Eloy No Joy for Bees at Riverview Park
Trevor Clifton and Adbert Alzolay combined to hurl six innings of two-hit shutout baseball and three relievers followed with three more innings of no-hit ball, as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) two-hit the Inland Empire 66ers (Los Angeles Angels Hi-A affiliate) 4-2 on Field #5, and Eloy Jimenez slugged a two-run home run to cap a three-run 1st and Ricardo Marcano belted a two-run HR in the 7th (the Jimenez bomb carrying 420+ feet over the CF fence just to left of the Batter's Eye), leading the South Bend Cubs (the Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) to a 7-3 victory over the Burlington Bees (Angels Lo-A affiliate) on Field #6, in a Cactus League Minor League Camp doubleheader played Thursday afternoon at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Yasiel Balaguert collected two doubles and an RBI for Myrtle Beach, and Kevonte Mitchell singled twice, walked, scored two runs, and stole a base (home, on the back-end of a double-steal) for South Bend.
RHRP Alexander Santana had an unusual outing for Myrtle Beach, working the 9th inning of the game on Field #5. Santana entered the game with a 4-0 lead, and proceeded to hit three batters and throw two wild pitches, and of the 16 pitches he threw in the inning, only two were strikes. But he never-the-less somehow managed to record three outs, because the two strikes both turned into 5-3 ground outs, and the third out was a game-ending caught-stealng at 3rd base on a ball-three pitch with the potential tying run at the plate.
OF Alex Bautista, 1B-OF Chris Pieters, and INF Edgar Rondon were moved-up from the South Bend group to the Myrtle Beach squad for the game, and all three entered the game as late-inning replacements for the Pelicans.
Myrtle Beach 2B Ian Happ and SS Gleyber Torres (who are two of the Cubs Top 5 prospects) were absent from Minor League Camp on Thursday, as they traveled with the big league club to Salt River Fields for a morning Cactus League "B" game versus the Colorado Rockies.
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart
Minor League Camp Rosters (updated daily)
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 2-3 (1B, 3-U, 1B, RBI)
1b. Alex Bautista, CF: 0-1 (K)
2a. Andrew Ely, SS: 1-3 (6-4-3 DP, 1B, P-2, RBI)
2b. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-1 (6-3)
3. Donnie Dewees, DH-LF: 2-4 (1B, K, E-8, 1B+E3, R)
4. Jeffrey Baez, DH-RF: 1-4 (E-9, F-9, 1B, 6-3, R, SB)
5a. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B: 2-2 (2B, 2B, RBI)
5b. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-1 (BB, P-4)
6. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 3-U, 1-2-3 DP, K)
7. Charcer Burks, LF-DH: 0-3 (5-4 FC, 5-3, K, BB, CS)
8. Daniel Spingola, RF-DH: 0-3 (3-U, 4-3,. K)
9. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (6-3, 3B, K, R)
10a. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-0 (BB, BB, R, SB, PO)
10b. Jordan Hankins, C: 0-1 (4-3)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 1/4 GO/AO, 46 pitches (33 strikes)
2. Adbert Alzolay: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/3 GO/AO, 28 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Ryan McNeil: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Alexander Santana: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 3 HBP, 2 WP, 2/0 GO/AO, 16 pitches (2 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
C Tyler Alamo: E-2 (overthrow at 1st base after fielding "swinging bunt" allowed batter to reach base safely)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Alamo: 1 E (see above)
2. Jordan Hankins: 1-1 CS
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB, 2 R, SB)
1b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 1-2 (1B, P-6, RBI)
2. Ho-Young Son, SS: 1-4 (K, BB, 1B, F-8, K, SB)
3. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 1-4 (1B, K, L-3 DP, 3-1, R, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 1-4 (HR, 5-4-3 DP, 4-3, L-7, R, 2 RBI)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-3 (BB, L-5, L-8, 1B, R)
6. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 2-4 (K, L-4, 1B, HR, R, 2 RBI, CS)
7. Vimael Machin, 2B: 1-3 (BB, 1B, 6-3, 4-3)
8a. Eric Gonzalez, C: 0-1 (BB, 6-3)
8b. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (4-3, 1B, 2 SB)
9a. Blake Headley, 1B: 1-3 (3-1, F-8, 3B, R)
9b. Gustavo Polanco, PH-1B 0-1 (F-9)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 5/1 GO/AO, 29 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Kyle Miller: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (10 strikes)
3. Jose Paulino: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 19 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Greyfer Eregua: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Tyler Peitzmeier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
6. Santiago Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
7. Yapson Gomez: 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (13 strikes)
8. Pedro Silverio: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 2/1 GO/AO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 1
2B Vimael Machin: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eric Gonzalez: 1-2 CS
SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 1
RF Kwang-Min Kwon - runner thrown out 9-4-2 trying to score from 1st base on a double off the RF fence
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 15 hours 16 min ago (view)
Alexander Dimm 15 hours 42 min ago (view)
I'm in. What more do we need, really. A beer. A game or two. The 162 game season can wait until next year (I hope). Have fun with a micro-mini season. Let the powers fight over the labor agreements. They can finish by next spring, right?
crunch 15 hours 53 min ago (view)
2020 quickly shaping up to be the best season ever.
Cubster 17 hours 13 min ago (view)
And a few kegs of beer. Hamberders too.
crunch 19 hours 26 min ago (view)
they should just play a quick weekend tourney where no one actually wins and everyone gets a small participation trophy.
declare the fans the MVPs and dedicate the series to everyone who has died in the history of humanity.
...then a free live-streamed Nickleback concert hosted by 2Pac's hologram
Charlie 2 days 52 min ago (view)
Lol at worrying about a second wave disrupting revenue.
Cubster 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
IN BRIEF (Tribune, from their mini-sports section): In a letter, MLB rejects players’ plan for 114 gamesNews services Major League Baseball rejected the players’ proposal for a 114-game schedule in the pandemic-delayed season with no additional salary cuts, telling the union that teams have no reason to think 82 games is possible and now will discuss even fewer.Players made their proposal Sunday, five days after management’s initial economic plan.
Cubster 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
Pete Ricketts causing some backspin on their serve...Chi Tribune, Thursday AM:
Arizona Phil 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
Here are the last two Cubs minor league releases from this week (for a final total of 30):
Conor Lillis-White, LHP (acquired frrom LAA for Tommy LaStella post-2018 - missed 2019 season with hip flexor injury)
Alberto Mineo, C-1B (has been quarantined in Italy since he re-signed with Cubs in February)
Lillis-White was eligible for selection in the 2020 Rule 5 Draft, and Mineo was eligible to be a minor league 6YFA post-2020
Charlie 2 days 13 hours ago (view)
Great read from players I came of age watching. Really shows how badly MLB needs to empower their players to speak in real time and not just after retiring.
crunch 2 days 14 hours ago (view)
"A conversation: Retired African American MLB players on race, baseball, America"
d.glanville, j.rollins, r.howard, d.willis, t.hunter, l.hawkins
Jackstraw 2 days 16 hours ago (view)
I'm trying to come up with scenarios where saying "The problem I have with you people....." really helps the conversation move forward constructively. None really jump to mind.
crunch 2 days 17 hours ago (view)
i still want proof that tom ricketts and ted cruz aren't the same person
Cubster 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
Tom's older brother is an ass, even with an embarrassing apology.
Here is the twitter video from Pastor Jarrod Parker:
Cubster 3 days 3 hours ago (view)
I agree. Laura is the real deal. I think she was the major influence that showed Tom R. and Crane Kenney how to show a "human side" and deal realistically and in a non-threatening way, with the local Chicago politicians. Kenney was clearly clueless in his initial attempts regarding the neighborhood, the Rooftop owners, and the Wrigley Field rebuild.
Hagsag 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
I am a Laura Ricketts fan. To hell with the rest of them.