Cubs Play Triple-Header Ball at Riverview Park
Dan Vogelbach drove-in five runs with a grand slam home run and a bases-loaded walk and Matt Murton doubled, walked twice, and scored two runs, leading the Iowa Cubs (the AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) to a 7-3 victory over the Nashville Sounds (Oakland Athletics AAA affiliate) on Field #6, Shawon Dunston Jr clubbed a two-run HR and Billy McKinney and Jacob Rogers singled and doubled, but it wasn't anywhere near enough as the Midland Rockhounds (A's AA affiliate) belted out 14 hits (including three triples, a double, and a home run) en route to a 9-4 victory over the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) on Field #5, and Gleyber Torres drilled a single and an RBI double, scored a run, and stole two bases, as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) cruised to an 8-4 victory over the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) in Minor League Camp game action this afternoon at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The three games were played simultaneously.
As usual, several players were moved up to higher levels just for the day.
John Arguello from Cubs Den was at the game, and (as usual) he has some great pics & commentary posted over there
Here are the abridged box scores (Cubs players only) from the games played on Field 5 & 6, and the box score from the game played on Field #4:
1. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-4 (P-6, 2B, P-6, K)
2a. Mark Zagunis, LF: 0-3 (3-U, F-8, F-9)
2b. Michael Foster; LF: 0-0 (BB)
3. Billy McKinney, RF: 2-4 (3-U, F-7, 2B, 1B, R)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-4 (E-6, K, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
5a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, P-6, R)
5b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (5-3)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 1-4 (HR, F-8, F-8, 3-U, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Chesny Young, 2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
7b, Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (1-3, BB)
8a. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
8b. David Bote, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
9a. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (1-3, P-3)
9b, Luis Ayala, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Jonathan Martinez: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 48 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
3. James Farris: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 25 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Gerardo Concepcion: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
5. Scott Effross: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (14 strikes)
6. Josh Conway: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 0/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
7. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 2
1. C Gioskar Amaya: E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
2. 3B Adonis Paula: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1-4 CS, 1 E (see above)
1. Mike O'Neill, CF: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, 3-U,5-3)
2a. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3)
2b. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-1 (1-3)
3a. Matt Murton, DH #1: 1-1 (BB, 2B, BB, 2 R, CS)
3b. David Freitas, C: 1-1 (1B)
4a. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-8, 2 R)
4b. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-1 (6-3)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (HR, BB, L-4, F-9, R, 5 RBI)
6. Ryan Kalish, DH #2: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7a. Bijan Rademacher, RF: 0-1 (BB, BB, 4-3, RBI)
7b. Roberto Caro, RF: 0-1 (3-1)
8. Anthony Giansanti, LF: 0-3 (BB, K, 4-3, P-3)
9. Ben Carhart, C-DH: 1-3 (4-3, 4-3, 2B)
10. Ryan Dent, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, 4-3, SB)
1. Eric Jokisch: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 34 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Armando Rivero: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Andury Acevedo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Scott Barnes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Miguel Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
6. Nick Greenwood: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
7. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
8. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (12 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, R)
1b. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-1 (K)
2a. Isaac Paredes, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, 6-3)
2b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-0 (F-9 SF, RBI)
3a. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 0-3 (6-3, 5-3, K, RBI)
3b. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-0 (BB)
4a. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-8)
4b. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
5a. Matt Rose, 3B: 0-3 (F-7, L-6, 5-3)
5b. Andruw Monasterio, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-8)
6b. Eric Gonzalez, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
7a. P. J. Higgins, C: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, PO)
7b. Tyler Payne, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
7c. Kwang-Min Kwon, PH: 1-1 (1B)
8a. Blake Headley, DH: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
8b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
9a. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-7)
9b. Angelo Amendolare, 2B: 0-2 (E-5, K, R, RBI, SB)
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-1 (L-4, BB, R, SB)
1b. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-2 (3B, P-6, R, RBI)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-3 (1B, 2B, F-7, BB, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3a. Ian Happ, 2B: 1-1 (1B, BB, RBI, SB)
3b. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 1-2 (3B, 5-4 FC, R)
4a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (4-3, HBP)
4b. Yohan Matos, RF: 0-2 (E-9, F-8)
5a. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B: 0-2 (K, F-9 DP)
5b. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-1 (K)
6. Donnie Dewees, LF-CF: 1-1 (1B, BB, BB, R, SB, CS)
7a. Ian Rice, C: 0-1 (BB, P-5)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-0 (BB, R)
8. Daniel Spingola, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, F-8, E-4, R, RBI)
9a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
9b. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
10. Andrew Ely, DH #2: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Dylan Cease: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 37 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Junior Marte: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/AO, 42 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Jesus Camargo: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 24 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Trey Masek: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 46 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Justin Steele: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2/4 GO/AO, 52 pitches (36 strikes)
3. Kyle Twomey: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (4 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 3
1. RF Eddy Julio Martinez: E-9 (dropped catch allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Angelo Amendolare: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. C Tyler Payne: E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. P Jake Stinnett: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Andruw Monasterio: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. P. J. Higgins: 2-6 CS
2. Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Ian Rice: 1 PO
2. Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Jackstraw 1 hour 46 min ago (view)
I'm trying to come up with scenarios where saying "The problem I have with you people....." really helps the conversation move forward constructively. None really jump to mind.
crunch 2 hours 4 min ago (view)
i still want proof that tom ricketts and ted cruz aren't the same person
Cubster 3 hours 59 min ago (view)
Tom's older brother is an ass, even with an embarrassing apology.
Here is the twitter video from Pastor Jarrod Parker:
Cubster 12 hours 8 min ago (view)
I agree. Laura is the real deal. I think she was the major influence that showed Tom R. and Crane Kenney how to show a "human side" and deal realistically and in a non-threatening way, with the local Chicago politicians. Kenney was clearly clueless in his initial attempts regarding the neighborhood, the Rooftop owners, and the Wrigley Field rebuild.
Hagsag 13 hours 4 min ago (view)
I am a Laura Ricketts fan. To hell with the rest of them.
crunch 21 hours 22 min ago (view)
some higher-end high school kids not expected to go very early in the draft are taking themselves out of the draft...including some top-100 ranked talent.
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Dale Murphy @DaleMurphy3
Last night, my son was shot in the eye with a rubber bullet while peacefully protesting for justice for George Floyd. His story is not unique. Countless others have also experienced this use of excessive police force while trying to have their voices heard.
Dale Murphy @DaleMurphy3
BobbyD 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
But he has vicious dogs ready to kill the nig***. Oh wait, thugs. He's a real man.
Cubster 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
"this idea isn't a proposal at all and may actually be a measure that is forced into action by the league if the two sides can't sort out the financial details for a longer season."
MLBPA: Over our dead bodies. Followed by Trump sending in the military to force ballplayers and fans to perform like puppets on strings with fans to yell (and cough and sneezing) at the umpires. Ah, baseball before Jackie Robinson. The Trump Republican Party: Bring back the Cheating/Pandemic 1919 White only - White Sox. Say it ain't so, Joe.
Hagsag 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
Trump waiving a bible in front of the church is a total disgrace.
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
...but now there's this...
"According to ESPN's Jeff Passan, Major League Baseball views a season of around 50 games as a "last resort" option should there be no agreement with the MLBPA.
crunch 2 days 1 hour ago (view)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan
Major League Baseball intends to propose a shorter season in which they would pay players a full prorated share of their salaries, sources told ESPN. The league believes the late March agreement allows it to set the schedule, and that this would fulfill players’ pro rata desire.
JustSayin' 2 days 1 hour ago (view)
Minor League Baseball makes the cover of SI! Two years ago, I would have been elated. Today, it's depressing (like the article.)
BobbyD 2 days 4 hours ago (view)
Crunch, thanks. I can be a jerk at times, but you bailed me out. Btw I'm the whitest white boy (who grew up next to Wrigley and also worked at my dad's warehouse next to Cabrini Green). I'm truly ashamed of this president. I don't believe anyone sane wants more of him. Go Cubs!! I miss Bobby Dernier's first home run against the Padres.
Cubster 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
MLBTR has an update on the latest owner's revision proposal.
Cubster 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
'we have a donald trump problem, but he may be a highly advanced and dangerous symptom rather than the actual disease.'
Surely true, dear Crunch. Trump has emboldened the ugly fact that America's cruel underbelly is still racism and police brutality that forwards that original sin.
America NEEDS its HEROES.