Old Man Olivo Just Keeps Rollin' River Cats Past I-Cubs in Scottsdale
Jake Hannemann ripped an RBI double, walked, scored a run, and stole a base, as the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) edged the Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants AA affiliate) 5-4 on Field #1, and Ali Castillo drilled a two-run double to cap a three-run second inning and 37-year old veteran catcher Miguel Olivo belted a two-run double to highlight a three-run 6th, as the Sacramento River Cats (Giants AAA affiliate) defeated the Iowa Cubs (the AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) 6-2 on Field #2, in Cactus League Minor League Camp game action Friday afternoon at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were called after eight innings of play.
Richmond DH Tyler Horan slugged a solo home run in a losing cause on Field #1, and Cael Brockmeyer hammered a solo home run for the I-Cubs in a losing cause on Field #2.
Iowa Cubs LHRP Scott Barnes continued a strong Minor League Camp with a 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts (both swinging) on Field #2, while RHRP Michael Jensen and Steve Perakslis were hit hard, with Jensen also struggling to find the strike zone (throwing only 44% strikes).
Seven position players were temporarily moved up from the South Bend group to augment the Iowa and Tennessee rosters for the game, with 3B Adonis Paula, OF Donnie Cimino, OF Michael Foster, and 2B Edgar Rondon (who is now switch-hitting -- he had two hits in the game) assigned to the I-Cubs squad, and LF Ricardo Marcano, SS Andruw Monasterio, and C Kevin Zamudio assigned to the Smokies squad, and RHRP James Norwood was moved up to the Tennessee squad from the Myrtle Beach group (and Norwood recorded the save for the Smokies, although he did labor through his one inning of work).
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart
Minor League Camp Rosters (updated daily)
Also, John Arguello (Cubs Den) has a report from the two Cactus League Minor League games played at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa on Friday.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games played at Indian School Park (Cubs players only):
1. Chesny Young, DH-2B: 1-4 (F-9, 6-3, L-6, 1B, RBI)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B-DH: 1-4 (K, 6-3, 1B, P-6 DP)
3a. Billy McKinney, LF: 0-1 (K, BB)
3b. Ricardo Marcano, PH-LF: 0-1 (F-7 DP, BB)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (2B, K, F-7, F-8, R)
5. Mark Zagunis, RF: 0-3 (6-3, K, K)
6. Jake Hannemann, CF: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, R, RBI, SB)
7. Victor Caratini, C-DH: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, K, R, RBI)
8. David Bote, 3B-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, P-4, R, SB)
9. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, F-8, RBI, CS)
10a. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
10b. Kevin Zamudio, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
10c. Jason Vosler, 3B: 1-1 (2B, R)
11a. Erick Castillo, DH-C: 0-1 (HBP, L-9)
11b. Tyler Pearson, PH-C: 1-1 (1B)
1. Paul Blackburn: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 45 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Gerardo Concepcion: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 32 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 4/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (14 strikes)
4. James Farris: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
5. James Norwood: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/AO, 24 pirches (14 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 2
1. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (missed catch allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
2. 2B Danny Lockhart: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Victor Caratini: 0-1 CS
2. Erick Castillo; 0-2 CS
1a. Mike O'Neill, DH #1: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, K, CS)
1b. Donnie Cimino, PH: 0-1 (F-9)
2a. Logan Watkins, 2B-DH: 0-2 (3-1, BB, K, RBI)
2b. Bijan Rademacher, LF: 0-1 (K)
3. Ryan Kalish, CF: 1-4 (F-7, P-5, 1B, K)
4a. Matt Clark, 1B-DH: 1-3 (2B, P-5, K)
4b. Michael Foster, PH: 0-1 (K)
5. Cael Brockmeyer, C-1B: 1-4 (6-3, HR, 6-3 DP, K, R, RBI)
6a. Anthony Giansanti, LF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
6b. David Freitas, C: 0-2 (P-3, L-8)
7. Kelly Dugan, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8 DP, F-8)
8a. Will Remillard, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
8b. Edgar Rondon, PH-2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-2 (E-6, 4-3, BB, R)
10. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, F-8)
1. Jose Rosario: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 2/0 GO/AO, 18 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Michael Jensen: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 34 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 2/3 GO/AO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Steve Perakslis: 0.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Miguel Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
6. Andury Acevedo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
7. Scott Barnes: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Cael Brockmeyer: 0-4 CS
IOWA OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Ryan Kalish - batter thrown out 9-6-5 trying to stretch double into triple
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
tim815 44 min 23 sec ago (view)
On what days of the calendar do players get to decide if they're going to opt out of their contracts?
Australian football games are being played before empty stadiums. I doubt that's a conducive environment to opting out.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 hours 52 min ago (view)
SheffieldCornelia 4 hours 58 min ago (view)
Hey all, just checking in to say that yesterday was a really sad but appreciative day in my household. It is still completely mystifying that the Cubs couldn't find a way to extend Rizzo and Javy especially, and there's still some hope here that one or both guys can come back next year along with a Contreras extension. While they were here, Rizzo, Javy and KB especially gave us so much as players and made the last half decade really special for Cubs fans. Thanks guys.
(Also, please let some of these prospects become the next Hendricks or Arrieta and not the next Mike Olt.)
Hagsag 5 hours 42 min ago (view)
Pay Willy now please!
crunch 8 hours 33 min ago (view)
mlb.com has already updated their "top 30" team prospect rankings post-trade deadline. https://www.mlb.com/prospects/cubs/
pete crow-armstrong #6 (mets)
alexander canario #7 (giants)
alexander vizcaino #8 (yanks)
kevin alcantara #11 (yanks)
caleb kilian #16 (giants)
greg deichmann #20 (A's)
i like caleb kilian more than the mlb.com ranking of #16. if he manages to finish the season strong he should have no problem working his way into the top-10.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 39 min ago (view)
Anderson Espinoza will get a 4th minor league option in 2023 and Alexander Canario will get a 4th minor league option in 2024 (if needed).
Dolorous Jon Lester 13 hours 59 min ago (view)
He looked really good. Rucker didn't look bad either
crunch 14 hours 11 min ago (view)
m.rodriguez throws 1ip 0h 0bb 2k, 11 pitches
hell of a debut.
crunch 15 hours 23 sec ago (view)
already hit his 1st yankee homer, btw.
crunch 15 hours 2 min ago (view)
hey yo. hopefully the offseason and going into 2022 will be worth whatever the hell this is that happened today.
Jace 15 hours 13 min ago (view)
QuietMan 15 hours 53 min ago (view)
Maybe after he's done pitching for Team USA at The Olympics.
Sonicwind75 16 hours 4 min ago (view)
Maybe Cubs can counter by bringing Edwin Jackson back.
crunch 16 hours 21 min ago (view)
dbacks see the cubs making a serious tanking move and they have 5 players go on the COVID list.
hell of a counter-play dbacks...good job.
crunch 16 hours 46 min ago (view)
your new 2021 chicago cubs...day 1
ortega / contreras / happ / wisdom / bote / heyward / duffy / alcantara / arrieta
crunch 16 hours 49 min ago (view)
woo! go not-cubs!
break out a list of 17 year old highschool kids and college sophmores to mull over for the next 10 months!