To Add-bert Alzolay
The Cubs will be playing a doubleheader this coming Saturday at Cincinnati and Cubs #1 pitching prospect Adbert Alzolay is expected to be added to the Cubs MLB Active List as the "26th Man" and make his MLB debut by getting a start in one of the games.
Here is the "26th Man" rule:
Beginning on MLB Opening Day and extending up through August 31st, a club can temporarily add a 26th player to its MLB Active List on any day where two games are scheduled, as long as the second game was not scheduled as the result of a game that was postponed or suspended the previous day. If the postponed or suspended game was from the previous day, a "26th man" can be temporarily added to a club's MLB Active List for the second game only.
1. The "26th man" must be on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) or has to be added to the club's 40-man roster that day.
2. The "26th man" does not have to be a pitcher.
3. In the case of two games being scheduled on the same day where the 26-man Active List limit is in effect for both games, the "26th man" cannot be switched between games.
4. A minor league player can be added to a club's Active List as the "26th man" even if he has not spent ten days on Optional Assignment (or Outright Assignment) prior to being added.
5. A "26th man" can remain on the Active List and a different player can be dropped the next day, as long as the "26th man" was not called up from the minors prior to spending at least ten days on Optional or Outright Assignment. However, a player called up as the "26th man" prior to spending at least ten days on Optional or Outright Assignment could remain on the 25-man roster if the player replaces a player who is placed on the Disabled List (or other MLB inactive list) the next day.
6. If a player is recalled as the "26th man" and is optioned or outrighted back to the minors the next day, the "10-day rule" clock (prohibiting a player from being recalled until he has spent at least ten days on Optional or Outright Assignment, unless he is replacing a player who is placed on the DL or other MLB inactive list) does not start over again. However many days toward ten that the player spent on Optional or Outright Assignment prior to being recalled as the "26th man" counts toward the ten days.
7. The "26th man" accrues one day of MLB Service Time.
K Dub 2 hours 40 min ago (view)
PHIL: Sad to hear about Danis Correa. Do you know what his injury is? Any word on Yovanny Cruz's health/availability? As always, thank you for answering our questions.
Arizona Phil 7 hours 19 min ago (view)
AZL Cubs #2 RHSP Willy Cabrera, RHSP Danis Correa, LHRP Riger Fernandez, and LHRP Josh Sawyer to the 60-day Injured List, so they are likely out for year (they won't be eligible to be reinstated until the final week of the AZL season).
crunch 7 hours 25 min ago (view)
...and of course it's eloy that gives the WSox the 9th inning lead.
Charlie 8 hours 39 min ago (view)
Speaking from experience, those can nag.
crunch 9 hours 16 min ago (view)
ham gets 2500 Ks in the top 3rd.
crunch 9 hours 23 min ago (view)
Jordan Bastian @MLBastian
GM Jed Hoyer said Hendricks is dealing with an impingement in his throwing shoulder: "I feel like we got ahead of it. We're not sure how much time he'll miss, but we'll try to take it slow and take the length of the season into account."
crunch 10 hours 46 min ago (view)
schwarber / bryant / rizzo / baez / heyward(CF) / caratini / cargo(RF) / ham / descalso(2nd)
Eric S 12 hours 20 min ago (view)
Kimbrel pitched the 7th inning for the Iowa Cubs today - he threw 8 pitches (6 strikes) to three batters getting a fly out to center, a groundout to third and swinging K. Nice start!
Karl Pagel Blues 13 hours 49 min ago (view)
Thank you, Phil. Have you ever considered doing your own podcast? Your grasp on baseball history is fantastic.
Karl Pagel Blues 13 hours 57 min ago (view)
Thank you, Mike.
Mike Wellman 22 hours 55 min ago (view)
And 71 games in, the C-Cubs & I-Cubs are in a dead heat @ 39-32...
Craig A. 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Thanks very much, Phil.
Arizona Phil 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
CRAIG A: SS Ernie Banks and 2B Gene Baker arrived on the same day in September 1953, although Banks made his MLB game debut three days before Baker.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
i think gene baker was technically the first signed, but ernie banks was the first to suit up and play. baker was injured when ernie made his debut.
JoePepitone 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
He only mentioned his second wife in his autobiography, Mr. Cub. I was surprised to find out from his Wikipedia page that he had been married before Eloyce (wife #2), having read Mr. Cub back in 1971 right after it came out. I guess when you write your autobiography, you get to put in only the parts you want to talk about.
Craig A. 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
Banks was the first African- American Cub wasn’t he? Was there a lot of drama with that?