Break-Up Team Banks!
Chris Pieters tripled, singled twice, scored three runs, and knocked-in another, Gustavo Polanco belted a two-run double and a single and scored a run, Sam Tidaback drilled a two-run double, singled, and walked, Aramis Ademan doubled twice and scored two runs and drove-in a run with a sacrifice fly, and Zack Short tripled and singled and scored two runs, as Team Banks hammered out 16 hits (including seven XBH) en route to an 11-3 drubbing of Team Santo in Cubs Arizona Instructional League intrasquad game action Saturday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The two teams combined to commit nine errors, including three by Team Santo third-baseman Christopher Morel.
Here is the box score from the game:
TEAM SANTO LINEUP:
1. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, 6-3, R, SB, CS)
2. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B-DH: 2-4 (1B+E5, 1B, K, 3-U, SB)
3. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-3 (L-7 SF, F-9, E-3, E-6, R, RBI, SB)
4. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-4 (K, K, K, 1B)
5. Christopher Morel, 3B: 0-4 (F-8, 6-3, 5-3, 6-3, RBI)
6. Luis Diaz, DH-2B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7. Isaac Paredes, DH #2: 1-3 (3-U, F-7, 2B, R)
8a. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-2 (4-3, F-9)
8b. Carlos Diaz, C: 0-1 (K)
9. Fernando Kelli, LF: 0-3 (1-3, 5-3, 5-3)
10. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (6-3, K, 1B, RBI, CS)
TEAM BANKS LINEUP:
1. Luis Ayala, CF: 0-4 (E-5, L-7, F-8, 4-3, R, SB)
2. Zack Short, 3B: 2-4 (F-8, 1-3, 3B, 1B, 2 R)
3. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-3 (F-7 SF, 2B, K, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, BB, K, R, RBI)
5. Chris Pieters, LF: 3-4 (3B, 1B, 1B, E-3, 3 R, RBI)
6. Gustavo Polanco C-DH: 2-4 (1B, 2B, 5-U FC+E5, 4-6-3 DP, R, 2 RBI)
7. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-3 (K, BB, K, F-8)
8. Sam Tidaback, DH-C: 2-3 (F-7, BB, 2B, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Yeiler Peguero, 2B-DH: 1-4 (2B, K, 4-3, K)
10. Delvin Zinn, DH-2B: 1-2 (1B+E5, K, R, SB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11. Rafael Narea, DH #3: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, RBI, CS)
TEAM SANTO PITCHERS:
1. Alfredo Colorado: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 1/3 GO/AO, 32 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Tyson Miller: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 32 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Yunior Perez: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Eury Ramos: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
5. Tyler Peyton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (7 strikes)
6. Chad Hockin: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (12 strikes)
TEAM BANKS PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 29 pitches (18 strikes)
2. Faustino Carrera: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Hector Garcia: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Fauris Guerrero: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (21 strikes)
5. Wyatt Short: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
TEAM SANTO ERRORS: 5
1. 3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base after 5-U FC allowed batter to advance to 2nd & runner to advance to 3rd)
3. 3B Christopher Morel; E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
4. RF Jonathan Sierra: E-9 (errant throw to 3rd base on double to RF allowed runner to score)
5. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TEAM BANKS ERRORS: 4
1. 3B Zack Short: E-6 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd & runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 1B Wladimir Galindo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. C Sam Tidaback E-2 (overthrow on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
4. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TEAM SANTO CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jhonny Pereda: 1-2 CS
2. Carlos Diaz: 0-1 CS
TEAM BANKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Gustavo Polanco: 1-3 CS
2. Sam Tidaback: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
TEAM SANTO OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 2
LF Fernando Kelli - threw out batter 7-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
CF Jose Gutierrez - threw out batter 8-6 attempting to stretch single into double
ATTENDANCE: 16 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
crunch 13 hours 46 min ago (view)
t.williams threw a 25 pitch pen thursday
crunch 15 hours 38 min ago (view)
tonight's game (thursday) is mlb.tv free game, btw.
Arizona Phil 18 hours 5 min ago (view)
The Cubs have optioned RHP Robert Stock back to AAA Iowa, and recalled LHP Brad Wieck.
Arizona Phil 18 hours 9 min ago (view)
The Cubs have purchased the contract of RHSP Mike Hauschild (ex-TOR) from Lexington (Atlantic League) and he has been asigned to AAA Iowa.
The Cubs are clearly beating the bushes of indepenent league baseball. Hauschild is the sixth player acquired by the Cubs from independent league teams in the last month (Jose Almonte, Tyler Ladendorf, Tim Susnara, Matt Warkentin, and Jarod Wright are the other five).
crunch 19 hours 39 min ago (view)
(c) hendricks gives up at least 60 homers in the regular season
seriously, though...wisdom has "slowed down" the past 10 days or so, but he still managed a couple homers. he's got a damn good shot at 20+ even if bote+duffy come back to steal a little time from him.
Charlie 20 hours 2 min ago (view)
This Mets series is going poorly, so... off-topic question. Which of these outcomes do you currently think is more likely in 2021: (a) Javy hits at least 40 homeruns in the regular season, (b) Patrick Wisdom hits at least 20 homeruns in the regular season.
crunch 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
wow...and he's done for the night. that's not good...well, for mets fans.
"right shoulder soreness"
crunch 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
meanwhile...degrom with 8 Ks through 3 perfect innings. he's also got a RBI single.
crunch 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
and d.smith gets HBP.
this is high end next level strategy. you beat degrom by injuring everyone until they have to forfeit the game. moneyballs.
crunch 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
ow...villar got nailed in the ear and the back of the head by a throw from lobaton on a stolen base.
Arizona Phil 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
CHARLIE: You are absolutely right.
Granted there are existing rules prohibiting pitchers from using foreign substances, but you don't change enforcement protocols suddenly in the middle of the season. Pitchers should be given an opportunity to make adjustments during the course of Spring Training before any new enforcement policy is implememted.
This can and should be addressed in the upcoming CBA negotiations. Not now.
Charlie 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
That was definitely my position prior to this year. But I am starting to buy into the claim that almost all pitchers are using something, even if it is rosin and sunscreen in many cases.
crunch 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
brews did the cubs a solid by losing before the cubs have to take on degrom.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
*laughs nervously looking over at craig kimbrel*
Jackstraw 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
Guys who haven't been cheating don't need to change a thing.
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
dude can barely move behind the plate these days. i wouldn't trust him to stop a passed ball or a wild pitch even with his advanced skill.
that said, all the cubs in-house options kinda suck.
hey d.ross, grab a glove and get to work.