Eloy, Happ, Freitas, and Carhart Go Yard at Minor League Camp
Eloy Jimenez belted a two-run 1st inning home run, P. J. Higgins collected four hits (three singles and a triple), scored a run, and drove-in another, and SP Preston Morrison tossed five innings of shutout ball, leading the South Bend Cubs to a 3-1 victory over the Myrtle Beach Pelicans on Field #4, and David Freitas clubbed a two-run 1st inning HR (his second round-tripper in two days) and Billy McKinney drilled a tie-breaking RBI single in the 6th, as the Tennessee Smokies edged the Iowa Cubs 3-2 on Field #6, in Minor League Camp game action Friday morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Ian Happ smacked a solo HR for Myrtle Beach in a losing cause on Field #4, and Ben Carhart hammered a solo home run in a losing cause for Iowa on Field #6. (Carhart was temporarily moved-up to the Iowa squad from Tennessee because the three catchers assigned to Iowa are in Las Vegas with the parent club).
The game on Field #6 was called after seven innings of play.
There were a number of roster moves made at Minor League Camp prior to the two games, with the Opening Day rosters of the four full-season clubs (particularly regarding position players and starting pitchers) becoming a bit more clear. There are still a few more moves/cuts to be made, however, especially involving the AAA Iowa and Hi-A Myrtle Beach bullpens and the Iowa outfield, and it's always possible that some of the assignments could be changed at the last minute due to injuries or other factors.
Cubs Minor League Camp Rosters
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart (both updated daily)
Also, 18 players who are assigned to the Cubs Dominican Acdemy but who were not invited to Minor League Camp will be attending Extended Spring Training and will be arriving over the next several days. The first three (LHP Pablo Ochoa, LHP Eugenio Palma, and RHP Andri Rondon) arrived today. Ochoa and A. Rondon attended Instructs in Mesa last Fall, but Palma is making his U. S. debut.
Here are the box scores from the two games:
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, DH: 0-3 (1-3, F-8, HBP, 4-3)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (K, 5-3, K, 1B)
3. Ian Happ, 2B: 2-4 (4-3, 6-3, HR, 1B, R, RBI)
4. Jason Vosler, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, F-8, L-7 DP)
5. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-4 (6-4 FC, F-8, K, K, CS)
6. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 0-4 (K, 5-3, K, F-9)
7a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-2 (2B, L-8, BB)
7b. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-0 (BB)
8. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-4 (6-3, F-9, 4-6-3 DP, F-9)
9. Charcer Burks, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-9)
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Donnie Dewees, CF: 1-4 (3-1, F-8, K, 1B, R)
2. P. J. Higgins, DH #1: 4-4 (3B, 1B, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-4 (HR, P-4, F-7, E-6, R, 2 RBI)
4. Matt Rose, 3B: 1-4 (2B, F-8, K, F-9)
5. Ian Rice, C: 1-3 (BB, F-8, 1B, F-9 DP)
6. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (F-7 DP, F-7, K)
7. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-2 (3-U, 3-1, BB)
8. Daniel Spingola, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, 3-U)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 1-3)
10. Eddy Julio Martinez, DH #2: 0-3 (P-4, K, 6-3)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jonathan Martinez: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 3/8 GO/AO, 71 pitches (47 strikes)
2. James Farris: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
3. David Berg: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 33 pitches (23 strikes)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Preston Morrison: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 65 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Craig Brooks: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Scott Effross: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: NONE
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1-1 CS
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ian Rice: 1-1 CS
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Charcer Burks - runner (Matt Rose) doubled off 2nd base after L-7
RF Jeffrey Baez - runner (P. J. Higgins) doubled off 2nd base after F-9
SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Eloy Jimenez - runner (Ian Happ) doubled off 2nd base after L-7
1. Jake Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (3-1, 3-1, 5-3, 1-3)
2. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-4 (F-9, F-9, 1B, 6-3)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (BB, K, 1B, 3-1, R)
4. David Freitas, C: 2-4 (HR, 1B, F-8, F-8, R, 2 RBI)
5. Kelly Dugan, 1B: 0-2 (3-U, F-9, BB)
6. Victor Caratini, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, BB, 4-3)
7. Mark Zagunis, LF: 1-3 (6-3, L-4, 2B, R)
8. Billy McKinney, RF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, RBI)
9a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (F-9, 4-3)
9b. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-1 (6-3 DP)
1a. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 1-3 (5-3, F-8, 1B)
1b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
2. Juan Carlos Perez, CF: 0-3 (5-3, 3-U, F-8)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, K, 5-3)
4. Matt Murton, DH: 0-3 (K, F-9, 4-3)
5. Bijan Rademacher, RF: -3 (1B, L-8, F-7)
6. Ben Carhart, C: 1-3 (HR, 6-3, L-7, R, RBI)
7. Ryan Dent, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, 2B)
8. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
9. Roberto Caro, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3, R)
1. Rob Zastryzny: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 5/5 GO/AO, 63 pitches (50 strikes)
2. Corey Black: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 7 pitches (5 strikes)
3. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
1. Stephen Fife: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 6/6 GO/AO, 69 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Jean Machi: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 K, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Jose Rosario: 1.0 IP, 0 H,. 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
1B Kelly Dugan: E-3 (errant throw to 3rd base allowed runner to score
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
David Freitas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
crunch 4 sec ago (view)
d.price (LAD) to sit out the season.
LAD isn't going to get d.price at all in 2020 and they got m.betts for 60-ish games until he's a FA. ow. that duo cost them jeter downs, alex verdugo, and connor wong.
Dolorous Jon Lester 7 hours 22 min ago (view)
I acquired Trout over the winter in a keeper league. Not feeling too great about that either.
Hagsag 10 hours 15 min ago (view)
Andrew Cashner still hasn't signed with anyone. Could be useful.
crunch 18 hours 18 min ago (view)
the cleveland indians have released a statement that they are open for dialogue about the future of the team's name.
twitter is all over it and seems to be all about going back to "cleveland spiders", an unrelated dead MLB team lineage in cleveland from the 1800s (some guy named cy young played for them).
crunch 22 hours 7 min ago (view)
Q coming back in 4-6 weeks will be like a mid-season trade! sigh...
but yeah, they should be good in-house with expanded rosters unless they get slammed by IL stuff.
crunch 22 hours 9 min ago (view)
MLB has confirmed 38 positives (players/coaches/personel/etc) so far.
Arizona Phil 22 hours 52 min ago (view)
With 17 pitchers likely on the 30-man MLB Active List roster for the first two weeks and then probably 15 pitchers on the 28-man Active List for the next two weeks after that, the Cubs should be able to "bullpen" games quite a bit for the first month. They won't really need five starters.
crunch 1 day 56 sec ago (view)
the cubs were searching car seats for coins to sign the scraps they managed to get this offseason. i imagine doing everything "in house" might be on the table.
the ricketts will need all the money they can spare to dump into GOP elections, too. priorities. btw, yes the family has been dumping 100s of thousand (to the tune of millions combined) over the past few months into state elections in areas they don't live in. wisconsin, nevada, new york, georgia, etc...millions...many millions of dollars all over the country.
Arizona Phil 1 day 31 min ago (view)
jdrnym: Once the MLB regular season starts, the "Practice Squad" will be a sub-group of the Club Player Pool, as will be the MLB Active List roster and the various MLB injured lists.
jdrnym 1 day 32 min ago (view)
All makes sense, but I think there is one important point of clarification in there -- are you using "practice squad" and "Club Player Pool" interchangeably? If so, I understood the first sentence of your third-to-last paragraph above to mean that Mills/Sadler/Underwood could be outrighted and still be in the Pool, therefore retaining their eligibility to re-selected to the major league active roster later in the season.
Arizona Phil 1 day 32 min ago (view)
jdrnym: Zack Short is still on Optional Assignment to the minors (as are Alzolay, M. Amaya, R. Garcia, Maples, T. Miller, Norwood, Rea, M. Rodriguez, and Steele), but he can be recalled at any time without restriction (no "ten-day rule") because he was optioned to the minors prior to the transaction freeze in March.
crunch 1 day 44 min ago (view)
angels are missing 10-ish players from today's workout and mike trout isn't sure he'll participate this year (pregnant wife, newborn on the way). welcome to the angels, maddon.
Hagsag 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
Are ther any FA starting pitchers that would be an addition to take a starting spot?
QuietMan 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
I'm thinking players should demand that this be added to their list. "Sorry Honey, can't do it."
crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
or washing the dishes turns out to be popping wheelies on a motorcycle riding around scottsdale...
jeff kent deserves to be in the HOF...lou whitaker needs to get in first...
Arizona Phil 2 days 45 min ago (view)
Q-MAN: Yes, unless "washing the dishes" is listed as a forbidden off-field activity in his contract