Cubs Super-8 Overcomes Angels at Sloan Park
Kelly Dugan and Marcus Mastrobuoni belted two-run doubles and Shane Victorino, Kevonte Mitchell, and Jesse Hodges contributed RBI singles to highlight an eight-run 7th inning uprising, as the Cubs rallied from an 8-2 deficit to surprise the Angels 10-8 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action this morning at Sloan Park in Mesa, AZ.
Jared Foster hammered an RBI triple, singled, walked, stole a base, and scored two runs to help the Angels build their 8-2 lead.
The Cubs stole three more bases today, for a total of twenty SB in their last six games (only one CS).
John Arguello has a game recap and photos from the game at Cubs Den
And here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1a. Shane Victorino, LF: 2-3 (BB, 6-3, 1B, 1B, R, RBI)
1b. Ruben Reyes, PH-LF: 1-1 (1B)
2a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-3 (1-3, F-9, F-8)
2b. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-2 (E-6, 1B, R)
3a. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 1-3 (K, BB, P-3, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3b. Eric Gonzalez, PH-DH: 0-1 (P-3)
4. Kelly Dugan, DH #1: 1-3 (F-8, HBP, K, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
5a. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
5b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-1 (BB, E8-SF, K, BB, R, RBI, SB)
7a. Tyler Payne, C: 1-2 (K, 1B)
7b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 1-2 (5-3, 2B, 2 RBI)
8. Kwang-Min Kwon, DH-RF: 0-4 (F-8, K, K, K)
9. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, 5-4 FC, 1B, L-7, R, SB)
10a. Andruw Monaasterio, SS: 1-3 (K, 6-3, 1B, R)
10b. Yonathan Perlaza, PH-SS: 0-1 (3-1)
1. Bryan Hudson: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 6/1 GO/AO, 50 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Jose Albertos: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (11 strikes)
3. John Michael Knighton: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 33 pitches (22 strikes)
4. Mark Malave: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Tommy Nance: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. C Tyler Payne: E-2 (overthrow at 3rd base on atrempted SB allowed runner to score)
2. 1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 3B Jesse Hodges: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Payne: 1-4 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Marcus Mastrobuoni: 1-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Arizona Phil 51 sec ago (view)
Cubs pinch-hitters in 2019 (top ten sorted by PA):
Charlie 1 hour 23 min ago (view)
Wind howling out at the start of game 3, and the Cards have a pretty good groundball pitcher on the mound whom the Cubs have not seen this season. Get psyched.
Charlie 1 hour 23 min ago (view)
Four double plays, too. Ugh.
Jackstraw 3 hours 6 min ago (view)
I just think Kemp has a Sharpie, and access to Joe's magic pocket card.
"Oh look, Kemp is hitting .438 in this situation. TK, grab a bat".
erich081 6 hours 21 min ago (view)
Justin Grimm must have forwarded his Maddon blackmail material to Tony Kemp.
crunch 13 hours 40 min ago (view)
baseball is fun.
Jackstraw 15 hours 36 min ago (view)
Cubs were 1 for 9 with RISP.
Neither of the Cards who scored had to take the bat off of their shoulder.
With the game on the line, Joe sends up Tony Kemp.
2019 season in microcosm.
crunch 15 hours 40 min ago (view)
p.alonso (NYM) gets #50...not bad for a rookie.
also, MIL wins because of course why not.
cubs are 2 games behind in the WC standings for the 2nd slot...5 games behind STL in the central.
crunch 17 hours 14 min ago (view)
i'll be over here watching Corner Gas DVDs waiting for 2020.
Charlie 20 hours 29 min ago (view)
Welp. I guess I will continue to pay attention to the Wild Card race? Dropping the Michael Wacha game is bad.
crunch 21 hours 10 min ago (view)
Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 33 min ago (view)
Another game, another set of golden opportunities to add on to a lead wasted.
Eric S 21 hours 36 min ago (view)
And nine hits ... with one run to show for it
crunch 22 hours 42 min ago (view)
6 innings, 5 pitchers used...and the cubs are down by 1 to show for it.
Dolorous Jon Lester 23 hours 20 min ago (view)
I hate Tommy Edman, and those of his ilk. The pissbirds are masters of getting a few good years out of middling prospect types like him. DeJong, Jon Jay, Matt Adams, Tommy Pham, Allen Craig, Matt Carpenter... the list goes on and on.
Arizona Phil 1 day 43 min ago (view)
Trades involving players on minor league reserve lists are prohibited beginning at 12 PM (Eastern) on the 7th day prior to the originally-scheduled conclusion of the MLB regular season through the last day of the MLB regular season (including a day in which a Game #163 and Game #164 tie-breaker game is played or a day in which a re-scheduled game is played after the originally-scheduled conclusion of the MLB regular season).