Cubs Top Giant Black at Riverview
Carlos Pacheco singled twice, doubled, stole a base, scored a run, and drove-in another, Jonathan Sierra singled, walked, reached base on an HBP, stole a base, and scored three runs, Brailyn Marquez and Jeremiah Estrada combined to strike out seven of the first 11 men they faced, and seven pitchers combined to toss a five-hitter, as the Cubs cruised past the Giants black squad 7-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Monday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called after eight innings of play.
The 19-year old Pacheco was signed by the Cubs out of Mexico in 2016, he tied for 2nd in the DSL in HR in 2017, and he is expected to provide power for one the two Cubs AZL teams this summer.
RHPs Fernando Calderon, Benjamin Rodriguez, and Jose M. Gonzalez made their U. S. debut in today's game, working one inning a piece. All three pitched in the DSL last year.
Not counting pitchers who are rehabbing at Extended Spring Training, Marquez and Estrada are clearly the Cubs top two pitching prospects at EXST, and the duo will likely be at the top of the Eugene starting rotation when the NWL begins play in June.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-4 (1B, L-8, K, K, BB, R, SB)
2. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 1-3 (BB, 2B, 6-3, F-7, BB, R)
3. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 1-3 (E-4, HBP, BB, 1B, L-8, 3 R, SB)
4. Alexander Guerra, DH #1: 0-3 (E-5, L-8, F-8, BB, R, RBI)
5. Luis Vazquez, SS: 2-4 (1B, K, 1B, 5-3, 2 RBI)
6. Delvin Zinn, DH #2: 0-3 (BB, 4-3, L-6, 5-3, RBI)
7. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, K, 2B, R, RBI)
8a. Raymond Pena, C: 0-2 (K, 6-3 DP)
8b. Eric Gonzalez, C: 1-2 (1B, 5-3)
9a. Henrry Pedra, 3B: 0-2 (3-2 FC, 5-3, PO)
9b. Herson Perez, 3B: 0-2 (F-9, K)
10. Fidel Mejia, 1B: 1-2 (HBP, HBP, K, 1B, RBI)
1. Brailyn Marquez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/AO, 33 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/AO, 39 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Sean Barry: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Junior Marte: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
5. Fernando Calderon: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 10 pitches (6 strikes)
6. Benjamin Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
7. Jose M. Gonzalez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
C Raymond Pena: E-2 (errant throw to 1st base on dropped third strike allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Raymond Pena: 1 PB, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Overcast with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
ALMORA GRAND SLAM!!!
way to break a tie.
The Cubs have hired Chase Spivey to fill the open hitting coach position with AZL Cubs #1. He was formerly a hitting instructor with Sparta Science in Menlo Park, CA. Sparta specializes in advanced learning technologies used by sports teams, law enforcement agencies, and the military.
The Baltimore Orioles have claimed RHP Chandler Shepherd off waivers from the Cubs, as the Cubs tried (and failed) to outright Shepherd to the minors after claiming him off waivers from the Red Sox last Saturday.
schwarber / bryant(RF) / rizzo / baez / contreras / almora / russell(2nd) / bote(3rd) / ham
AZ Phil - Close here, but Cedeno to the IL with a “wrist injury“. Instead of Tazawa, the roulette wheel ball falls on righty reliever Rowan Wick being called up from AAA (not sure what he offers against lefties though).
What do you think he will cost?
Blue Jays scout following Cubs at EXST so there probably are other Toronto scouts on the other Cubs affiliates as well. If a deal were to happen, Jays closer Ken Giles is probable Cub target. (Giles is under club control via arbitration through 2020).
If the Cubs make any changes in the bullpen this week, I think Junichi Tazawa replacing Xaver Cedeno (likely DFA candidate) would be it.
It doesn't seem like Maddon has much confidence in Cedeno (and rightfully so), and Tazawa's splitter plays up vs LH hitters (when he's not hanging it).
Not that it's going to happen, but RHRP Tony Barnette is eligible to be reinstated from the Cubs MLB 60-day IL tomorrow (Thursday).
I'm bummed to be blacked out for this one. I'm forecasting a drubbing.
I had a good chuckle listening to the espn crew question the decision of pinch hitting a cold off the bench Javy for a veteran left handed hitter like Descalso - that discussion became moot pretty quick!
So many good things about the bottom of the ninth. Even Willson‘s at bat - though it didn’t result in a run - was a quality, grinding at bat after falling behind 0-2. Didn’t fall for the outside slider cheese as he’d done in similar situations before.
javy takes the 1st pitch he sees down the 1st base line into the outfield...no chance.
javy pinch hitting in the 9th with the bases loaded...welcome back.