Hudson Continues to Thrive in the Arizona Sun
LHSP Bryan Hudson hurled five innings of one-hit shutout ball with six strikeouts, Jacob Hannemann drove-in three runs with a squeeze-bunt and a two-run line-drive single, and Chris Dominguez doubled twice and scored two runs, helping the Cubs whitewash the Diamondbacks 6-0 on Quail Field, and Rafael Mejia belted a three-run HR, Aramis Ademan singled, tripled, and scored a run, and six pitchers combined to toss a five-hitter, as the Cubs edged the Diamondbacks 3-2 on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action Tuesday morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were pre-planned as seven-inning affairs.
Bryan Hudson has thrown eleven innings over the course of his first two Cactus League Extended Spring Training starts, allowing no runs on three hits and one walk, with twelve strikeouts and a 15/3 GO/AO.
Eloy Jimenez (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL - right shoulder) was a DH in the game on Whirlwind Field, going 1-5 (1B, P-6, F-8, 6-3, K) while batting once in each of the first five innings.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jacob Hannemann, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, 1-3 SH, K, 1B, 3 RBI)
2a. Zach Davis, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
2b. Joe Martarano, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
3. Chris Dominguez, DH #2: 2-4 (2B, K, 2B, K, 2 R)
4. Michael Cruz, C: 1-3 (1B, L-6, F-7, RBI, CS)
5. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1-3, 1B)
6. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (F-9, F-8, 1B, RBI)
7. Christopher Morel, 3B: 1-3 (2B, F-8, K)
8. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (4-3, BB, 1B, 2 R, SB)
9. Brandon Cummins, RF-CF: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, 2 R, SB)
10. Jose A. Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (1-3 SH, BB, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 5/3 GO/AO, 68 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Hector Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 27 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Cruz: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Eloy Jimenez, DH #1: 1-5 (1B, P-6, F-8, 6-3, K)
NOTE: Jimenez batted 2nd in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1a. Samir Lara, DH #2: 0-2 (F-8, F-9)
1b. Fernando Kelli, PH: 1-1 (1B)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-3 (1B, 3B, L-4, R)
3. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-1 (1B, BB, R)
4. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-2 (L-6 DP, HR, R, 3 RBI)
5. Henderson Perez, DH #3: 0-2 (4-3, K)
6. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B, CS)
7. Orian Nunez, 3B: 0-2 (P-4, 6-3)
8. Ruben Reyes, RF: 0-2 (F-7, K)
9. Rafael Narea, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, P-3)
10. Tolly Filotei, LF: 0-2 (1-3, L-6)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Parra: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Brailyn Marquez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Yunior Perez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Eury Ramos: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Andury Acevedo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
6. Elvis Diaz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 11 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gustavo Polanco: 1-4 CS
ATTENDANCE: 13 (both fields combined)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
K Dub 2 hours 11 min ago (view)
PHIL: How is Kevin Made's last name pronounced? Is it mah-day? Or like it's spelled - made? Thanks!
Cubster 2 hours 37 min ago (view)
Brewers decline Ryan Braun's option. Any predictions as to where he goes?
crunch 3 hours 4 min ago (view)
KBO (korea) ends their season tomorrow.
a.russell started off hot, but severely cooled off to a .253/.317/.336 slash (not counting today's game). if he comes back to the US (and finds a team that wants to sign him), it should be rather cheap.
Hagsag 16 hours 15 min ago (view)
Around the corner or in the ditch?
crunch 18 hours 38 min ago (view)
my dream of seeing s.castro end his career with 3000+ hits and a WAR in the mid-30s, making HOF voters sweat, came to an end this year with the shortened season followed by the early injury. he came into the year as a just-turned 30 year old (march 24) with 1617 hits.
George Altman 18 hours 44 min ago (view)
Jerry Reinsdorf is reasons 1 thru 100 why I could never root for the White Sox and have hated the Bulls since 1999.
Sonicwind75 19 hours 4 min ago (view)
Feels like Ricky and Starlin Castro should form a support group. Everytime your rebuilding team is about to turn the corner and you're gone.
Cubster 21 hours 24 min ago (view)
76 yr old Tony LaRussa to manage the W/Sox. Reinsdorf decision over objections.
Poor Rick Renteria. History repeats itself, NOPE. This won't end well (except for bring your dog day).
Cubster 22 hours 32 min ago (view)
but, but, but we're rounding the corner. The vaccine is warming up in the bullpen. Tucker's missing email package from Rudy is just lost in the mail. There are no pee-pee tapes. Corona, corona, corona. I like beer. ...and the DeutchBank will just forgive billions of MLB owner's debt if they ask nicely. How are the Russian minor leagues looking this year Phil?
Arizona Phil 1 day 50 min ago (view)
There are going to be a lot of high-profile arbitration-eligible non-tenders on December 2nd as well, and there will not be much of a trade market for high-priced players during the off-season, either.
Cubster 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Cards decline Kolten Wong option. It's going to be tough sledding out there.
Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Phil, we all are so glad you are getting to somehow "view" these games. Stay safe my friend.
Arizona Phil 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
Someone to keep an eye on in 2021 is RHRP (ex-1B) Jerrick Suiter.
He was selected by the Cubs from the Pirates in the AAA Phase of the 2019 Rule 5 Draft and the Cubs immediately converted him from a mediocre AA first-baseman to a full-time pitcher, having seen him throw garbage innings in blow-outs for the Pirates AA Altoona affiliate in 2019.
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 17 hours ago (view)
Good to see Roederer and Velasquez providing some production. From what I've followed they haven't been up to much. Granted this season isn't great for development
Arizona Phil 2 days 21 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have added OF Brennen Davis to their AZIL Active List roster.
crunch 2 days 22 hours ago (view)
"He's a strong kid and shows a lot of HR power in BP and it's just a matter of making it game-usable."
reggie golden flashblacks...if BP was a game he'd be an all-star.