2015 Winter Meetings (Day Three)

Maddon finally gets his Zobrist, Castro is a Yankee, and Dusty Baker reminds everyone why he should never be allowed near a microphone.

In other news, the Cards traded Jay for the soon-to-be All-star Gyrko, and AZ meets Altanta's asking price for Miller.

Supposedly, the Cubs are not done, so let's get at it!

Comments

Like I said in the previous thread. Javy is staying. Maddon loves the guy because he can probably play all nine positions. Yes, he can probably pitch, too. In fact, Javy is a bit like Zobrist with a lower OBP and a lot more power. Now, I hope I'm wrong about Heyward and they go make their big splash on him. I hate modern free agency, but if you're gonna do it, do it on a guy his age who probably hasn't reached his ceiling yet.

I'm glad they got something for Starlin, especially someone who could actually have some very high upside still. I think the Cubs approach to starters points to a possible multi-pitcher approach to the fourth and fifth starters where you have basically 3 guys pitching in one game and plan it that way. The Cubs are really stocking up on swing man types. I liked Starlin a lot, but I lost trust in him. Even during his great run at the end of the year, I just couldn't get excited to see that he was in the on deck circle. That sinking feeling just never went away. I hope he has 10 great years with the Yankees. It may turn out that we'll look back someday and think, Warren what? Who was that guy? But the trade had to be made I think. And that was a nice reward for that end of season effort on his part. The Yankees. Hate them if you want, but what ballplayer can't love the idea of being in a Yankee uniform? Good luck Starlin, you won me over again with your no whining, balls out play at the end of the year, my trust issues not withstanding!

I saw a graphic on my twitter last night regarding Zobrist: "36.7 WAR from 2006-2014, 14th best in MLB" (@MLBStatoftheDay), so that's something. My only problem with all of this is that Castro was traded for a guy I've never heard of. That just seems wrong to me- but then again I haven't stayed up-to-date on the Yankees so I guess I just have to trust that the Cubs know what they are doing.

Castro for Zobrist, Warren and a PTNL. Love these moves. While their line up gets older in the short run, they gain defensive and lineup flexibility. Given the depth of young middle infielders in the majors and minors, swapping a [25/26] year old for a 34 year old in return for additional pitching depth seems like an efficient use of resources. As the it is more or less salary neutral, it allows them to acquire a center fielder or additional pitching.

These are good udeas up in here.

I had no real problem with Castro, but it feels like he was about the least-beloved Cubs "star" of recent vintage. I was hoping he'd go instead of Baez. The more I read about Warren, the more I like him. A good friend of mine who's a Yankees fan said he was sorry to see him go.

I understand Zobrist's nickname is "Zorilla." Is that set in stone, or can we give it another round of brainstorming? (I also will exercise a veto on "Benzo.")

Zoby? Or is that too Quade-esque?

It's funny, I remember when Quade would say those and the Cubs media would roast him, on Twitter especially. And then I'd read/listen to other managers and a lot of them do the same thing.

Zobroastrianism The Mark of Zobro The Big Zobrowsky

Zobroastrianism +1 Although not a nickname I don't think, it would be what happens when someone achieves something. "Alcantara has stayed in the minors because he was unable to live up to the Zobroastrianism philosophy that Maddon expected." "Castro wouldn't subscribe to the Zobroastrianism faith, so he was traded." "Baez may be a Zobroastrianism convert, but probably more in the field than at the plate."

The Zolocaust?

Maddon calling him Zo at the presser...

So late in the afternoon, or early in the evening, he'll be The Twilight Zo?

I love that we could lose Jake, Jon, John, Jason, and Kyle for the season and still have a legit chance to not be a bottom-5 rotation. That's pretty amazing. Go TheoCorp.

Pretty sure they would be a bottom 1 rotation if they lose their entire rotation.

Warren, Wood, Richard, Cahill, Edwards is probably not the worst rotation in baseball and has a realistic chance to be average.

Both halves of this hypothetical are silly. I approve.

"Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 #Cubs finished 2d for Shelby Miller. Were willing to include Soler. But Atl liked #Diamondbacks deal too much to pass up"

That deal was absurd. No way the Cubs should try to compete with that.

"But Atl liked #Diamondbacks deal too much to pass up" No shit!??! HHAHAHA! Dave Stewart and LaRussa are idiots.

As CRUNCH always says, "The Diamondbacks are only an arm injury away from..."

it's leg injury, not arm injury...and it's about guys who's game depends on their legs to get hits, stretching doubles, or getting stats-inflating triples that highly relies on leg health. there's more than a few guys out there who are a leg injury away from having their doubles/triples turn into singles/doubles and becoming outs they didn't beat to the bag attempting singles. that said, i think greenkey/miller/corbin/hellickson/anderson/ray can hold the fort down until a.bradley shows up mlb-ready.

I thought they brought LaRussa in to fix Stewart's idiocy.

Actually, Towers was GM when LaRussa was brought in. He is the one who hired Stewart.

“We can continue to listen to anything that comes our way,” Epstein said. “We still have a little bit of a potential surplus with our position-player group and we haven’t moved any of our emerging players yet in any deals. But we don’t have to act out of need or desperation. We can be pretty selective.” http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/what%E2%80%99s...

pretty much...and they have 3+ months before they have to seriously think about what they're doing with their on-hand talent going into spring training. they only "need" a CF'r and it seems baez might be an option there rather than tossing prospects wildly to fill the need. aside from having youth, baez is an extremely hard worker who would most likely give it his best trying to adapt to CF. they can wait for their deal, if one's available.

I think it's going to be Span on a 1 year flier.

Jaco - your movie is out; SEE IT! http://jacopastorius.com/film/

haha, thanks!

Now that they have their OBP guy, Baez in CF might be more feasible, assuming he can handle the position.

"Pirates acquired LHP Jon Niese from the Mets for 2B Neil Walker." mets land on a n.walker trade after losing out on zobrist

"Carrie Muskat ‏@CarrieMuskat Hoyer also doesn't anticipate #Cubs doing anything more in Nashville. Still do need CF. Still exploring free agents/trades"

• JustSayin' 1 day 1 hour ago (view)

The organizations will cut rosters down, as if the full-season teams were breaking camp to start the season, THEN pay the remaining minor leaguers $400/week or whatever.  That's similar to what costs would have normally been but the "one last chance" players who got spring training invitations this year and didn't have an obvious roster spot won't be getting their last chance.

• crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

"According to Jeff Passan of ESPN, all minor league players will be receiving $400 per week from MLB through at least May 31."

so that's where that promise landed.  the scary thing is that's still more than some in the low minors make on a weekly basis.

• crunch 3 days 19 hours ago (view)

"Jeff Passan of ESPN writes that the players and league agreed that the 2020 season won't start until "there are no bans on mass gatherings that limit the ability to play in front of fans, there are no travel restrictions and medical experts determine games will not pose a risk to health of teams and fans." Passan does add that the two sides "will consider the feasibility of playing in empty stadiums" and also at neutral sites.

• crunch 4 days 58 min ago (view)

i miss baseball.  it could happen in june...it may happen in late may...it might not happen either way.

there's so many things getting messed up right now i would get lost making a list.  there's some college guys making a serious "okay, we need to look at that guy" push that's dead.  former cubs draft pick russell smith (2017, LHP highschool) took last season off for injury (TCU college) and returned with a low 90s fastball, impressive control, and a MLB-quality changeup.  his "comeback" was 4 games and done thanks to this current situation...

• JustSayin' 4 days 3 hours ago (view)

COVID 19 + a short draft + Manfred's obsessive drive to shrink the minor leagues will change baseball forever.  It WAS still America's grass roots sport.  Where I live, from June through August, you could see a quality live game any day of the week, within an hour's drive.  I believe that era is over.  What's going on will have ripple effects, contracting serious college ball, college summer leagues and independent pro ball just as much as the MiLB systems.  With those changes, some of the game's charm will also go.  I've seen a kid from Cape Cod play in the Ca

• crunch 5 days 1 hour ago (view)

fyi for anyone who bought MLB.tv

for "some reason" getting a cancel+refund via phone is like pulling teeth, but if you contact them via a webpage contact request many people are getting a cancel+refund confirmation within an hour or 2...

• bradsbeard 5 days 8 hours ago (view)

I imagine because the new labor agreement freezes rosters as of whenever the agreement is approved by the owners and it might affect what those guys are paid under the agreement.

• Hagsag 5 days 10 hours ago (view)

AZ Phil. what was the reason that a whole bunch of teams optioned or assigned players to the minor leagues yesterday on March 26 ? Thanks.

• Arizona Phil 5 days 14 hours ago (view)

jdrnym: Ordinarily, players on an MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) who are on Optional Assignment to the minors do not accrue MLB Service Time, are paid at the minor league rate rather than at the MLB rate if the player has a "split" contract, and if the player gets hurt or becomes sick after being optioned, he can be placed on a minor league IL instead of on an MLB IL (so that he cannot accrue MLB Service Time or be paid at the MLB rate while he is on the IL). Also, a player who is optioned to the minors for at least 20 days will burn an option year.

• jdrnym 6 days 3 hours ago (view)

AZPhil, what are the technical ramifications of optioning/not optioning guys during this period of no baseball? Seems like some teams are more eager than others to trim their roster down.

• crunch 1 week 6 hours ago (view)

"Major League Baseball has agreed with the MLBPA to grant a full year of service time to players in 2020 regardless of how many games the schedule includes.

Rosenthal adds, however, that the two sides have agreed to "table discussions" on how much service time the players would receive if the worst-case scenario plays out and the 2020 season has to be canceled entirely due to the coronavirus pandemic."

---

• bradsbeard 1 week 2 days ago (view)

This one has me scratching my head too. Surely they knew Lakins would have a hard time clearing waivers. Hate to just lose Pereda like that. Feels like they gave up more for Lakins than for Sadler, and I'm guessing Sadler might have been slightly more likely to clear waivers since he's out of options.

• Arizona Phil 1 week 2 days ago (view)

I think the most puzzling aspect to the Travis Lakins Caper is that the only plausible reason for the Cubs to have struck a pre-emptive trade with the Red Sox instead of waiting and hoping to win a waiver claim is that the Cubs believed that another club with a better waiver claim priority would almost certainly claim him. So to ensure that they would be able to acquire Lakins, the Cubs must have offered the Red Sox something more than the $50,000 waiver price, otherwise there would have been no point in the Red Sox agreeing to the deal.

• crunch 1 week 2 days ago (view)

RedSox acquire catcher Jhonny Pereda from the #Cubs, completing the January 21 trade for RHP Travis Lakins

...cubs lost lakins on waivers to BAL, btw

• erich081 1 week 2 days ago (view)

I wore my Rick Wilkins #2 shirsey today and kept thinking real baseball was only a week away. And then I remembered this weird alternate reality we've seemed to have slipped into. Hope everyone stays healthy and safe.

• Hagsag 1 week 2 days ago (view)

I am installing a padded room to sit in until this hell is over.