Eloy Back in the Outfield at Extended Spring Training
Kwangmin Kwon (RBI triple), Christopher Morel (RBI double), and Franklin Tineo (two-run single) stroked run-scoring hits, Tolly Filotei tripled and singled and scored a run, Fernando Kelli singled and doubled and scored a run, catcher Miguel Amaya walked, singled, scored a run, and threw-out two runners on the bases, and LHSP Ryan Kellogg tossed three innings of shutout ball, as the Cubs took an early lead and then held-on to edge the Diamondbacks 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Thursday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Billy Endris belted a solo HR for the D'backs in a losing cause.
Eloy Jimenez (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL) saw his first game action in the outfield since suffering a right shoulder injury in an MLB Cactus League Spring Training game on March 14th. He played RF for three innings and then moved to a DH slot, getting three AB and going 0-2 with a sac fly RBI.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
X. Eloy Jimenez, RF-DH: 0-2 (F-8, F-8 SF, 6-3, RBI)
NOTE: Jimenez batted 2nd in the 1st, 3rd, and 5th innings
1. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 1B, K)
2. Chris Dominguez, 1B: 0-4 (6-3, P-6, 5-3, 6-3)
3a. Miguel Amaya, C: 1-2 (1B, BB, 6-3, R)
3b. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 1-1 (2B)
4. Kwangmin Kwon, LF-RF: 1-4 (K, 3B, P-6, K, R, RBI)
5a. Christopher Morel, 3B-DH: 1-3 (F-9, 2B, E-7, RBI)
5b. Yovanny Cuevas, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
6. Rafael Narea, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 6-3)
7. Tolly Filotei, DH-LF: 2-3 (3B, 1-3, 1B, R)
8. Orian Nunez, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, 6-3, 6-4 FC)
9. Henderson Perez, DH #2: 0-1 (6-4 FC, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10. Fernando Kelli, DH #3: 2-3 (1B, K, 2B, R)
11. Franklin Tineo, DH-C: 1-3 (5-3, K, 1B, 2 RBI)
1. Ryan Kellogg: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 55 pitches (33 strikes)
2. Javier Assad: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Carlos Ocampo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Jed Carter: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Luis Aquino: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 40 pitches (24 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Rafael Narea: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Rafael Narea: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Miguel Amaya: 2-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
crunch 37 min 50 sec ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 1 hour 24 min ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 hours 20 min ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 2 hours 20 min ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 2 hours 22 min ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.
Eric S 2 hours 26 min ago (view)
I’m a little surprised and confused that Bote wasn’t in the infield in the ninth? Wth - need that one out boot to complete my day
crunch 2 hours 27 min ago (view)
cubs win! about time.
Eric S 2 hours 35 min ago (view)
Cubs have to scratch mightily to get two runs against the mighty second half buccos
crunch 3 hours 7 min ago (view)
K, diving catch by happ for an out, HBP to load the bases, ground out
PIT has loaded the bases 3 times in this game.
crunch 3 hours 16 min ago (view)
...and we're doing more 0 out, men on base stuff...
2 on, 0 outs...up to 103 pitches and lester's day is done.
bullpen time. oh. boy. neat.
crunch 3 hours 28 min ago (view)
bryant has not forgotten how to hit homers.
crunch 3 hours 31 min ago (view)
2 on, 0 out, and also gets out of that.
btw, bryant has forgotten how to play 3rd base the past 2 innings...da hell...
crunch 3 hours 46 min ago (view)
no one scores! hell yeah. phew.
crunch 3 hours 52 min ago (view)
walking the pitcher to load the bases with 0 outs.
this cubbery is thicker than the humidity.
Jackstraw 4 hours 18 min ago (view)
I knew this was going to be a tough series with the Pirates starting Cy Young last night and Walter Johnson today. Only weird thing is Cy was sporting a 4.59 ERA going into last night and Johnson came into today with a 4.15.
crunch 4 hours 38 min ago (view)
heyward(CF) / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / russell / happ(LF) / lucroy / lester
lester and lucroy...