Baez Owns Lester, Apparently
Jeffrey Baez belted a solo home run leading off the game and contributed two RBI doubles later in the contest (all three run-scoring hits coming off Jon Lester), but it wasn't enough as Carlos Penalver drilled a solo HR leading off the bottom of the 1st inning, Wladmir Galindo smacked a solo shot onto the freeway berm beyond the left field fence in the bottom of the 6th, and Jonathan Sierra belted a two-run home run in the bottom of the 7th, helping the Iowa Cubs (AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) rally to tie the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) 7-7 on Field #6, and Carlos Sepulveda singled, doubled, and tripled, scored two runs, and drove-in two more, Trent Giambrone belted a three-run HR, walked, stole a base, and scored two runs, Connor Myers doubled, walked, stole two bases, and scored a run, and RHSP Thomas Hatch (Cubs 2016 3rd round draft pick - Oklahoma State) hurled three innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts, leading the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) to a 9-1 victory over the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) on Field #5, in Minor League Camp intrasquad doubleheader game action this morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Chicago Cubs ace LHSP Jon Lester came over to Minor League Camp to get his scheduled game work, but the Tennessee Smokies were ready for him, hammering him to the tune of six runs on nine hits (including three doubles, two triples, and a home run). Lester eventually recorded 12 outs (including three strikeouts) and did not issue any walks, but he left the game with his team trailing 6-3.
Willson Conteras was Lester's catcher, and he batted five times in six innings, going 1-4 with a single and a walk, and two strikeouts. He also was thrown out attempting to steal a base. Defensively he was 0-1 CS.
Sometimes called the "Other Baez" by those who follow the Cubs farm system, Jeffey Baez was signed by the Cubs previous regime as a 16-year old International Free-Agent out of Venezuela in July 2010. Now 23, the "other Baez" has moved somewhat slowly (fits & starts) through the Cubs system over the past six years, only occasionally showing the five-tool package the Cubs thought they had when they signed him. But he does have skills (plus-arm, plus-power, plus-speed), and he was MVP of Cubs Extended Spring Training in both 2013 and 2014 (he led the EXST Cubs in home runs both seasons), and he tied for the league lead in stolen bases in the Carolina League in 2016 (built like an NFL running back, Baez is an excellent base stealer). But 2017 is a make-or-break year for the Jeffrey Baez Cub connection, because he is eligible to be an MLB Rule 55 six-year minor league free-agent post-2017, and so the Cubs must decide by 5 PM (Eastern) five days after the final game of the World Series whether to add him to their MLB 40-man roster, or let him walk away as a minor league free-agent (or possibly trade him before he hits free-agency). He is projected to be the starting RF at AA Tennessee in 2017 (although he can play all three outfield positions), so we will just have to wait and see how Baez performs at the AA level, and what the Cubs will choose to do with him post-2017. I'm not sure the Cubs will want to let a talent like Jeffrey Baez just walk away after investing so much time and effort in his development.
It was a "bullpen day" for both the South Bend Cubs and Tennessee Smokies, with a number of pitchers battling for pen jobs getting an inning of work. The best performance of the day among the relievers who threw in the two games was turned-in by Iowa Cubs RHRP Daniel Corcino, who threw high-octane gas past three Smokies hitters while striking out the side1-2-3 in the 7th. Tennessee RHRP Scott Effross also struck out the side 1-2-3 in his one inning of work.
Here are the box scores from the two games:
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (P-6, 1B, 6-3, BB, SB)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS-DH: 0-4 (F-9, K, E-3, F-8, CS)
3a. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-3 (K, K, 4-3)
3b. Miguel Amaya, C: 1-1 (2B, RBI)
4a. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 2-3 (E-5, 1B, 1B)
4b. Zach Davis, RF: 0-1 (K)
5a. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-1 (HBP, P-4)
5b. Michael Cruz, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 5-3)
6a. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 4-6-3 DP, 6-3 DP)
6b. Luis Ayala, LF: 0-0 (BB)
7a. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, 5-3)
7b. Richard Nunez, PH: 0-1 (4-6 FC, SB)
8a. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-3 (K, 1B, 6-3, SB)
8b. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 0-1 (K)
9. Zach Short, DH-SS: 1-2 (1B, K, HBP, R)
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 3-4 (3B, 6-3, 2B, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI, CS)
2. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-5 (K, 4-3, P-5, 1B, K, RBI)
3a. Connor Myers, LF: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3b. Tolly Filotei, LF: 0-1 (1-3 SH, 4-3)
4. Matt Rose, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, 4-3, BB, F-8 SF, R, RBI)
5. Trent Giambrone, DH: 1-3 (K, BB, HR, 6-3, 2 R, 3 RBI, SB)
6. Robert Garcia, RF: 0-3 (K, 1-3 SH, F-7, 3-U)
7a. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 1-2 (E-5, 2B, R, RBI)
7b. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-1 (F-8, BB)
8a. Sam Tidaback, C: 0-1 (HBP, P-3)
8b. Franklin Tineo, C: 0-1 (BB, 4-6 FC, SB, CS)
9a. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-1 (P-5, HBP)
9b. Delvin Zinn, PR-SS: 0-1 (BB, F-9, 2 R, SB)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO
2. Manuel Rodriguez: 1.0, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/AO
3. Colton Freeman: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO
4. Ho-Young Son: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO
5. Nathan Sweeney: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO
6. Andry Rondon: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO
7. Pablo Ochoa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO
8. Junior Marte: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO
9. Javier Assad: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Thomas Hatch: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 1/2 GO/AO
2. Tyler Peyton: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO
3. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO
4. Jose Leidenz: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GO/AO
5. Michael Rucker: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO
6. Tanner Griggs: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/AO
7. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Adonis Paula: E-5 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
2. P Nathan Sweeney: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Tyler Alamo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Kevin Zamudi: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jhonny Pereda: 0-3 CS
2. Miguel Amaya: 2-4 CS
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Sam Tidaback: 0-2 CS
2. Franklin Tineo: 1-2 CS
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Robert Garcia threw-out batter (Kwang-Min Kwon) attempting to stretch single into double
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 3-4 (HR, 2B, 2B, K, R, 3 RBI)
2. Daniel Spingola, LF: 0-4 (4-3, K, 4-3, K)
3. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 1-4 (K, 3B, 6-3, K, R)
4. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (L-5, 6-3, P-6, 4-3, RBI)
5a. Tyler Pearson, C-DH: 1-3 (3B, E-5, K, R)
5b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 1-1 (2B)
6. Andrew Ely, 2B-SS: 1-4 (6-3, 6-3 DP, 1B, K, RBI, SB)
7a. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-2 (1B, 1B, 2 R, SB)
7b. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 1-1 (1B, CS)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8a. Vimael Machin, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 2B, 4-3, R)
8b. Ian Rice, C: 0-1 (K)
9a. Roberto Caro, CF: 0-1 (K, F-9 SF, RBI)
9b. Brandon Cummins, CF: 0-0 (BB, SB)
10. Jose Gonzalez, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
NOTE SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
X-1. Willson Contreras, C: 1-4 (K, 1B, BB, K, F-8, CS)
NOTE: Contreras batted second in the 1st inning, and led-off the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 6th innings
X-2. Ali Solis, C: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, L-6, R)
NOTE: Solis batted fourth in the 6th inning, third in the 7th, and fifth in the 8th
1a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-1 (HR, BB, R, RBI)
1b. Rafael Narea, SS: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 1-3 (K, 4-3, 2B, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
3. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B-DH: 1-3 (1B, K, 5-3, R, SB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
4. Todd Glaesmann, RF-CF: 0-2 (BB, K, K, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5a. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (2B, K, 2 RBI)
5b. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 1-2 (F-9, HR, R, 2 RBI)
6. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-4 (P-3, 3-U, HR, F-8, R, RBI)
7. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-3 (F-8, K, 2B, R, SB)
8. Rafael Mejia, DH-1B: 0-3 (P-4, F-9, F-8)
1. Jonathan Martinez: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 0/2 GO/AO
2. Josh Conway: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO
3. Scott Effross: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
4. Pedro Araujo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO
5. Cole Brocker: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO
6. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR
7. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/AO
8. Mario Meza: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO
1. Jon Lester: 4.0 IP, 9 H, 6 R (6 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 5/2 GO/AO
2. Jordan Pries: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO
3. Randy McCurry: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO
4. Daniel Corcino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
5. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
IOWA ERRORS: 1
3B Wladmir Galindo: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Pearson: 1-2 CS
2. Ian Rice: 0-1 CS
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Willson Contreras: 0-1 CS
2. Ali Solis: 1-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Arizona Phil 10 hours 51 min ago (view)
Dillon Maples does not have the right to elect free-agency if he is outrighted to the minors, but he will be automatically declared an MLB Rule 9 6YFA at 5 PM Eastern on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series if he is not added back to the 40 in the meantime.
crunch 11 hours 5 min ago (view)
p.wisdom is the new cubs all-time rookie HR leader.
Arizona Phil 12 hours 22 min ago (view)
The Cubs will very likely be splitting the AZIL position players into two 14-man squads (like they did last year), with each squad playng in every other-game, and with the other squad having a Camp Day instructional work-out on a back-field when that squad is not playing in a game. There will also be five combined Camp Days during the course of the four weeks for all players from both squads.
Arizona Phil 12 hours 45 min ago (view)
DJL: No. Signing a 2022 minor league successor contract would only matter with regard to a player in the Arizona Fall League, because the AFL schedule goes past the date when minor leaguers are declared free-agents.
AZ Instructs ends on October 16th, which is about two or three weeks before minor league free-agency, so the three guys at Cubs Instructs who are eligible to be free-agehts after the World Series (Dakota Chalmers. Nicholas Padilla, and Eury Ramos) do not need to sign successor contracts in order to play in AZIL games.
Dolorous Jon Lester 14 hours 49 min ago (view)
Sorry to hear about your dad, Charlie. I lost my father almost 2 years ago now, some of my fondest childhood memories are going to Wrigley with him.
All the best wishes to you, sir.
First.Pitch.120 15 hours 3 min ago (view)
If you had Bote in the '11-'12- '13 Cubs draft dead pool, then you are a winner!
Dolorous Jon Lester 15 hours 36 min ago (view)
Dakota Chalmers... interesting. He's scheduled to be a MILB FA, correct? Would this be a good sign he has signed a successor deal?
Cubster 16 hours 10 min ago (view)
Maples dfa. Double Martini too. Hoerner and Thompson back and Keegan to start today. Hoerner bats 5th.
crunch 16 hours 19 min ago (view)
it's never a good time to be in the hospital, but things are extra complicated right now.
hope everything goes well for everyone.
Charlie 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Listening to this in a hospital room because we are blacked out on MLB.tv. I don't know which surprises me more, that the Cubs haven't beaten the Brewers since April or that the Cubs beat the Brewers in April.
crunch 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
m.rodriguez to 10d IL, a.morgan returns.
Jackstraw 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
I like that the team was absolutely committed to not losing back-to-back games on a walk-off passed ball.
Eric S 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
And the funny thing is Rucker was the only Cubs pitcher tonight to post 0 runs allowed in the box score. You know things are really out of hand when Ross gives the okay for a Maples appearance.
George Altman 3 days 6 hours ago (view)
Is there a reason Preciado hasn't been in an ACL game in about a month?
crunch 3 days 7 hours ago (view)
i'd like the 2021 version of whatever d.ross is smoking bringing m.rucker into a bases loaded, 2 run lead in the 4th situation.
dude saw the situation and said "gimmie that guy with the 8.44era 1.59whip" as the first pen option to protect a lead.
rucker has been in 13 games and given up runs in 8 of them.
crunch 3 days 8 hours ago (view)
hendricks last 7 starts...
9er, 1er, 4er, 8er, 6er, 1er, 7er
3.68era - 1.29whip ...to... 4.81era - 1.35whip