Cubs Play Triple-Header Ball at Riverview Park
Dan Vogelbach drove-in five runs with a grand slam home run and a bases-loaded walk and Matt Murton doubled, walked twice, and scored two runs, leading the Iowa Cubs (the AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) to a 7-3 victory over the Nashville Sounds (Oakland Athletics AAA affiliate) on Field #6, Shawon Dunston Jr clubbed a two-run HR and Billy McKinney and Jacob Rogers singled and doubled, but it wasn't anywhere near enough as the Midland Rockhounds (A's AA affiliate) belted out 14 hits (including three triples, a double, and a home run) en route to a 9-4 victory over the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) on Field #5, and Gleyber Torres drilled a single and an RBI double, scored a run, and stole two bases, as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) cruised to an 8-4 victory over the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) in Minor League Camp game action this afternoon at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The three games were played simultaneously.
As usual, several players were moved up to higher levels just for the day.
John Arguello from Cubs Den was at the game, and (as usual) he has some great pics & commentary posted over there
Here are the abridged box scores (Cubs players only) from the games played on Field 5 & 6, and the box score from the game played on Field #4:
1. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-4 (P-6, 2B, P-6, K)
2a. Mark Zagunis, LF: 0-3 (3-U, F-8, F-9)
2b. Michael Foster; LF: 0-0 (BB)
3. Billy McKinney, RF: 2-4 (3-U, F-7, 2B, 1B, R)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-4 (E-6, K, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
5a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, P-6, R)
5b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (5-3)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 1-4 (HR, F-8, F-8, 3-U, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Chesny Young, 2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
7b, Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (1-3, BB)
8a. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
8b. David Bote, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
9a. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (1-3, P-3)
9b, Luis Ayala, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Jonathan Martinez: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 48 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
3. James Farris: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 25 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Gerardo Concepcion: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
5. Scott Effross: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (14 strikes)
6. Josh Conway: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 0/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
7. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 2
1. C Gioskar Amaya: E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
2. 3B Adonis Paula: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1-4 CS, 1 E (see above)
1. Mike O'Neill, CF: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, 3-U,5-3)
2a. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3)
2b. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-1 (1-3)
3a. Matt Murton, DH #1: 1-1 (BB, 2B, BB, 2 R, CS)
3b. David Freitas, C: 1-1 (1B)
4a. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-8, 2 R)
4b. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-1 (6-3)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (HR, BB, L-4, F-9, R, 5 RBI)
6. Ryan Kalish, DH #2: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7a. Bijan Rademacher, RF: 0-1 (BB, BB, 4-3, RBI)
7b. Roberto Caro, RF: 0-1 (3-1)
8. Anthony Giansanti, LF: 0-3 (BB, K, 4-3, P-3)
9. Ben Carhart, C-DH: 1-3 (4-3, 4-3, 2B)
10. Ryan Dent, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, 4-3, SB)
1. Eric Jokisch: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 34 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Armando Rivero: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Andury Acevedo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Scott Barnes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Miguel Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
6. Nick Greenwood: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
7. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
8. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (12 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, R)
1b. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-1 (K)
2a. Isaac Paredes, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, 6-3)
2b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-0 (F-9 SF, RBI)
3a. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 0-3 (6-3, 5-3, K, RBI)
3b. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-0 (BB)
4a. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-8)
4b. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
5a. Matt Rose, 3B: 0-3 (F-7, L-6, 5-3)
5b. Andruw Monasterio, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-8)
6b. Eric Gonzalez, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
7a. P. J. Higgins, C: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, PO)
7b. Tyler Payne, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
7c. Kwang-Min Kwon, PH: 1-1 (1B)
8a. Blake Headley, DH: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
8b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
9a. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-7)
9b. Angelo Amendolare, 2B: 0-2 (E-5, K, R, RBI, SB)
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-1 (L-4, BB, R, SB)
1b. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-2 (3B, P-6, R, RBI)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-3 (1B, 2B, F-7, BB, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3a. Ian Happ, 2B: 1-1 (1B, BB, RBI, SB)
3b. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 1-2 (3B, 5-4 FC, R)
4a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (4-3, HBP)
4b. Yohan Matos, RF: 0-2 (E-9, F-8)
5a. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B: 0-2 (K, F-9 DP)
5b. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-1 (K)
6. Donnie Dewees, LF-CF: 1-1 (1B, BB, BB, R, SB, CS)
7a. Ian Rice, C: 0-1 (BB, P-5)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-0 (BB, R)
8. Daniel Spingola, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, F-8, E-4, R, RBI)
9a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
9b. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
10. Andrew Ely, DH #2: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Dylan Cease: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 37 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Junior Marte: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/AO, 42 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Jesus Camargo: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 24 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Trey Masek: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 46 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Justin Steele: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2/4 GO/AO, 52 pitches (36 strikes)
3. Kyle Twomey: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (4 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 3
1. RF Eddy Julio Martinez: E-9 (dropped catch allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Angelo Amendolare: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. C Tyler Payne: E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. P Jake Stinnett: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Andruw Monasterio: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. P. J. Higgins: 2-6 CS
2. Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Ian Rice: 1 PO
2. Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 10 hours 16 min ago (view)
i wonder where the cubs will go with things.
there's a lot pointing to the cubs being expected to listen to offers on almost anyone. as it is, on paper, the cubs could roll right into 2020 with no changes whatsoever and still field a very competitive team. the whole "shakeup" thing seems to be a very hot topic from a variety of sources, though.
bryant, contreras, schwarber have all been linked to "cubs may be listening" rumors...probably listening to anything on happ, bote, almora, russell, too...
Hagsag 10 hours 43 min ago (view)
Even the Cubs should be able to out bid the Marlins!
crunch 10 hours 50 min ago (view)
"According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Marlins are "believed" to have interest in free agent outfielder Nicholas Castellanos."
by interest, i assume they mean they'd like to have some baseball rookie cards or his or maybe a hug from him. i can't imagine they actually want to spend money on someone they could use to make their team better because that makes no sense.
Arizona Phil 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Prior to joining the Cubs in 2012 Scott Harris was Director of Baseball Operations in the MLB office, which means he received, reviewed, and approved all major league and minor league contracts and transactions, as well as providing MLB clubs with schedules, rules updates, and draft information.
Cubster 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Giants hire Scott Harris, from Cubs front office, as GM
Charlie 2 days 13 hours ago (view)
For anyone else who immediately wonders but is not invested enough to look it up, this is not Chris (Ryan) Young, former Padres starter and fisticuffs partner of Derrek Lee, but rather the two-years younger Chris Matthew Young.
crunch 3 days 50 min ago (view)
rev up those off-season rumor fryers...
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan
Multiple teams in search of catching help believe Cubs catcher Willson Contreras will be available this winter. The Cubs will get creative this winter, and with a deep catching free agent market, they could trade Contreras and begin retooling under new manager David Ross.
crunch 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
former padres manager andy green is gonna be ross's bench coach.
green was c.rea's manager in SD, btw.
Arizona Phil 3 days 11 hours ago (view)
Last year the Cubs signed four free-agents to minor league contracts prior to the Rule 5 Draft: LHP Alberto Baldonado, OF Wynton Bernard, RHP Corey Black, and RHP Jose Rosario. All four were members of the Cubs organization in 2018 but declined to sign a 2019 minor league successor contract prior to being declared a free-agent, but then came back to the Cubs after briefly testing the free-agent waters.
crunch 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
chris young to be named new bullpen coach (former phillies pitching coach)
mixed messages on whether lester strode will have a new cubs role or leaving the cubs...
crunch 4 days 9 hours ago (view)
t.clifton straight up falling off a cliff sucked to watch happen last year.
i had a lot of faith in the guy to at least hold his own in AAA, even if he needed another season or 2 after to get ready for prime time.
he ended up giving out homers like candy on halloween while retaining his high walk and injury rate.
that said, his career is far from done. most likely many other teams willing to give him a minor league deal.
Arizona Phil 4 days 13 hours ago (view)
Keep in mind that most free-agents who sign a 2020 minor league contract prior to the Rule 5 Draft are eligible for selection. (The only exception would be a free-agent who is not yet eligible for selection in the Rule 5 Draft, such as a player whose only previous pro experience was in a foreign major league or in an independent minor league, or a player who was released by another MLB organization but is still not yet eligible for selection in the Rule 5 Draft).
Arizona Phil 4 days 14 hours ago (view)
If you're wondering if players who sign minor league successor contracts ever get taken in the Rule 5 Draft, the answer is most definitely - YES -.
The Cubs selected RHP Hector Rondon in the 2012 Rule 5 Draft after the Indians signed him to a minor league successor contract, and the Baltimore Orioles selected RHP Pedro Araujo in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft after the Cubs signed him to a minor league successor contract.
Hagsag 4 days 14 hours ago (view)
Got to get Taylor Davis back.
Arizona Phil 4 days 14 hours ago (view)
So the Cubs were ultimately able to retain five of their seven most-valuable post-2019 minor league free-agent eligibles (Rea, Pereda, de la Cruz, Lugo, and Burks), losing only Clifton and Leal (both of whom are probably looking for a fresh start in another organization after maybe feeling stalled in the Cubs system).
crunch 5 days 10 hours ago (view)
that's some of that 4-D chess i keep hearing about.
checkmate, boras. cub gets 10 more years of club control for bryant.