Cubs Send Bullpen to Riverview to Stabilize Isotopes
Cubs MLB bullpen members Brandon Morrow, Justin Wilson, and Brian Duensing combined to hurl 3.1 IP of shutout ball to get things started, Charcer Burks (RBI single) and David Bote (RBI double) drove-in what proved to be the winning runs in the bottom of the 1st, and Dillon Maples earned an easy save with a 1-2-3 14-pitch 9th, as the Cubs AAA Iowa affiliate edged the Albuquerque Isotopes (Colorado Rockies AAA affiliate) 2-1 on Field #6, and RHSP Ryan Castellani hurled four innings of shutout ball and the Hartford Yard Goats (Rockies AA affiliate) banged-out 15 hits en route to an 8-1 victory over the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) on Field #5, in Cactus League Minor League Camp doubleheader action Thursday afternoon on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game on Field #5 was called after eight innings of play.
Morrow (4-3, K, 3B, BB), Wilson (5-4 FC, F-8, 1B, L-4 DP, K), and Duensing (F-7, F-8, 2B, K) were sent to the Cubs backfields to get work in the AAA game, and Chris Gimenez was their catcher, going 1-5 at the plate (F-8, 2B, K, 6-3, K) while hitting once in each of the first five innings.
Luis Hidalgo was hit in the helmet with a pitch in the bottom of the 8th inning on Field #5 and had to leave the game (although he left the field under his own power).
As usual several position-players were moved-up to the Tennessee and Iowa squads to get some playing time with the more-advanced players.
A number of Cubs minor leaguers have been (or currently are) sick, apparently with the same bug that sidelined Kyle Hendricks this week.
Here are the box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-4 (L-7, K, 6-3, F-8)
2. Rafael Narea, SS: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, BB)
3a. Zack Short, DH: 0-3 (6-4 FC, K, F-9)
3b. Luis Hidalgo, PH: 0-0 (HBP)
3c. Robert Garcia, PR (NO AB)
4a. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 0-2 (4-3, P-6)
4b. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 0-2 (K, F-8)
5a. Trent Giambrone, 2B: 1-1 (BB, 2B, R)
5b. Luis Diaz, 2B: 1-1 (1B, BB, SB)
6a. Daniel Spingola, LF: 1-2 (L-4, 3B, RBI)
6b. Chris Pieters, LF: 0-0 (BB, BB)
7. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (K, 5-3, 5-3 DP, 5-4-3 DP)
8a. Kevin Cornelius, 1B: 0-2 (K, K)
8b. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 0-1 (L-9, K)
9a. Jhonny Pereda, C: 1-2 (1B, K)
9b. Tyler Payne, C: 1-2 (1B, L-8)
1. Duncan Robinson: 3.1 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 59 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Jake Stinnett: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 40 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Steve Perakslis: 1.2 IP, 8 H, 7 R (7 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/AO, 40 pitches (28 strikes)
4. Dakota Mekkes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 8 pitches (6 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jesse Hodges: E-5 (two-base fielding error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
2. 3B Jesse Hodges: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 1-4 CS
TENNESSEE OUTFIELD ASSIST:
LF Daniel Spingola - runner thrown out 7-2 attempting to score from 2nd on two-base E-5
X. Chris Gimenez, C-DH: 1-5 (F-8, 2B, K, 6-3 DP, K)
NOTE: Gimenez batted 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings)
1. Wynton Bernard, CF: 1-3 (2B, P-4, 5-3, R)
2. Charcer Burks, RF: 1-2 (1B, K, BB, CS, RBI)
3a. David Bote, SS-DH: 2-2 (2B, 1B, RBI)
3b. Erick Castillo, PH: 0-1 (4-3)
4. Mark Zagunis, LF: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, 4-3)
5a. Chesny Young, 2B-SS: 0-2 (K, K)
5b. Jose A. Gonzalez, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
6a. Jason Vosler, 1B: 0-2 (F-7, K)
6b. Jonathan Soto, PH: 0-1 (K)
7a. Ian Rice, DH-C: 0-1 (HBP, L-9)
7b. Raymond Pena, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
8. Stephen Bruno, 3B: 0-2 (F-9, 6-3)
9. P. J. Higgins, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Christian Donahue, DH-2B: 0-2 (L-7, K)
1. Brandon Morrow: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Justin Wilson: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Brian Duensing: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Luke Farrell: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1/6 GO/AO, 58 pitches (35 strikes)
5. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (12 strikes)
6. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (10 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ian Rice: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Mostly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 9 hours 45 sec ago (view)
both him and his sister (who's since left twitter) have some interesting opinions on what civility and real americans are and are not.
it may run in the family, but they're grown ass adults responsible for what things they put out in the world for public consumption.
Hagsag 9 hours 9 min ago (view)
Piece of gabage.
crunch 12 hours 56 min ago (view)
arrieta threw a pen today (saturday)
crunch 13 hours 32 min ago (view)
beth and jd in the booth today. beth had a great debut earlier in the year with very positive fan feedback for her work + homework.
crunch 13 hours 41 min ago (view)
decided to check in on corey black to see if anyone has signed that waste of space. dont think anyone has yet.
he might want to remove the photo of the proud boys leader he has on his twitter as aggressively as he's removed some of his weird hot takes from the past. actually, he should keep it there. it will give him a reason to feel like a victim and that seems to be very important to him.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
no hitter! 4 in MLB on the season...2 have been vs CLE
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
...and CIN takes the lead because CLE is stupid...giving up a run on a throwing error followed by balking another runner in.
miley gonna get his shot for a no-hitter win.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
w.miley (CIN) has a no-hitter through 8ip...0-0 game...106 pitches (season high)
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
after this past off-season that is the most logical gut reaction.
there's a lot of people out there rooting for kimbrel and bryant to have a good season as a backup plan (or main plan) for the 2021 season.
Sonicwind75 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Is it bad that my gut reaction was that I'm glad they didn't panic and risk injuring a valuable trade chip? Just keep him rested and healthy.
champsummers 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Jordan Horrobin @JordanHorrobin
#Cubs David Ross says Craig Kimbrel was "just down" today and that not having Kimbrel in the ninth was not injury related.
He also said he expects Kimbrel to be available tomorrow.
champsummers 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
it certainly was....
wonder why Kimbrel didnt't come in?
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
that was -way- too much drama.
cubs move to .500, though. woo.
Sonicwind75 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
This top of the 9th is going from better, to bad, to worse.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Least painful to lose if they don't want to keep a 40-man spot tied up?