Cubs Play Triple-Header Ball at Riverview Park
Dan Vogelbach drove-in five runs with a grand slam home run and a bases-loaded walk and Matt Murton doubled, walked twice, and scored two runs, leading the Iowa Cubs (the AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) to a 7-3 victory over the Nashville Sounds (Oakland Athletics AAA affiliate) on Field #6, Shawon Dunston Jr clubbed a two-run HR and Billy McKinney and Jacob Rogers singled and doubled, but it wasn't anywhere near enough as the Midland Rockhounds (A's AA affiliate) belted out 14 hits (including three triples, a double, and a home run) en route to a 9-4 victory over the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) on Field #5, and Gleyber Torres drilled a single and an RBI double, scored a run, and stole two bases, as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) cruised to an 8-4 victory over the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) in Minor League Camp game action this afternoon at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The three games were played simultaneously.
As usual, several players were moved up to higher levels just for the day.
John Arguello from Cubs Den was at the game, and (as usual) he has some great pics & commentary posted over there
Here are the abridged box scores (Cubs players only) from the games played on Field 5 & 6, and the box score from the game played on Field #4:
1. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-4 (P-6, 2B, P-6, K)
2a. Mark Zagunis, LF: 0-3 (3-U, F-8, F-9)
2b. Michael Foster; LF: 0-0 (BB)
3. Billy McKinney, RF: 2-4 (3-U, F-7, 2B, 1B, R)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-4 (E-6, K, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
5a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, P-6, R)
5b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (5-3)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 1-4 (HR, F-8, F-8, 3-U, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Chesny Young, 2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
7b, Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (1-3, BB)
8a. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
8b. David Bote, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
9a. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (1-3, P-3)
9b, Luis Ayala, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Jonathan Martinez: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 48 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
3. James Farris: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 25 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Gerardo Concepcion: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
5. Scott Effross: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (14 strikes)
6. Josh Conway: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 0/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
7. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 2
1. C Gioskar Amaya: E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
2. 3B Adonis Paula: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1-4 CS, 1 E (see above)
1. Mike O'Neill, CF: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, 3-U,5-3)
2a. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3)
2b. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-1 (1-3)
3a. Matt Murton, DH #1: 1-1 (BB, 2B, BB, 2 R, CS)
3b. David Freitas, C: 1-1 (1B)
4a. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-8, 2 R)
4b. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-1 (6-3)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (HR, BB, L-4, F-9, R, 5 RBI)
6. Ryan Kalish, DH #2: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7a. Bijan Rademacher, RF: 0-1 (BB, BB, 4-3, RBI)
7b. Roberto Caro, RF: 0-1 (3-1)
8. Anthony Giansanti, LF: 0-3 (BB, K, 4-3, P-3)
9. Ben Carhart, C-DH: 1-3 (4-3, 4-3, 2B)
10. Ryan Dent, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, 4-3, SB)
1. Eric Jokisch: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 34 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Armando Rivero: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Andury Acevedo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Scott Barnes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Miguel Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
6. Nick Greenwood: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
7. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
8. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (12 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, R)
1b. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-1 (K)
2a. Isaac Paredes, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, 6-3)
2b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-0 (F-9 SF, RBI)
3a. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 0-3 (6-3, 5-3, K, RBI)
3b. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-0 (BB)
4a. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-8)
4b. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
5a. Matt Rose, 3B: 0-3 (F-7, L-6, 5-3)
5b. Andruw Monasterio, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-8)
6b. Eric Gonzalez, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
7a. P. J. Higgins, C: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, PO)
7b. Tyler Payne, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
7c. Kwang-Min Kwon, PH: 1-1 (1B)
8a. Blake Headley, DH: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
8b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
9a. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-7)
9b. Angelo Amendolare, 2B: 0-2 (E-5, K, R, RBI, SB)
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-1 (L-4, BB, R, SB)
1b. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-2 (3B, P-6, R, RBI)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-3 (1B, 2B, F-7, BB, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3a. Ian Happ, 2B: 1-1 (1B, BB, RBI, SB)
3b. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 1-2 (3B, 5-4 FC, R)
4a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (4-3, HBP)
4b. Yohan Matos, RF: 0-2 (E-9, F-8)
5a. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B: 0-2 (K, F-9 DP)
5b. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-1 (K)
6. Donnie Dewees, LF-CF: 1-1 (1B, BB, BB, R, SB, CS)
7a. Ian Rice, C: 0-1 (BB, P-5)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-0 (BB, R)
8. Daniel Spingola, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, F-8, E-4, R, RBI)
9a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
9b. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
10. Andrew Ely, DH #2: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Dylan Cease: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 37 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Junior Marte: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/AO, 42 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Jesus Camargo: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 24 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Trey Masek: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 46 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Justin Steele: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2/4 GO/AO, 52 pitches (36 strikes)
3. Kyle Twomey: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (4 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 3
1. RF Eddy Julio Martinez: E-9 (dropped catch allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Angelo Amendolare: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. C Tyler Payne: E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. P Jake Stinnett: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Andruw Monasterio: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. P. J. Higgins: 2-6 CS
2. Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Ian Rice: 1 PO
2. Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Arizona Phil 1 hour 28 min ago (view)
jdrnym: Zack Short is still on Optional Assignment to the minors (as are Alzolay, M. Amaya, R. Garcia, Maples, T. Miller, Norwood, Rea, M. Rodriguez, and Steele), but he can be recalled at any time without restriction (no "ten-day rule") because he was optioned to the minors prior to the transaction freeze in March.
crunch 5 hours 51 min ago (view)
the toles update is worse than his troubled past. toles has been diagnosed bipolar + schizophrenia and has been in/out of institutions over the past couple years. he can't seem to stick to any program long enough to get good treatment.
hope he turns whatever corner he needs to in order to get enough treatment to decide what kind of future he'd like to have.
Dolorous Jon Lester 8 hours 41 min ago (view)
Those two are definitely on more precarious ground once the roster is trimmed to 26, I would say.
jdrnym 8 hours 44 min ago (view)
Right, just went through the roster quick. Underwood, Sadler, same deal.
Dolorous Jon Lester 11 hours 39 sec ago (view)
Can't answer the Short thing. But I'd agree with your assessment of Mills if he weren't basically a lock to make the roster.
jdrnym 11 hours 8 min ago (view)
Is Zack Short's official designation still "on optional assignment" even though he's not on the Pool? If so, he can't just be recalled even though he's on the 40-man roster, right?
And someone like Alec Mills who's on the Pool and out of options... he's virtually locked onto the active roster because he can't get taken off (via an outright) and remain eligible to be re-added. Seems like the kind of player you'd prefer to leave off the initial Pool.
crunch 11 hours 32 min ago (view)
though he went to the hospital for treatment he was never admitted, so he's yet another person who got dragged hard by Covid, but who's case isn't showing up in the hospital admission, ICU bed, or death numbers most of us are looking at.
there's a whole slew of people who have had to shut down their lives for 2-4-6-etc weeks to get over this that are falling outside of the numbers we're tracking most closely.
Cubster 12 hours 1 min ago (view)
"In yet another reminder of how insidious this particular disease can be, Hottovy says he had acted quite cautiously in public before coming down with it. Fortunately, he was able to self-isolate and avoid transmitting it to his family."
crunch 13 hours 12 min ago (view)
it'll be interesting to see how things go down when people have to start playing games in AZ. they're damn close to being "early NYC level" screwed with a lack of planning and action.
with the early plan of playing games in AZ/FL, they could have been huge economic winners with 15+ teams playing all their games in AZ (and spring training 2.0). now it's looking like some teams may not even want to fly into AZ for a few dozen "away" games.
crunch 13 hours 28 min ago (view)
cubs pitching coach tommy hottovy was diagnosed with covid-19 earlier this spring, but he is currently assumed fully recovered.
he had a 100+ degree temperature for 6 days, lost 18 pounds, and it took 30 days for him to test negative.
he's 38 years old, btw.
Hagsag 20 hours 27 min ago (view)
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
at least the cubs got elston back for pretty much nothing. also, ha.
Rob Richardson 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
How many coachs, managers, and other "tier 1" individuals around the league are in higher risk groups?
Rob Richardson 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
Well said Crunch.
Hagsag 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
I have one question for AZ Phil, what the hell are you going to do with yourself until there is some type of Instructional League begins in the Fall?