Cubs Play Triple-Header Ball at Riverview Park
Dan Vogelbach drove-in five runs with a grand slam home run and a bases-loaded walk and Matt Murton doubled, walked twice, and scored two runs, leading the Iowa Cubs (the AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) to a 7-3 victory over the Nashville Sounds (Oakland Athletics AAA affiliate) on Field #6, Shawon Dunston Jr clubbed a two-run HR and Billy McKinney and Jacob Rogers singled and doubled, but it wasn't anywhere near enough as the Midland Rockhounds (A's AA affiliate) belted out 14 hits (including three triples, a double, and a home run) en route to a 9-4 victory over the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) on Field #5, and Gleyber Torres drilled a single and an RBI double, scored a run, and stole two bases, as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) cruised to an 8-4 victory over the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) in Minor League Camp game action this afternoon at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The three games were played simultaneously.
As usual, several players were moved up to higher levels just for the day.
John Arguello from Cubs Den was at the game, and (as usual) he has some great pics & commentary posted over there
Here are the abridged box scores (Cubs players only) from the games played on Field 5 & 6, and the box score from the game played on Field #4:
1. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-4 (P-6, 2B, P-6, K)
2a. Mark Zagunis, LF: 0-3 (3-U, F-8, F-9)
2b. Michael Foster; LF: 0-0 (BB)
3. Billy McKinney, RF: 2-4 (3-U, F-7, 2B, 1B, R)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-4 (E-6, K, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
5a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, P-6, R)
5b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (5-3)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 1-4 (HR, F-8, F-8, 3-U, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Chesny Young, 2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
7b, Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (1-3, BB)
8a. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
8b. David Bote, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
9a. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (1-3, P-3)
9b, Luis Ayala, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Jonathan Martinez: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 48 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
3. James Farris: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 25 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Gerardo Concepcion: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
5. Scott Effross: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (14 strikes)
6. Josh Conway: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 0/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
7. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 2
1. C Gioskar Amaya: E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
2. 3B Adonis Paula: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1-4 CS, 1 E (see above)
1. Mike O'Neill, CF: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, 3-U,5-3)
2a. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3)
2b. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-1 (1-3)
3a. Matt Murton, DH #1: 1-1 (BB, 2B, BB, 2 R, CS)
3b. David Freitas, C: 1-1 (1B)
4a. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-8, 2 R)
4b. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-1 (6-3)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (HR, BB, L-4, F-9, R, 5 RBI)
6. Ryan Kalish, DH #2: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7a. Bijan Rademacher, RF: 0-1 (BB, BB, 4-3, RBI)
7b. Roberto Caro, RF: 0-1 (3-1)
8. Anthony Giansanti, LF: 0-3 (BB, K, 4-3, P-3)
9. Ben Carhart, C-DH: 1-3 (4-3, 4-3, 2B)
10. Ryan Dent, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, 4-3, SB)
1. Eric Jokisch: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 34 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Armando Rivero: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Andury Acevedo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Scott Barnes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Miguel Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
6. Nick Greenwood: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
7. Starling Peralta: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
8. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (12 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, R)
1b. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-1 (K)
2a. Isaac Paredes, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, 6-3)
2b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-0 (F-9 SF, RBI)
3a. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 0-3 (6-3, 5-3, K, RBI)
3b. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-0 (BB)
4a. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-8)
4b. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
5a. Matt Rose, 3B: 0-3 (F-7, L-6, 5-3)
5b. Andruw Monasterio, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-8)
6b. Eric Gonzalez, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
7a. P. J. Higgins, C: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, PO)
7b. Tyler Payne, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
7c. Kwang-Min Kwon, PH: 1-1 (1B)
8a. Blake Headley, DH: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
8b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
9a. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-7)
9b. Angelo Amendolare, 2B: 0-2 (E-5, K, R, RBI, SB)
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-1 (L-4, BB, R, SB)
1b. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-2 (3B, P-6, R, RBI)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-3 (1B, 2B, F-7, BB, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3a. Ian Happ, 2B: 1-1 (1B, BB, RBI, SB)
3b. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 1-2 (3B, 5-4 FC, R)
4a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (4-3, HBP)
4b. Yohan Matos, RF: 0-2 (E-9, F-8)
5a. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B: 0-2 (K, F-9 DP)
5b. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-1 (K)
6. Donnie Dewees, LF-CF: 1-1 (1B, BB, BB, R, SB, CS)
7a. Ian Rice, C: 0-1 (BB, P-5)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-0 (BB, R)
8. Daniel Spingola, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, F-8, E-4, R, RBI)
9a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
9b. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
10. Andrew Ely, DH #2: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Dylan Cease: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 37 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Junior Marte: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/AO, 42 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Jesus Camargo: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 24 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Trey Masek: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 46 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Justin Steele: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2/4 GO/AO, 52 pitches (36 strikes)
3. Kyle Twomey: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (4 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 3
1. RF Eddy Julio Martinez: E-9 (dropped catch allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Angelo Amendolare: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. C Tyler Payne: E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. P Jake Stinnett: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Andruw Monasterio: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. P. J. Higgins: 2-6 CS
2. Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Ian Rice: 1 PO
2. Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
JustSayin' 2 hours 22 min ago (view)
These players weren't cut/released; laid off is more like it. Fifty-two minor leaguers let go before any real games played, in two waves. The draft will be five rounds this year, not forty. This is industrial downsizing, anticipating no traditional season this year and capitulation to MLB demands for a much smaller minor league system in 2021. Next year or 2022 could also see a labor stoppage in the big leagues, over what promises to be a very tough CBA negotiation. The game will not be what it used to be after this.
crunch 6 hours 10 min ago (view)
i don't blame the ownership/font office for doing what they did with bryant. it was just kinda bad timing that bryant was the client that boras was finally "i'm sick of this" over. the cubs were warned that boras was going to make a stand and it dragged on so long there has to be some kind of toll on the boras/cubs relationship.
bigsky33 6 hours 17 min ago (view)
Hi Phil, yes, hoping for an extended AZ Fall League. Do you think there will be more cuts? De La Cruz was the only big sureprise to me. I thought he had some upside.
Dolorous Jon Lester 8 hours 10 min ago (view)
It'll be more over when Kris leaves. Or whenever the same thing happens to another of his clients.
He isn't wrong though...
Arizona Phil 8 hours 22 min ago (view)
Presuming there is no traditional minor league season in 2020, expect an expanded Arizona Fall League (with potentially a new "Florida Fall League" as well) for the best prospects and expanded post-season instructs for other minor leaguers (all TBA).
Arizona Phil 8 hours 33 min ago (view)
My understanding is that the other two Cubs minor leaguers who are to be released are the two post-2019 Article XX-B MLB free-agents who signed 2020 minor league contracts, Brandon Morrow and Jason Kipnis. The Cubs will then supposedly re-sign them to new minor league contracts without the $100K retention bonus and 6/1 opt-out.
Arizona Phil 8 hours 37 min ago (view)
CRUNCH: Agreed. Not counting the "4-A" guys, Oscar de la Cruz is the one legit MLB prospect on the list.
crunch 8 hours 42 min ago (view)
aww...de la cruz had some decent looking spring outings (though late inning spring work isn't exactly challenging). the years of injuries insanely slowed his progression. totally wouldn't mind seeing him return in 2021 if the team would still be on his radar after getting cut at a time like this.
crunch 10 hours 3 min ago (view)
that whole "kris bryant thing" is over...but it's never going to be over as long as this ownership group and boras is around.
boras could have focused this on 29 other teams, especially the more vocal ones because the cubs have been mostly silent. the cubs aren't the only team out there paying off "creatively financed" loans, either.
he chose the cubs.
Dolorous Jon Lester 15 hours 28 min ago (view)
Not looking forward to seeing that list. Hate to see it when a guy you've invested any sort of energy in is given up on.
Cubster 15 hours 40 min ago (view)
Chi Tribune today. Boras picks, and focused on the Ricketts.
Headline writer, fun job: Agent won’t let Cubs get away Scott-free Matt York/AP and Paul Sullivan.
Boras told his players “the game can not be played without you” and asked them to share the concept with teammates and opposing players when “MLB requests further concessions or deferral of salaries” during negotiations.
Cubster 15 hours 42 min ago (view)
The billionaires vs the millionaires. The beauty of the game is not the business of the game.
Cubster 16 hours 23 min ago (view)
Bat-signal seen in the Mesa skyline...AZ Phil, time to don the mask and cape.
Cubster 16 hours 25 min ago (view)
per mlbtr, supposedly the Cubs have released 30 minor leaguers although Stewart and Asuaje are the only two names so far.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
cubs release brock stewart (AAA Rule 5 pick) and carlos asuaje (middle IF'r)...both older AAA/MLB-replacement-part types.
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
after dragging their feet, the cubs commit to paying their minor leaguers through june.
i'm a bit dissapointed they're not going to pay the last 2 months. yeah, they're not the worst owners (in fact, the "through june" thing is common), but they can do better for their baseball household.