Cubs Play Triple-Header Ball at Riverview Park
Dan Vogelbach drove-in five runs with a grand slam home run and a bases-loaded walk and Matt Murton doubled, walked twice, and scored two runs, leading the Iowa Cubs (the AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) to a 7-3 victory over the Nashville Sounds (Oakland Athletics AAA affiliate) on Field #6, Shawon Dunston Jr clubbed a two-run HR and Billy McKinney and Jacob Rogers singled and doubled, but it wasn't anywhere near enough as the Midland Rockhounds (A's AA affiliate) belted out 14 hits (including three triples, a double, and a home run) en route to a 9-4 victory over the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) on Field #5, and Gleyber Torres drilled a single and an RBI double, scored a run, and stole two bases, as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) cruised to an 8-4 victory over the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) in Minor League Camp game action this afternoon at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The three games were played simultaneously.
As usual, several players were moved up to higher levels just for the day.
John Arguello from Cubs Den was at the game, and (as usual) he has some great pics & commentary posted over there
Here are the abridged box scores (Cubs players only) from the games played on Field 5 & 6, and the box score from the game played on Field #4:
1. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-4 (P-6, 2B, P-6, K)
2a. Mark Zagunis, LF: 0-3 (3-U, F-8, F-9)
2b. Michael Foster; LF: 0-0 (BB)
3. Billy McKinney, RF: 2-4 (3-U, F-7, 2B, 1B, R)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-4 (E-6, K, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
5a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, P-6, R)
5b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (5-3)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 1-4 (HR, F-8, F-8, 3-U, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Chesny Young, 2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
7b, Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (1-3, BB)
8a. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
8b. David Bote, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
9a. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (1-3, P-3)
9b, Luis Ayala, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Jonathan Martinez: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 48 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
3. James Farris: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 25 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Gerardo Concepcion: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
5. Scott Effross: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (14 strikes)
6. Josh Conway: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 0/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
7. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 2
1. C Gioskar Amaya: E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
2. 3B Adonis Paula: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1-4 CS, 1 E (see above)
1. Mike O'Neill, CF: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, 3-U,5-3)
2a. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3)
2b. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-1 (1-3)
3a. Matt Murton, DH #1: 1-1 (BB, 2B, BB, 2 R, CS)
3b. David Freitas, C: 1-1 (1B)
4a. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-8, 2 R)
4b. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-1 (6-3)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (HR, BB, L-4, F-9, R, 5 RBI)
6. Ryan Kalish, DH #2: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7a. Bijan Rademacher, RF: 0-1 (BB, BB, 4-3, RBI)
7b. Roberto Caro, RF: 0-1 (3-1)
8. Anthony Giansanti, LF: 0-3 (BB, K, 4-3, P-3)
9. Ben Carhart, C-DH: 1-3 (4-3, 4-3, 2B)
10. Ryan Dent, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, 4-3, SB)
1. Eric Jokisch: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 34 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Armando Rivero: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Andury Acevedo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Scott Barnes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Miguel Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
6. Nick Greenwood: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
7. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
8. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (12 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, R)
1b. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-1 (K)
2a. Isaac Paredes, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, 6-3)
2b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-0 (F-9 SF, RBI)
3a. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 0-3 (6-3, 5-3, K, RBI)
3b. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-0 (BB)
4a. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-8)
4b. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
5a. Matt Rose, 3B: 0-3 (F-7, L-6, 5-3)
5b. Andruw Monasterio, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-8)
6b. Eric Gonzalez, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
7a. P. J. Higgins, C: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, PO)
7b. Tyler Payne, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
7c. Kwang-Min Kwon, PH: 1-1 (1B)
8a. Blake Headley, DH: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
8b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
9a. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-7)
9b. Angelo Amendolare, 2B: 0-2 (E-5, K, R, RBI, SB)
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-1 (L-4, BB, R, SB)
1b. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-2 (3B, P-6, R, RBI)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-3 (1B, 2B, F-7, BB, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3a. Ian Happ, 2B: 1-1 (1B, BB, RBI, SB)
3b. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 1-2 (3B, 5-4 FC, R)
4a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (4-3, HBP)
4b. Yohan Matos, RF: 0-2 (E-9, F-8)
5a. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B: 0-2 (K, F-9 DP)
5b. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-1 (K)
6. Donnie Dewees, LF-CF: 1-1 (1B, BB, BB, R, SB, CS)
7a. Ian Rice, C: 0-1 (BB, P-5)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-0 (BB, R)
8. Daniel Spingola, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, F-8, E-4, R, RBI)
9a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
9b. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
10. Andrew Ely, DH #2: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Dylan Cease: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 37 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Junior Marte: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/AO, 42 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Jesus Camargo: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 24 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Trey Masek: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 46 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Justin Steele: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2/4 GO/AO, 52 pitches (36 strikes)
3. Kyle Twomey: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (4 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 3
1. RF Eddy Julio Martinez: E-9 (dropped catch allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Angelo Amendolare: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. C Tyler Payne: E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. P Jake Stinnett: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Andruw Monasterio: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. P. J. Higgins: 2-6 CS
2. Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Ian Rice: 1 PO
2. Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 7 hours 2 min ago (view)
"MLB will hold its first-ever pre-draft combine from June 20-28 in Cary, North Carolina.
The combine will take place at the USA Baseball National Training Complex, with top draft-eligible college and high school players invited. As part of the combine, the top-88 prep players will take part in a tournament through June 26th consisting of eight games."
crunch 8 hours 26 min ago (view)
cactus league officials are requesting MLB delay spring training because of elevated COVID cases + deaths.
their summer peak was 70-80 deaths a week and they're currently at 140-160 deaths a week.
things should be trending down now that most of people that wanted to kill relatives in order to have turkey dinners in NOV/DEC seems to have peaked.
Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
$$$$ for trump's defense fund.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
But they got $600 a few months back. Each! That was an unexpected windfall.
Can't wait to see us acquire a 17 year old, 16 year old, 11 year old (all in the 15-30 range of Blue Jays prospects) and one of the shitty Jays surplus OFs. Randal Grichuk jerseys will be the new hot item among Cubs fans.
crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
things are a little tight, we have to be patient with the ricketts family finances.
when TD Ameritrade was fully/completely sold in october they expected to get 26 billion dollars of value on the transaction, but it only got 22 billion dollars. the massive slew of millions that didn't fully come to realization on the ricketts side of that sale stings.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
Trade Hendricks? Cant be true. We're "going to be competitive this year."
Sell the team, Ricketts family.
crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
"Scott Mitchell of TSN reports that the Blue Jays have discussed a potential trade with the Cubs involving Kris Bryant and Kyle Hendricks.
Mitchell was responding to a question on Twitter asking whether there was any truth to the rumor that the Jays had talked with the Cubs about a deal for both players, and he answered in the affirmative."
this timeline sucks.
bradsbeard 2 days 10 hours ago (view)
International Scouting Director Louie Eljaua was just on The Score and he mentioned that COVID is causing issues with completing physicals and officially signing guys, but he said they have 24 guys unufficially signed right now.
KingKongvsGodzilla 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
These guys are a year apart in age and Miller's easily had the stronger career to date. While I'm not big on Miller, much prefer his more standard injury (TJ) than whatever it is that sapped Foltynewicz's velocity. Folty without velocity just isn't interesting and is likely a much bigger injury risk
Cubster 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
from an mlb.com article by Jordan Bastian...excerpt on Cubs free agent starting pitching options:
"Still, the Cubs need some more experienced Major League innings.
Given the way the offseason has played out for the North Siders, free-agent possibilities could include Chris Archer. Archer missed all of 2020 due to thoracic outlet syndrome, but he hopes to be ready to go by Spring Training. Free agents Mike Foltynewicz, Carlos Rodón, Rick Porcello and Trevor Williams are coming off forgettable '20 seasons but might benefit from the Cubs' analytics team.
Charlie 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
At this rate, they will need 11 starters in 2021 but like 6 of them will be more or less Alec Mills. The defense will get plenty of practice, at least.
crunch 3 days 9 hours ago (view)
i wouldn't be surprised to see jake arrieta come on board since no one else seems to want him and he'll probably have to take a 1yr deal...
crunch 3 days 9 hours ago (view)
cubs get their backup catcher...hopefully not their main catcher...
austin romine 1yr/1.5m
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 9 hours ago (view)
Look no further than Shelby Miller!
crunch 3 days 11 hours ago (view)
hank aaron has died. passed away in his sleep.
we've lost a lot of HOF'rs and other notables in the past many months.
Hagsag 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
The Cubs are now the "Little Sisters of the Poor".