Eloy, Happ, Freitas, and Carhart Go Yard at Minor League Camp
Eloy Jimenez belted a two-run 1st inning home run, P. J. Higgins collected four hits (three singles and a triple), scored a run, and drove-in another, and SP Preston Morrison tossed five innings of shutout ball, leading the South Bend Cubs to a 3-1 victory over the Myrtle Beach Pelicans on Field #4, and David Freitas clubbed a two-run 1st inning HR (his second round-tripper in two days) and Billy McKinney drilled a tie-breaking RBI single in the 6th, as the Tennessee Smokies edged the Iowa Cubs 3-2 on Field #6, in Minor League Camp game action Friday morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Ian Happ smacked a solo HR for Myrtle Beach in a losing cause on Field #4, and Ben Carhart hammered a solo home run in a losing cause for Iowa on Field #6. (Carhart was temporarily moved-up to the Iowa squad from Tennessee because the three catchers assigned to Iowa are in Las Vegas with the parent club).
The game on Field #6 was called after seven innings of play.
There were a number of roster moves made at Minor League Camp prior to the two games, with the Opening Day rosters of the four full-season clubs (particularly regarding position players and starting pitchers) becoming a bit more clear. There are still a few more moves/cuts to be made, however, especially involving the AAA Iowa and Hi-A Myrtle Beach bullpens and the Iowa outfield, and it's always possible that some of the assignments could be changed at the last minute due to injuries or other factors.
Cubs Minor League Camp Rosters
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart (both updated daily)
Also, 18 players who are assigned to the Cubs Dominican Acdemy but who were not invited to Minor League Camp will be attending Extended Spring Training and will be arriving over the next several days. The first three (LHP Pablo Ochoa, LHP Eugenio Palma, and RHP Andri Rondon) arrived today. Ochoa and A. Rondon attended Instructs in Mesa last Fall, but Palma is making his U. S. debut.
Here are the box scores from the two games:
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, DH: 0-3 (1-3, F-8, HBP, 4-3)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (K, 5-3, K, 1B)
3. Ian Happ, 2B: 2-4 (4-3, 6-3, HR, 1B, R, RBI)
4. Jason Vosler, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, F-8, L-7 DP)
5. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-4 (6-4 FC, F-8, K, K, CS)
6. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 0-4 (K, 5-3, K, F-9)
7a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-2 (2B, L-8, BB)
7b. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-0 (BB)
8. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-4 (6-3, F-9, 4-6-3 DP, F-9)
9. Charcer Burks, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-9)
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Donnie Dewees, CF: 1-4 (3-1, F-8, K, 1B, R)
2. P. J. Higgins, DH #1: 4-4 (3B, 1B, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-4 (HR, P-4, F-7, E-6, R, 2 RBI)
4. Matt Rose, 3B: 1-4 (2B, F-8, K, F-9)
5. Ian Rice, C: 1-3 (BB, F-8, 1B, F-9 DP)
6. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (F-7 DP, F-7, K)
7. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-2 (3-U, 3-1, BB)
8. Daniel Spingola, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, 3-U)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 1-3)
10. Eddy Julio Martinez, DH #2: 0-3 (P-4, K, 6-3)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jonathan Martinez: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 3/8 GO/AO, 71 pitches (47 strikes)
2. James Farris: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
3. David Berg: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 33 pitches (23 strikes)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Preston Morrison: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 65 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Craig Brooks: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Scott Effross: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: NONE
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1-1 CS
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ian Rice: 1-1 CS
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Charcer Burks - runner (Matt Rose) doubled off 2nd base after L-7
RF Jeffrey Baez - runner (P. J. Higgins) doubled off 2nd base after F-9
SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Eloy Jimenez - runner (Ian Happ) doubled off 2nd base after L-7
1. Jake Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (3-1, 3-1, 5-3, 1-3)
2. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-4 (F-9, F-9, 1B, 6-3)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (BB, K, 1B, 3-1, R)
4. David Freitas, C: 2-4 (HR, 1B, F-8, F-8, R, 2 RBI)
5. Kelly Dugan, 1B: 0-2 (3-U, F-9, BB)
6. Victor Caratini, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, BB, 4-3)
7. Mark Zagunis, LF: 1-3 (6-3, L-4, 2B, R)
8. Billy McKinney, RF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, RBI)
9a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (F-9, 4-3)
9b. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-1 (6-3 DP)
1a. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 1-3 (5-3, F-8, 1B)
1b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
2. Juan Carlos Perez, CF: 0-3 (5-3, 3-U, F-8)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, K, 5-3)
4. Matt Murton, DH: 0-3 (K, F-9, 4-3)
5. Bijan Rademacher, RF: -3 (1B, L-8, F-7)
6. Ben Carhart, C: 1-3 (HR, 6-3, L-7, R, RBI)
7. Ryan Dent, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, 2B)
8. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
9. Roberto Caro, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3, R)
1. Rob Zastryzny: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 5/5 GO/AO, 63 pitches (50 strikes)
2. Corey Black: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 7 pitches (5 strikes)
3. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
1. Stephen Fife: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 6/6 GO/AO, 69 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Jean Machi: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 K, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Jose Rosario: 1.0 IP, 0 H,. 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
1B Kelly Dugan: E-3 (errant throw to 3rd base allowed runner to score
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
David Freitas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
crunch 5 hours 30 min ago (view)
Eric S 22 hours 43 min ago (view)
Woo Hoo!!! Cubs win a crazy one! KB with another late inning, game winning homer - good stuff!
crunch 22 hours 46 min ago (view)
schwarb set the cubs team record for fastest to 100 by a cub a bit less than a week ago. bryant would have won a couple MVP awards in a row the past couple years.
Eric S 22 hours 48 min ago (view)
That was a good send by the butterman - great throw by Yaz Jr
Try as he might, Eddie Vedder can’t find da butterman
Thanks. I’ll show myself out now
Eric S 22 hours 53 min ago (view)
200th home run of the season by KB probably would have set some kind of record too
crunch 22 hours 55 min ago (view)
the inital graphic was KB #200, but i was like...hold on...
it was technically true in the loosest sense of the phrase.
Eric S 23 hours 1 min ago (view)
That would have been pretty cool if it had been KB’s 200th home run in less than five full seasons!
crunch 23 hours 4 min ago (view)
this game, though...wow...this game.
200th team homer of the season.
Eric S 23 hours 5 min ago (view)
Yes. Just like that
Eric S 23 hours 30 min ago (view)
Funny (ha ha) to remember that at one point in this game Yu had retired 12 straight Giants
crunch 23 hours 30 min ago (view)
"i am required to say it's a see-saw battle." - len
"it's going to come down to the kicking game." - jd
Eric S 23 hours 32 min ago (view)
Oof. The lead off walk - horrible. That second hit allowed (which tied the game) on the ankle high fastball - tuff luck.
crunch 23 hours 38 min ago (view)
oh yeah...so cubs win 21-22 on a walk off bote grand slam...gotcha.
Eric S 23 hours 46 min ago (view)
Sounds about right. Howevuh ... Home Game!
crunch 23 hours 51 min ago (view)
d.holland still sucks.
cubs tied this one out of sheer suck going on both sides of this game. i'm waiting for the cubs to lose this one 18-17 in a few hours.
Eric S 1 day 21 sec ago (view)
Cubs need their three-hole hitter to start stepping up at the plate and do something crazy like driving in the two-hole hitter