Zastryzny Sharp at Riverview
Rashad Crawford belted a lead-off triple into the rightfield corner, Andrew Daniel walked, and then Jeffrey Baez and Chesny Young drilled RBI singles to highlight a three-run 3rd and LHSP Rob Zastryzny tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball for the Angels/Cubs co-op squad, and Samir Duenez doubled in the 7th and drilled an RBI single in the 9th for the Royals, as the two teams played to a 3-3 tie in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action this afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called by mutual agreement after nine innings of play.
Three members of the Kansas City Royals MLB 40-man roster (3B Chestor Cuthbert, LHP Scott Alexander, and RHP Louis Coleman) who were left off the Royals ALDS roster played in the advanced instructs game today, staying sharp while waiting for a possible call-up for the ALCS
About a dozen scouts were on hand to watch Rob Zastryzny and his newly-minted curve ball that has coaches at instructs buzzing. The much-improved breaking ball could get Zastryzny on track to be the pitcher the Cubs hoped he would be when they drafted the 6'3 left-hander out of the University of Missouri in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft.
2015 Carolina League batting champion Chesny Young extended his hitting streak to eight games with his third inning single, and is now hitting .364.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined)
1a. Raul Adalberto Mondesi, SS: 1-2 (F-9, 1B)
1b. Humberto Arteaga, PH-SS: 1-2 (F-8, 1B, R)
2. Orlando Calixte, CF: 0-2 (K, K, BB, BB, 2 R)
3. Chestor Cuthbert, 3B-DH: 0-3 (L-5, K, L-8, BB)
4a. Ryan O'Hearn, 1B: 0-2 (P-5, F-8)
4b. Samir Duenez, 1B: 2-2 (2B, 1B, RBI)
5a. Jorge Bonifacio, DH #1: 0-1 (L-8, BB)
5b. Wander Franco, PH-DH: 0-1 (BB, 3-U, RBI)
6. Hunter Dozier, DH-3B: 0-1 (BB, 5-4 FC, L-8 SF-DP, BB, RBI)
7a. Cam Gallagher, C: 0-2 (F-8, 5-4-3 DP)
7b. Chad Johnson, C: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Alfredo Escalera, LF: 0-3 (K, HBP, 5-3, K)
9a. Anderson Miller, RF: 0-1 (P-2)
9b. Elier Hernandez, PH-RF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
10a. Austin Bailey, 2B: 0-1 (P-4)
10b. Carlos Garcia, 2B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (P-3, 1B, F-8, L-7, R, RBI, SB)
2. Chesny Young, SS: 1-4 (F-9, 1B, K, F-9, RBI, SB)
3. Victor Caratini, C: 0-3 (K, K, BB, F-9)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (1B, BB, 6-4-3 DP, BB, CS)
5. Zach Houchins, 3B: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 5-3, 1B, F-7)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH-LF: 1-3 (K, 3-U, 1B, BB)
7. Charcer Burks, LF-DH: 0-4 (P-4, K, F-8, F-7)
8. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-4 (3B, F-7, 5-3, 4-3, R)
9. Andrew Daniel, 2B: 0-2 (BB, L-8, 6-3, R, SB)
1. Brooks Pounders: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
2. Scott Alexander: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Louis Coleman: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 35 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Eric Skoglund: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 4/5 GO/AO, 54 pitches (34 strikes)
5. Matt Tenuta: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
1. Rob Zastryzny: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1/8 GO/AO, 52 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Tyler Skulina: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 41 pitches (21 strikes)
3. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
4. James Pugliese: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (14 strikes)
5. Steve Perakslis: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
ROYALS ERRORS: 1
C Cam Gallagher - E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 1
P Tyler Skulina: E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Cam Gallagher: 0-2 CS
2. Chad Johnson: 1-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Rashad Crawford - runner (Samir Duenez) thrown out 8-2-5 trying to advance from 2nd to 3rd on F-8 SF
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
ATTENDANCE: 16 (mostly scouts)
Cubster 1 min 4 sec ago (view)
Don't get too giddy but...
One Quarter of the schedule is complete.
Pace is for a 48-12 record which when extrapolated to 162 games is about 130 win season.
Is it all downhill from here?
Cardinals at White Sox game tomorrow is possibly canceled per Sun-Times reporting that Bob Nightengale of USA Today and Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported the postponement.
Eric S 27 min 7 sec ago (view)
Brewers Game 1: KB (LF), Rizzo, Javy, Willson (DH), Happ, Bote (3B), Souza (RF), Nico, Caratini, Darvish
Eric S 17 hours 17 min ago (view)
Reds just lost in tough fashion to the Royals. Down 5-4 in the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, one out and rap into a 5-4-3 dp to end it.
crunch 17 hours 51 min ago (view)
no kimbrel...but another decent jeffress outing
Cubster 17 hours 58 min ago (view)
Fly the W.
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 48 min ago (view)
So we keep Phegley ostensibly to get Caratini into lineup as DH and have a different backup C so we don't get caught in the exact situation we knowingly and avoidably put ourselves in tonight?
crunch 19 hours 5 min ago (view)
this game is now "bryant watch"...also will 4 runs be enough for kimbrel? gotta imagine he's due to get work even if it's not a save situation.
crunch 19 hours 28 min ago (view)
early returns on that bomb to LF are looking good.
Charlie 19 hours 34 min ago (view)
That one looked like it got all bone. Here's hoping it didn't go full Todd Hollandsworth.
Eric S 20 hours 58 min ago (view)
Cubs did both Dietrich and the Rangers a solid
Wouldn't be a season without the Cubs and Rangers having some form of transaction
crunch 21 hours 59 min ago (view)
called up and in the lineup for TEX tonight. hell of a few days for him.
Eric S 23 hours 51 min ago (view)
Cleveland Game 2: KB (LF), Rizzo, Javy, Willson, Happ, JHey, Bote (3B), Caratini (DH), Kipnis
Schwarber was in initial lineup but removed due to a knee contusion - I imagine a result of the hard breaking ball which popped him in the knee last night.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Rea has been a very nice surprise so far. Hopefully he can keep it up this year and going forward. We have a few more years of team control.
Eric S 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Rea bringing the heat 94-96 - and retires the heart of the Indians lineup in order. He's looked impressive in his two appearances.
Eric S 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Happ's bat being on fire is pleasing to the eye
Eric S 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
He's the anti-Kimbrel