Eloy, Happ, Freitas, and Carhart Go Yard at Minor League Camp
Eloy Jimenez belted a two-run 1st inning home run, P. J. Higgins collected four hits (three singles and a triple), scored a run, and drove-in another, and SP Preston Morrison tossed five innings of shutout ball, leading the South Bend Cubs to a 3-1 victory over the Myrtle Beach Pelicans on Field #4, and David Freitas clubbed a two-run 1st inning HR (his second round-tripper in two days) and Billy McKinney drilled a tie-breaking RBI single in the 6th, as the Tennessee Smokies edged the Iowa Cubs 3-2 on Field #6, in Minor League Camp game action Friday morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Ian Happ smacked a solo HR for Myrtle Beach in a losing cause on Field #4, and Ben Carhart hammered a solo home run in a losing cause for Iowa on Field #6. (Carhart was temporarily moved-up to the Iowa squad from Tennessee because the three catchers assigned to Iowa are in Las Vegas with the parent club).
The game on Field #6 was called after seven innings of play.
There were a number of roster moves made at Minor League Camp prior to the two games, with the Opening Day rosters of the four full-season clubs (particularly regarding position players and starting pitchers) becoming a bit more clear. There are still a few more moves/cuts to be made, however, especially involving the AAA Iowa and Hi-A Myrtle Beach bullpens and the Iowa outfield, and it's always possible that some of the assignments could be changed at the last minute due to injuries or other factors.
Cubs Minor League Camp Rosters
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart (both updated daily)
Also, 18 players who are assigned to the Cubs Dominican Acdemy but who were not invited to Minor League Camp will be attending Extended Spring Training and will be arriving over the next several days. The first three (LHP Pablo Ochoa, LHP Eugenio Palma, and RHP Andri Rondon) arrived today. Ochoa and A. Rondon attended Instructs in Mesa last Fall, but Palma is making his U. S. debut.
Here are the box scores from the two games:
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, DH: 0-3 (1-3, F-8, HBP, 4-3)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (K, 5-3, K, 1B)
3. Ian Happ, 2B: 2-4 (4-3, 6-3, HR, 1B, R, RBI)
4. Jason Vosler, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, F-8, L-7 DP)
5. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-4 (6-4 FC, F-8, K, K, CS)
6. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 0-4 (K, 5-3, K, F-9)
7a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-2 (2B, L-8, BB)
7b. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-0 (BB)
8. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-4 (6-3, F-9, 4-6-3 DP, F-9)
9. Charcer Burks, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-9)
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Donnie Dewees, CF: 1-4 (3-1, F-8, K, 1B, R)
2. P. J. Higgins, DH #1: 4-4 (3B, 1B, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-4 (HR, P-4, F-7, E-6, R, 2 RBI)
4. Matt Rose, 3B: 1-4 (2B, F-8, K, F-9)
5. Ian Rice, C: 1-3 (BB, F-8, 1B, F-9 DP)
6. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (F-7 DP, F-7, K)
7. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-2 (3-U, 3-1, BB)
8. Daniel Spingola, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, 3-U)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 1-3)
10. Eddy Julio Martinez, DH #2: 0-3 (P-4, K, 6-3)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jonathan Martinez: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 3/8 GO/AO, 71 pitches (47 strikes)
2. James Farris: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
3. David Berg: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 33 pitches (23 strikes)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Preston Morrison: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 65 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Craig Brooks: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Scott Effross: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: NONE
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1-1 CS
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ian Rice: 1-1 CS
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Charcer Burks - runner (Matt Rose) doubled off 2nd base after L-7
RF Jeffrey Baez - runner (P. J. Higgins) doubled off 2nd base after F-9
SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Eloy Jimenez - runner (Ian Happ) doubled off 2nd base after L-7
1. Jake Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (3-1, 3-1, 5-3, 1-3)
2. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-4 (F-9, F-9, 1B, 6-3)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (BB, K, 1B, 3-1, R)
4. David Freitas, C: 2-4 (HR, 1B, F-8, F-8, R, 2 RBI)
5. Kelly Dugan, 1B: 0-2 (3-U, F-9, BB)
6. Victor Caratini, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, BB, 4-3)
7. Mark Zagunis, LF: 1-3 (6-3, L-4, 2B, R)
8. Billy McKinney, RF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, RBI)
9a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (F-9, 4-3)
9b. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-1 (6-3 DP)
1a. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 1-3 (5-3, F-8, 1B)
1b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
2. Juan Carlos Perez, CF: 0-3 (5-3, 3-U, F-8)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, K, 5-3)
4. Matt Murton, DH: 0-3 (K, F-9, 4-3)
5. Bijan Rademacher, RF: -3 (1B, L-8, F-7)
6. Ben Carhart, C: 1-3 (HR, 6-3, L-7, R, RBI)
7. Ryan Dent, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, 2B)
8. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
9. Roberto Caro, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3, R)
1. Rob Zastryzny: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 5/5 GO/AO, 63 pitches (50 strikes)
2. Corey Black: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 7 pitches (5 strikes)
3. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
1. Stephen Fife: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 6/6 GO/AO, 69 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Jean Machi: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 K, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Jose Rosario: 1.0 IP, 0 H,. 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
1B Kelly Dugan: E-3 (errant throw to 3rd base allowed runner to score
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
David Freitas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
Eric S 7 min 19 sec ago (view)
The MLB team Player Pools may soon be bumped up to 75 players from the current 60 player limit - which would make a lot of sense.
crunch 2 hours 4 min ago (view)
"Chicago Cubs @Cubs
Our Aug. 7-9 series at St. Louis has been rescheduled as three 7-inning doubleheaders at Wrigley Field.
#Cubs will be home team for Game 1. Cardinals home team for Game 2."
Eric S 2 hours 14 min ago (view)
It's been fantastic how little use the pen has had (relatively) thanks to the starters going for six-seven innings. Hopefully Chatwood keeps the line moving tonight.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 58 min ago (view)
I agree with all of this except maybe Tepera. I'd put him firmly in ??? territory. I feel like he's looked better than his results but it's hard to say given small sample size.
Dolorous Jon Lester 15 hours 54 min ago (view)
Managerial change making a difference I think. Hopefully the changes to the amateur scouting department also bears fruit
Cubster 17 hours 43 min ago (view)
David Ross might be worthy of a little credit, especially sorting out the bullpen issues.
crunch 17 hours 48 min ago (view)
this team is amazing. i want more than 60 games of this. darvish since mid-season last year has been great stuff.
also, wick got to close. kimbrel hasn't worked in quite a while.
Eric S 18 hours 29 min ago (view)
39 pitch inning by Burnes.
crunch 19 hours 4 min ago (view)
...well, it is true that's the plan...but...umm..."allegedly"
QuietMan 19 hours 14 min ago (view)
Cubs to play double headers Monday and Wednesday against the Cardinals.
Eric S 20 hours 6 min ago (view)
Ha! Hope Nico goes on a heater!
Cubster 20 hours 12 min ago (view)
"Not thrilled"...as if on cue, Nico leads off with a double and a later Schwarbsbomb.
Eric S 22 hours 5 min ago (view)
Updated Bullpen tiers:
Tier 1 (Closer/Firemen)
Wick and Jeffress (interchangeable)
Tier 2 (Preferred Setup roles)
Tepera, Sadler, Rea (!)
Tier 3 (Face lefties exclusively if possible)
Ryan (has to get that fastball out of mid-80s or head to South Bend)
Tier 4 (Long man innings eater)
Tier 10 (reserved for use when either up or down by 10+ runs)
I think that covers it?
Jackstraw 23 hours 34 min ago (view)
Wait. The bullpen can get worse? That's unpossible.
Eric S 23 hours 53 min ago (view)
Here we go again: Nico, Rizzo, Javy, Willson, Schwarber (LF), Happ, Bote, Souza, Caratini
Not thrilled with Nico leading off when the greatest leadoff hitter in baseball history was available but whatever
crunch 1 day 10 min ago (view)
bryant was supposedly gonna be in the lineup but he has left ring finger and wrist hurties.