Cubs Grab the Bulls by the Horns in Four-Run 9th
Gustavo Polanco drilled a one-out game-tying two-run double off the LF fence (near HR) and Roberto Caro followed one out later with a two-out walk-off line-drive game-winning RBI single, as the Cubs Eugene/Mesa squad (Extended Spring Training group) rallied for four runs in the bottom of the 9th to edge los Toros de Tijuana (Mexican League) 10-9 in Minor League Camp game action Thursday morning on Field #3 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Adonis Paula belted a two-run double and a single and scored two runs, Yohan Matos ripped a two-run double and an RBI single, and Kwang-Min Kwon tripled and singled and scored a run to aid the Cub cause, and Isaac Rodriguez slugged a two-run HR and singled, Dustin Martin hammered a two-run triple and walked twice, and Edson Garcia rifled a two-run triple for los Toros in a losing cause.
Los Toros are one of three Mexican League teams taking Spring Training at the Kino Sports Complex (formerly known as "Tucson Electric Park" when the White Sox and Diamondbacks based their Spring Training there) in Tucson. (Pericos de Puebla and Rojos del Aguila de Veracruz are the other two Mexican League clubs sharing the facility with los Toros), and in addition to playing games against each other in Tucson, the three Mexican League clubs have also been playing games against MLB minor league affiliates in the Phoenix area during the month of March. (Mexican League Opening Day is April 1st).
The Cubs have signed nine players out of Mexico over the last 18 months, and six just in the 2015-16 IFA alone (the same number they have signed so far out of Venezuela in the 2015-16 IFA). So the Cubs--and more specifically Mexico Area Scout Sergio Hernandez--have really been going hard after Mexican talent lately.
Three of the players signed by the Cubs out of Mexico over the past couple of years (RHSP Jesus Camargo, shortstop Isaac Paredes, and catcher Kevin Zamudio) played in the game against Tijuana, and you could see that the trio were stoked to compete against los Toros.
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart
Minor League Camp Rosters (updated daily)
Here is the box score from the game:
TOROS DE TIJUANA LINEUP:
1a. Eduardo Arredondo, CF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 3-U, R, CS)
1b. Edson Garcia, PH-CF: 1-2 (3B, F-9, 2 RBI)
2a. Olmo Rosario, LF: 1-3 (F-9, F-9, 1B)
2b. Enrique Trujillo, PH-LF: (0-2 (5-3-2 DP, 6-4-3 DP)
3a. Oscar Robles, DH: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K, 2 R)
3b. Emmanuel Valdez, PH-DH: 1-2 (2B, F-9, R)
4a. Dustin Martin, RF: 1-1 (3B, BB, BB, R, 2 RBI)
4b. Roman Pena Zonta, RF: 0-1 (K)
5a. Juan Apodaca, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-4 FC, 5-4-3 DP, RBI)
5b. Omar Renteria, C: 1-1 (2B, RBI)
6a. Luis Suarez, 1B: 1-2 (F-9, F-8 SF, 3B, R, RBI)
6b. Roberto Lopez, 1B: 0-1 (P-3 DP)
7a. Miguel Torrero, 3B: 0-0 (HBP)
7b. Isaac Rodriguez, 3B: 2-3 (F-7, HR, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Omar Quintanilla, 2B: 1-4 (L-8, F-8, 1B, K, R)
9. Jose Guadalupe Chavez, SS: 0-3 (5-3, L-9, BB, 1-6-3 DP, R)
10. Jose Gil, DH #2: 0-2 (P-3, E-5)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
EXST CUBS lINEUP:
1a. Luis Ayala, CF: 1-2 (K, BB, 2B)
1b. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B, RBI)
2. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 1-3, R, RBI, PO)
3. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-4 (F-9, K, 3-U, 5-3)
4a. Wladimir Galindo, 3B-DH: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3)
4b. Miguel Amaya, PH-DH: 1-1 (BB, 1B, 2 R)
5a. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF-DH: 2-2 (3B, 1B, R)
5b. Jhonny Pereda, PH-DH: 1-2 (F-9, 2B, R, RBI)
6a. Adonis Paula, DH-3B: 2-3 (1-2 FC, 1B, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
6b. Eric Gonzalez, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
7a. Yohan Matos, LF: 2-3 (6-4 FC, 2B, 1B, 3 RBI)
7b. Michael Foster, LF: 0-0 (BB, R)
8. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-3 (L-8, 5-3, P-6, BB, R)
9a. Kevin Zamudio, C: 1-2 (1B, K, R)
9b. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-2 (4-3, 2B, 2 RBI)
10. Ricardo Marcano, DH-RF: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-8, P-6)
TOROS DE TIJUANA PITCHERS:
1. Nathan Reed: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 PO, 4/2 GO/AO, 61 pitches (40 strikes)
2. Miguel Pena: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 31 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Ricardo Jacquez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 10 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Jesus Garcia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
5. Mario Mendoza Jr: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (20 strikes)
EXST CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Camargo: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 0/3 GO/AO, 27 pitches (15 strikes)
2. John Michael Knighton: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 39 pitches (24 strikes)
3. Enrique de los Rios: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Erling Moreno: 0.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Manny Rondon: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (10 strikes)
6. Pedro Silverio: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
7. Yapson Gomez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 5 pitches (3 strikes)
TOROS DE TIJUANA ERRORS: NONE
EXST CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Adonis Paula - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
EXST CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Kevin Zamudio: 1-1 CS
TOROS DE TIJUANA OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
1. LF Olmo Rosario - batter (Yohan Matos) thrown out 7-2-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
2. CF Eduardo Arredondo - runner (Ricardo Marcano) thrown out 8-6-2 attempting to score from 1st on double
3. RF Roman Pena Zonta - batter (Yohan Matos) thrown out 9-4 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
videographer 4 hours 21 min ago (view)
Darth Vader to rescue Carlos Correa's bruised ego.
crunch 5 hours 40 min ago (view)
carlos correa has hired scott boras...
bradsbeard 1 day 6 min ago (view)
The IFA market isn't exactly an equal access thing. Not only do the Cubs have a slightly smaller bonus pool than some teams, players are often linked to teams through their trainers well before they are able to sign. It's not like when these kids are 14 that the teams know for sure that they have a top of the class player on their hands two years in the future.
Wrigley Rat 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Cubbies.4ever - I read that the Cubs strategy with international free agents has been to spend most of their bonus money on young, position players and then take chances on cheaper, older pitching prospects who have been late bloomers (taller, stronger, more command of pitches, etc.). They are also grabbing guys at the end of the international signing period and signing them to future service contracts. They have six pitchers that were signed last year to future service contracts, and only one position player.
cubbies.4ever 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Cubs IFA Signings are heavy on SS (given SS usually can play many positions as the develop), but only 1 pitcher. Given it's still early. Also disappointing that their best signing is #18. Gone are the days of Soler, Eloy, Torres, Marquez, Amaya etc. I believe Christian Hernandez last year was highly rated though.
Wrigley Rat 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
One more international free agent signing announced today: Daniel Benschop, OF, Aruba
bradsbeard 2 days 17 min ago (view)
I hope all is well with AZ Phil. Hasn't posted in a few weeks and typically would expect him to have a post up tracking IFA signings. Maybe he's waiting for something official from the Cubs (who don't seem to have announced any of the signings officially)?
Cubster 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
Les Grobstein dies at age 69. Encyclopedic Chicago historian and longtime sports talk overnight radio host, plus a controversial listen. https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/01/17/les-grobstein-1952-2022/
Cubster 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
Hernandez ranks 18th on MLB's International prospect list. Sanchez ranks at #43.
Tribune article today on the Cub https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-alexis-hernan...
CubsCentral08 3 days 22 hours ago (view)
List is up to 12 now
Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama
Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic
Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic
Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Freylin Silverio, RHP, Dominican Republic
Sandy Sanchez, SS, Dominican Republic
Darlin de Leon, SS, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 3 days 23 hours ago (view)
In addition to those signed today, it's worth noting that seven players were signed to future-service contracts during the last international free agent signing period, and are expected to make their system-debut this coming season (most likely in the Dominican Republic). Those players are:
- RHP - Luis Angel Reyes
- LHP - Kevin Valdez
- RHP - Jensi Ramirez
- RHP - Yafrerlyn Vasquez
- RHP - Eligio Paredes
- RHP - Jair Jimenez
- OF - Edward Vargas
Wrigley Rat 3 days 23 hours ago (view)
The Cubs added four more International Free Agents so far today:
- Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
- Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
- Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
- Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 3 days 23 hours ago (view)
Sneak peak into the International Free Agent Signings that officially start tomorrow (Saturday):
Chicago Cubs ($5,179,700 total bonus pool) - 5 Signings (so far):
- Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama ($1,500,000 bonus)
- Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,300,000 bonus)
- Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,000,000 bonus)
- Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
- Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
crunch 4 days 10 hours ago (view)
wsox snagging cuban oscar colas...23 year old high end power prospect that could slot into the majors quickly.
they're building a hell of a batting core on the south side of town.
Cubster 1 week 7 hours ago (view)
Jon Lester retires. Definitely one of the key people in their Theo era run.
crunch 1 week 20 hours ago (view)
meeting on thursday. hopefully this stuff can get done before going too deep into february.