Eloy, Happ, Freitas, and Carhart Go Yard at Minor League Camp
Eloy Jimenez belted a two-run 1st inning home run, P. J. Higgins collected four hits (three singles and a triple), scored a run, and drove-in another, and SP Preston Morrison tossed five innings of shutout ball, leading the South Bend Cubs to a 3-1 victory over the Myrtle Beach Pelicans on Field #4, and David Freitas clubbed a two-run 1st inning HR (his second round-tripper in two days) and Billy McKinney drilled a tie-breaking RBI single in the 6th, as the Tennessee Smokies edged the Iowa Cubs 3-2 on Field #6, in Minor League Camp game action Friday morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Ian Happ smacked a solo HR for Myrtle Beach in a losing cause on Field #4, and Ben Carhart hammered a solo home run in a losing cause for Iowa on Field #6. (Carhart was temporarily moved-up to the Iowa squad from Tennessee because the three catchers assigned to Iowa are in Las Vegas with the parent club).
The game on Field #6 was called after seven innings of play.
There were a number of roster moves made at Minor League Camp prior to the two games, with the Opening Day rosters of the four full-season clubs (particularly regarding position players and starting pitchers) becoming a bit more clear. There are still a few more moves/cuts to be made, however, especially involving the AAA Iowa and Hi-A Myrtle Beach bullpens and the Iowa outfield, and it's always possible that some of the assignments could be changed at the last minute due to injuries or other factors.
Cubs Minor League Camp Rosters
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart (both updated daily)
Also, 18 players who are assigned to the Cubs Dominican Acdemy but who were not invited to Minor League Camp will be attending Extended Spring Training and will be arriving over the next several days. The first three (LHP Pablo Ochoa, LHP Eugenio Palma, and RHP Andri Rondon) arrived today. Ochoa and A. Rondon attended Instructs in Mesa last Fall, but Palma is making his U. S. debut.
Here are the box scores from the two games:
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, DH: 0-3 (1-3, F-8, HBP, 4-3)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (K, 5-3, K, 1B)
3. Ian Happ, 2B: 2-4 (4-3, 6-3, HR, 1B, R, RBI)
4. Jason Vosler, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, F-8, L-7 DP)
5. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-4 (6-4 FC, F-8, K, K, CS)
6. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 0-4 (K, 5-3, K, F-9)
7a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-2 (2B, L-8, BB)
7b. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-0 (BB)
8. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-4 (6-3, F-9, 4-6-3 DP, F-9)
9. Charcer Burks, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-9)
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Donnie Dewees, CF: 1-4 (3-1, F-8, K, 1B, R)
2. P. J. Higgins, DH #1: 4-4 (3B, 1B, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-4 (HR, P-4, F-7, E-6, R, 2 RBI)
4. Matt Rose, 3B: 1-4 (2B, F-8, K, F-9)
5. Ian Rice, C: 1-3 (BB, F-8, 1B, F-9 DP)
6. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (F-7 DP, F-7, K)
7. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-2 (3-U, 3-1, BB)
8. Daniel Spingola, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, 3-U)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 1-3)
10. Eddy Julio Martinez, DH #2: 0-3 (P-4, K, 6-3)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jonathan Martinez: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 3/8 GO/AO, 71 pitches (47 strikes)
2. James Farris: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
3. David Berg: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 33 pitches (23 strikes)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Preston Morrison: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 65 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Craig Brooks: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Scott Effross: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: NONE
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1-1 CS
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ian Rice: 1-1 CS
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Charcer Burks - runner (Matt Rose) doubled off 2nd base after L-7
RF Jeffrey Baez - runner (P. J. Higgins) doubled off 2nd base after F-9
SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Eloy Jimenez - runner (Ian Happ) doubled off 2nd base after L-7
1. Jake Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (3-1, 3-1, 5-3, 1-3)
2. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-4 (F-9, F-9, 1B, 6-3)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (BB, K, 1B, 3-1, R)
4. David Freitas, C: 2-4 (HR, 1B, F-8, F-8, R, 2 RBI)
5. Kelly Dugan, 1B: 0-2 (3-U, F-9, BB)
6. Victor Caratini, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, BB, 4-3)
7. Mark Zagunis, LF: 1-3 (6-3, L-4, 2B, R)
8. Billy McKinney, RF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, RBI)
9a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (F-9, 4-3)
9b. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-1 (6-3 DP)
1a. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 1-3 (5-3, F-8, 1B)
1b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
2. Juan Carlos Perez, CF: 0-3 (5-3, 3-U, F-8)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, K, 5-3)
4. Matt Murton, DH: 0-3 (K, F-9, 4-3)
5. Bijan Rademacher, RF: -3 (1B, L-8, F-7)
6. Ben Carhart, C: 1-3 (HR, 6-3, L-7, R, RBI)
7. Ryan Dent, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, 2B)
8. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
9. Roberto Caro, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3, R)
1. Rob Zastryzny: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 5/5 GO/AO, 63 pitches (50 strikes)
2. Corey Black: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 7 pitches (5 strikes)
3. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
1. Stephen Fife: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 6/6 GO/AO, 69 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Jean Machi: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 K, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Jose Rosario: 1.0 IP, 0 H,. 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
1B Kelly Dugan: E-3 (errant throw to 3rd base allowed runner to score
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
David Freitas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
crunch 15 min 19 sec ago (view)
hoerner is a steady glove, but so far he is not much of a "playmaker" with how quickly he can turn a play.
the mechanics are solid, but they're not quickly fluid. watching javy will spoil a fan, though.
crunch 45 min 54 sec ago (view)
7ip 6h 1bb 13k, 4r/er
8Ks in a row a cubs team record
crunch 1 hour 42 min ago (view)
...and darvish strikes out f'n everyone as a followup.
11Ks through 4ip...63 pitches
crunch 2 hours 50 min ago (view)
darvish hates the cubs, and america, and puppies, but mostly the cubs.
16 pitches, man on 1st, 3 runs in, and a visit from the pitching coach. that's good stuff.
George Altman 4 hours 52 min ago (view)
I like that last paragraph a lot, Phil. Then use whatever cash left over in arbitration to fix the bullpen.
crunch 4 hours 59 min ago (view)
c.kimbrel threw a 16-pitch simulated game, he could return by week's end if he doesn't have a setback
crunch 5 hours 35 min ago (view)
4 additional charges (as of now, unnamed) have been filed.
crunch 5 hours 42 min ago (view)
zobrist / cast / bryant / schwarb / contreras / caratini(1st) / heyward / hoerner / darvish
Arizona Phil 5 hours 45 min ago (view)
Betcha the Dodgers are really glad that they didn't trade Gavin Lux for Vazquez at the trade deadline.
crunch 5 hours 50 min ago (view)
28 year old PIT closer felipe vazquez (one of the best in the game for the last 3 years) nabbed for hooking up with a child for the past couple years (age 13-15).
anything less than a full exoneration pretty much sinks his career unless he wants to run for office in Georgia.
he's being charged with "one count of computer pornography - solicitation of a child and one count of providing obscene material to minor" (this was all uncovered when the mother of the child discovered text messages)
Arizona Phil 7 hours 12 min ago (view)
I strongly believe that there will be some major changes on the Cubs after this season, even if the Cubs somehow win the World Series. There won't be a tear-down/rebuild lke 2012-14, but I can see the Cubs going younger.
Arizona Phil 7 hours 47 min ago (view)
I think Jon Lester wil be treated as a much-respected "franchise legend" next season, getting the honor of starting on Opening Day, but then being considered the #3 or #4 starter after that before getting his well-earned $10M "golden parachute" after the season. He won't be disrepected by the club, but his time as the go-to guy at the top of the rotation will be over. (Actually it's already over).
Arizona Phil 8 hours 8 min ago (view)
Keep in mind that Yu Darvish does have an opt-out after this season, so if he and/or his agent think he can get at least 4/$81M (which is what he presently is owed 2020-23) as a post-2019 FA he could opt-out.
Arizona Phil 8 hours 35 min ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: Colin Rea hasn't pitched in almost two weeks so I doubt that the Cubs will call him up (they probably should have assigned him to the AFL to get him back into SP shape, but they didn't). That said, If the Cubs were to call-up Rea right now (and they would really need to do it ASAP for him to be useful as a SP) they could recall Justin Steele and place him on the 60-day IL to open up a spot on the 40 for Rea, so that part really isn't a problem.
Charlie 8 hours 48 min ago (view)
Regarding last night's 9th: Kyle Ryan unwilling or unable to throw his curveball is a little ugly.
Arizona Phil 8 hours 50 min ago (view)
SS Zack Short (replacing Nico Hoerner) and RHRP Scott Effross have been added to the AFL Mesa Solar Sox roster.