 hours 59 min ago (view)
Two Cubs reached significant milestones today:
1. OF Jason Heyward now has "10/5 no trade" rights and so he cannot be traded without his consent (he had a partial "no trade" the past couple of seasons);
crunch 1 day 33 min ago (view)
happ / contreras / rizzo / baez / schwarber / bote(3rd) / maybin(RF) / martinez(DH) / hoerner(2nd)
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
r.brothers, down...Q, up