Skulina with Five Strong Frames at Riverview
Natanael Delgado (Angels) drilled a lead-off double, Charcer Burks (Cubs) ripped an RBI single, and Andrew Daniel (Angels) clubbed a two-run home run to highlight a three-run 2nd, and RHSP Tyler Skulina (Cubs) tossed five innings of one-run ball, leading the Angels/Cubs co-op squad to a 4-1 victory over the Diamondbacks in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action this afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined)
1. Colin Bray, CF: 1-4 (3-U, 1B, L-9, 4-3)
2. Domingo Leyba, 2B: 2-4 (3-1, L-6, 1B, 1B)
3. Zach Nehrir, LF: 0-4 (5-3, P-3, 6-4-3 DP, 6-3)
4. Austin Byler, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, K, F-7)
5a. Dawel Lugo, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, F-9)
5b. Henry Castillo, 3B: 1-2 (2B, F-7)
6. Stryker Trahan, RF: 0-2 (K, BB, L-4 DP)
7. Grant Heyman, DH: 1-3 (2B, K, K, R)
8a. Jose Herrera, C: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
8b. Tyler Baker, C: 0-1 (K)
9. Sergio Alcantara, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-7, 2B, RBI, SB, CS)
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-4 (K, K, 3-1, P-5)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-3 (BB, 4-3, K, 1B, R, SB)
3. Victor Caratini, C: 0-4 (3-6-1 DP, K, 6-3, 4-3)
4. Natanael Delgado, DH: 2-4 (2B, 1B, K, K, R)
5. Wade Wass, 1B: 1-4 (5-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1B)
6. Charcer Burks, CF 1-4 (1B, P-4, 5-3, F-8, R, RBI)
7. Andrew Daniel, 3B: 2-3 (HR, 1B, 5-3, R, 2 RBI)
8. Kody Eaves, SS: 0-3 (F-8, F-9, F-8)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-4, SB)
1. Justin Donatella: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Luis Madero: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Junior Garcia: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jeferson Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Dallas Newton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
1. Tyler Skulina: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 5/6 GO/AO, 65 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Jordan Minch: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Matt Brazis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Steve Perakslis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
DIAMONDBACKS ERRORS: NONE
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: NONE
DIAMONDBACKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jose Herrera: 0-1 CS
2. Tyler Baker: 0-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Victor Caratini: 1-2 CS
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Charcer Burks - batter (Sergio Alcantara) thrown out 8-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Eric S 1 hour 8 min ago (view)
Edwin took the L today in team USA's extra inning loss to Japan - should be able to help the Cubs efforts to secure a high draft pick soon.
Arizona Phil 4 hours 48 min ago (view)
Even though the MLB Trade Deadline has passed, Cubs minor leaguers with MLB experience like RHSP Joe Biagini, LHRP Tony Cingrani, RHRP Ryan Meisinger, OF Ian Miller, and RHSP Adrian Sampson can still be traded up until one week prior to the scheduled conclusion of the MLB reegular season, and I would expect each of them to get some interest from contending teams prior to the August 31 midnight post-season roster eligibilty deadline.
cubbies.4ever 16 hours 54 min ago (view)
Still haven't seen/heard if Cubs signed 19th rd Daniel Avitia, the last of the unsigned or declined.
crunch 17 hours 6 min ago (view)
imagine he'll go into indie ball somewhere and hope he doesn't end up like matt harrington.
Sonicwind75 17 hours 31 min ago (view)
So is Kumar going "pro" by taking a KBO contract next season or something like that or does he just work out for a year? Not sure what the rules are for a player in his situation.
Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 23 min ago (view)
Good. Suck it Mets
crunch 21 hours 30 min ago (view)
mets fail to sign k.rocker.
at the time it was considered a hell of a pick when he fell so far (11th pick). he was considered a top-5 pick for most of the year, #1 for a chunk of it. his medicals (elbow) gave the mets pause offering him slot value. his agent, boras, says he's healthy.
he will not return to vandy and will go "pro"...he returns to the draft next year and the mets get a compensation 11th pick in round 1 next season.
crunch 22 hours 9 min ago (view)
rizzo, baez, and bryant all homered in their 1st game with their new team.
Dolorous Jon Lester 22 hours 42 min ago (view)
Winning very much to a backseat to profits. I would imagine it always kinda was that way, but it became very obvious after the title. I think when ownership saw Darvish struggle year one, that was that, no more free agent spending. And never adjusted after it became clear Darvish was back starting midway through year two.
Charlie 22 hours 53 min ago (view)
Ownership absolutely decided sometime after 2016 that fans owed them and not the other way atound.
Dolorous Jon Lester 23 hours 1 min ago (view)
To be fair they also did a good job bringing in talent to the system that they were able to use to make trades. And a few solid signings such as Lester and Zobrist.
I think part of it was the hunger mostly vanished after the title and things needed to be switched up to kick people in the ass a tad. Add a level of being hamstrung by Heyward deal, no one coming up to replace the lost farm system talent or aging players, no one but Rizzo and Hendricks signing extensions, and here we are
crunch 23 hours 3 min ago (view)
HUGE standing O for bryant. they're loving it.
Cubster 23 hours 28 min ago (view)
The Chicago Ortegas
crunch 23 hours 28 min ago (view)
who though we'd have "the ortega game" today? alright, then.
Cubster 23 hours 52 min ago (view)
Rizzo leading off for Yanks today
crunch 23 hours 53 min ago (view)
the cubs had years of 1st round picks gained by tanking do well and they got very lucky with the arrietta/strop trade. strop is especially underappreciated in that trade. theo obviously wanted rizzo badly, and made the right call there. hendricks was a complex back/forth trade because of player injuries, but at the end of the day the cubs wanted hendricks and they made the right call there, too.
aside from that, it looks a lot like it's been for decades.