Cubs Overcome One-Hitter to Gain Split with Giants
Mikey Edie (two RBI singles), Beicker Mendoza (RBI double), Zack Bowers (RBI double), and Julio Pena (go-ahead two-run single) contributed run-scoring hits to help the Giants rally and defeat the Cubs 7-5 on Field #1, and Marcus Mastrobuoni belted a solo home run with two outs in the top of the 6th to tie the game (and break-up a no-hitter), and what proved to be the winning run scored in the top of the 7th without the benefit of a hit (lead-off walk, WP, GO, and an E-6), as the Cubs (held to just the one hit) edged the Giants 2-1 on Field #2, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were called by mutual consent after 7-1/2 innings of play.
Stephen Bruno (RBI single), Chris Pieters (two-run triple), and Abraham Rodriguez (RBI single) collected run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run third inning for the Cubs in a losing cause on Field #1, and RHSP Melvin Adon hurled four innings of no-run/no-hit ball for the Giants in their loss on Field #2.
RHRP Aaron Crow (April 2015 TJS) was shut-down after waming up (unknown if related to the TJS rehab).
Cubs Latin American Field Coordinator Dave Keller and Cubs Minor League Pitching Coordinator Jim Brower are in town this week, and both were at today's EXST games in Scottsdale. Keller is helping to decide which of the Cubs Latin American players at EXST will stay in Arizona and play in the AZL and which will be sent to the DSL (the DSL begins play in three weeks), and Brower is evaluating the Cubs pitchers at EXST to determine which ones are candidates to be moved up to a full-season affiliate, which ones will be assigned to Eugene, which ones will remain in Arizona and play in the AZL, and which will be sent to the DSL.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHSP Jeremy Null has been moved-up to Myrtle Beach. Null was left behind at Extended Spring Training because he was slowed a bit with arm fatigue during Minor League Camp and could not get stretched-out in time for the start of the Carolina League regular season, but he got his pitch count up to 75 in an EXST intrasquad game in Mesa last week and so he is ready to roll.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only), followed by the updated Cubs Extended Spring Training roster:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-2 (HBP, 3-1, 3-U, CS)
2. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, 1-3, E-6)
3. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-2 (BB, L-5, 4-3)
4. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-3 (F-7, F-7, F-9)
5. Marcus Mastrobuoni, 1B: 1-3 (4-3, HR, K, R, RBI)
6. Jonathan Sierra, DH #1: 0-3 (6-3, K, P-6)
7. Vimael Machin, 3B: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
8. Michael Foster, LF-DH: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
9. Ruben Reyes, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, L-7)
10. Miguel Amaya, C: 0-1 (K, BB, R)
11. Roberto Caro, DH #3: 0-2 (K, P-6)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 43 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Aaron Crow: INJURY WHILE WARMING UP - DID NOT PITCH TO A BATTER
3. Pedro Araujo: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Jared Cheek: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 30 pitches (20 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Pedro Araujo: E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Isaac Paredes: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Miguel Amaya: 0-3 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (F-9, HBP, 1B, BB, R)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 6-3 DP, K, R)
3. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 1-4 (E-4, 1B, 5-3, F-9, R, RBI)
4. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, BB, F-8, R, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Abraham Rodriguez, LF: 1-2 (4-3, 1B, BB, RBI, PO)
6. Jhonny Bethencourt, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, F-8, 1B)
7. Tyler Payne, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-4 FC)
8. Luis Ayala, RF: 0-3 (F-8, 6-4 FC, F-8, R, 2 SB)
9. Ricardo Marcano, DH #1: 0-3 (F-7, 4-3, 4-3)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 1-3 (P-5, E-5, 1B, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 1/3 GO/AO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 10 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Luis Aquino: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Tommy Nance: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 5 pitches (4 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jhonny Bethencourt: E-5 (fielding errror allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "B" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Abraham Rodriguez - batter thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
CUBS SQUAD "B" BASERUNNING ADVENTURES:
Chris Pieters - thrown out 8-2 attempting to score (standing up) from 3rd base on a single to CF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
CUBS EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING ROSTER:
21 LIMITED ACTIVITY & PITCHERS REHAB GROUP
* Jeffry Antigua (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Frank Batista (REHAB GROUP - April 2016 knee surgery)
Dallas Beeler (REHAB GROUP - right shoulder inflammation)
Jordan Brink (REHAB GROUP - post-2015 right shoulder surgery)
Cole Brocker (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Aaron Brooks (REHAB GROUP - hip contusion)
Jesus Camargo (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Aaron Crow (ACTIVE REHAB - April 2015 TJS)
Oscar de la Cruz (REHAB GROUP - elbow)
Enrique de los Rios
* Andin Diaz (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Wander Feliz (ex-OF)
Stephen Fife (ACTIVE REHAB)
P. J. Francescon (RESTRICTED LIST - ACTIVE)
Francisco Garay (ex-INF)
* Yapson Gomez
Tanner Griggs (RESTRICTED LIST - ACTIVE)
Luis Hernandez (REHAB GROUP - ???)
* Bryan Hudson
John Michael Knighton
* Jack Leathersich (REHAB GROUP - July 2015 TJS)
Gabriel Lima (REHAB GROUP - ???)
M. T. Minacci
* Pablo Ochoa
* Eugenio Palma
* Manny Parra (REHAB GROUP - April 2016 TJS)
* Jose Paulino
* Tyler Peitzmeier
* Manny Rondon
Zac Rosscup (REHAB GROUP - left shoulder inflammation)
Jose Zapata (INACTIVE - player coach)
* Alberto Mineo
Will Remillard (LIMITED ACTIVITY - April 2016 TJS #2)
* Aramis Ademan (LIMTED ACTIVITY - ???)
Stephen Bruno (ACTIVE REHAB)
* Vimael Machin
Joey Martarano (INACTIVE - attending college at Boise State)
* Christopher Morel (LIMITED ACTIVITY - arm lacertaion)
# Yeiler Peguero
# Yonathan Perlaza
* Chris Pieters
# Edgar Rondon
Ho-Young Son (LIMTED ACTIVITY - ???)
Christian Villanueva (LIMITED ACTIVITY - fractured fibula)
* Luis Ayala
# Roberto Caro
# Robert Garcia
* Kwang-Min Kwon
* Ricardo Marcano
Yohan Matos (ex-C)
* Ruben Reyes
* Abraham Rodriguez
* Jonathan Sierra
* D. J. Wilson
Jesus Feliciano (Assistant Manager)
Armando Gabino (Assistant Pitching Coach)
Jeremy Farrell (Assistant Hitting Coach)
Brian Lawrence (Pitching Coach)
Jonathan Mota (Assistant Coach - Infield Instructor)
Lance Rymel (Rehab Assistant Coach - Catching Instructor)
Ron Villone (Rehab Pitching Coach)
Jose Zapata (Assistant Rehab Pitching Coach)
Ty Wright (Hitting Coach - Outfield Instructor)
STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COACHES
REHAB TRAINING COORDINATOR
Charlie 8 hours 21 min ago (view)
Lol at worrying about a second wave disrupting revenue.
Cubster 10 hours 53 min ago (view)
IN BRIEF (Tribune, from their mini-sports section): In a letter, MLB rejects players’ plan for 114 gamesNews services Major League Baseball rejected the players’ proposal for a 114-game schedule in the pandemic-delayed season with no additional salary cuts, telling the union that teams have no reason to think 82 games is possible and now will discuss even fewer.Players made their proposal Sunday, five days after management’s initial economic plan.
Cubster 10 hours 59 min ago (view)
Pete Ricketts causing some backspin on their serve...Chi Tribune, Thursday AM:
Arizona Phil 19 hours 58 min ago (view)
Here are the last two Cubs minor league releases from this week (for a final total of 30):
Conor Lillis-White, LHP (acquired frrom LAA for Tommy LaStella post-2018 - missed 2019 season with hip flexor injury)
Alberto Mineo, C-1B (has been quarantined in Italy since he re-signed with Cubs in February)
Lillis-White was eligible for selection in the 2020 Rule 5 Draft, and Mineo was eligible to be a minor league 6YFA post-2020
Charlie 21 hours 27 min ago (view)
Great read from players I came of age watching. Really shows how badly MLB needs to empower their players to speak in real time and not just after retiring.
crunch 22 hours 20 min ago (view)
"A conversation: Retired African American MLB players on race, baseball, America"
d.glanville, j.rollins, r.howard, d.willis, t.hunter, l.hawkins
Jackstraw 1 day 23 min ago (view)
I'm trying to come up with scenarios where saying "The problem I have with you people....." really helps the conversation move forward constructively. None really jump to mind.
crunch 1 day 41 min ago (view)
i still want proof that tom ricketts and ted cruz aren't the same person
Cubster 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Tom's older brother is an ass, even with an embarrassing apology.
Here is the twitter video from Pastor Jarrod Parker:
Cubster 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
I agree. Laura is the real deal. I think she was the major influence that showed Tom R. and Crane Kenney how to show a "human side" and deal realistically and in a non-threatening way, with the local Chicago politicians. Kenney was clearly clueless in his initial attempts regarding the neighborhood, the Rooftop owners, and the Wrigley Field rebuild.
Hagsag 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
I am a Laura Ricketts fan. To hell with the rest of them.
crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
some higher-end high school kids not expected to go very early in the draft are taking themselves out of the draft...including some top-100 ranked talent.
crunch 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
Dale Murphy @DaleMurphy3
Last night, my son was shot in the eye with a rubber bullet while peacefully protesting for justice for George Floyd. His story is not unique. Countless others have also experienced this use of excessive police force while trying to have their voices heard.
Dale Murphy @DaleMurphy3
BobbyD 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
But he has vicious dogs ready to kill the nig***. Oh wait, thugs. He's a real man.
Cubster 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
"this idea isn't a proposal at all and may actually be a measure that is forced into action by the league if the two sides can't sort out the financial details for a longer season."
MLBPA: Over our dead bodies. Followed by Trump sending in the military to force ballplayers and fans to perform like puppets on strings with fans to yell (and cough and sneezing) at the umpires. Ah, baseball before Jackie Robinson. The Trump Republican Party: Bring back the Cheating/Pandemic 1919 White only - White Sox. Say it ain't so, Joe.
Hagsag 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
Trump waiving a bible in front of the church is a total disgrace.