Brailyn Marquez Goes Five-Strong at Riverview Park
LHSP Brailyn Marquez fired five innings of three-hit/one-run ball with seven strikeouts (and threw 73% strikes), Luis Hidalgo belted an RBI triple, singled, walked, and scored two runs, Christopher Morel drilled a solo HR, Kevin Zamudio slugged a two-run HR, and Carlos Pacheco doubled twice, walked, and scored a run, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The EXST Cubs had a few days off during the MLB First-Year Player Draft, before returning to the field to prepare for the start of the short-season leagues.
In EXST Cubs roster news, AAA Iowa Cubs RHRP David Garner (who has been at Extended Spring Training since the end of Minor League Camp) has received a 100 game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has returned home. This is his second "Drug of Abuse" suspension this season (the first one was for 50 games and it expired last week). So Garner will have to wait until Iowa plays another 100 regular season games before he can be reinstated (which will take the suspension well into April 2019, because the I-Cubs have only 83 games left in the 2018 season). And Garner was throwing the ball really well at Extended Spring Training, too...
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Orian Nunez, 2B: 1-4 (K, P-4, 1B, K)
2. Luis Diaz, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, L-8, L-4 DP, BB)
3. Jonathan Soto, DH #2: 0-4 (E-4, F-9, 1-3, F-7)
4. Christopher Morel, SS: 1-3 (E-6, HR, F-7, R, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5a. Henderson Perez, C: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
5b. Franklin Tineo, C: 0-1 (K)
6a. Abraham Rodriguez, LF: 0-1 (K)
6b. Tolly Filotei, LF: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, K)
7. Chris Carrier, RF: 1-3 (2B, K, E-5)
8. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-7, F-8)
9. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-3 (6-3 DP, K, P-6)
10. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (K, F-7, 1B, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-4 (4-3 K, 5-3, 3B, R, RBI)
2. Jonathan Sierra,DH #1: 1-4 (K, 3-1, K, 1B)
3. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 2-3 (BB, 5-3, 2B, 2B, R, PO)
4. Kevin Zamudio, DH-C: 1-4 (F-7, K, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
5. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 2B, L-7)
6a. Luis Vazquez, SS: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, F-8, R, 2 SB)
6b. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 0-1 (6-3)
7. Cam Balego, C-DH: 1-3 (1B, L-7, P-3 DP, RBI)
8. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (L-6, 1B, 3-U, R)
9. Luis Hidalgo, 1B: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, 2 R, RBI)
10. Delvin Zinn, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, E-5, F-9, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Ryan Williams: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 4/5 GO/AO, 67 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Nathan Sweeney: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/2 GO/AO, 30 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Ivan Medina: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (15 strikes)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Brailyn Marquez: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/5 GO/AO, 73 pitches (53 strikes)
2. Stephen Ridings: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Eugenio Palma: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 33 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Luis Aquino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Ramsey Romano: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 3
1. 2B Delvin Zinn: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Luis Vazquez: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 3B Fidel Mejia: E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely and runner to score from 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Kevin Zamudio: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Charlie 1 hour 2 min ago (view)
He clearly did not want to be remembered for selling off the core and then walking away from the team a year later. Can't blame him.
crunch 2 hours 36 min ago (view)
every other contender is full of rumor news for who they'll sign...and the hot cubs rumor is kris bryant won't be traded before the wednesday arb offer deadline. wee.
Arizona Phil 5 hours 13 min ago (view)
jdrnym: The MLB contracts that are tendered on 12/2 via Central Tender Letter are are non-guaranteed contacts.
And a player signed to a non-guaranteed contract who is released prior to MLB Opening Day receives 30 days salary (paid at the minor league rate for players with split contracts) if the player is released more than 15 days prior to Opening Day, or 45 days salary (paid at the MLB rate for players signed to split contracts) if the player is released 15 or fewer days prior to Opening Day as termination pay.
jdrnym 7 hours 40 min ago (view)
If a player signs one of those deals that allows a split salary or incentives to be included, does that get treated like an arbitration salary in that it's only partially guaranteed until Opening Day?
bradsbeard 3 days 17 hours ago (view)
Great info. Thanks!
Arizona Phil 3 days 17 hours ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: What happens on 12/2 is each club submits what's called a "Central Tender Letter" to the MLB LRD listing which unsigned players on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) are being tendered a contract and which unsigned players are not being tendered a contract.
The CTL is sufficient as far as providing proof of contract tender.
For players being tendered contracts, the CTL must list the club's MLB salary offer, a minor league split salary offer (if the club so chooses), and performance bonuses (if any) the club is offering to the player.
crunch 4 days 2 hours ago (view)
theo walked away from a big payday for an executive in his last season as a cub without having another job scoped out...and according to him he's not even looking one.
something tells me this isn't going to be a fun off-season for cubs fans.
the state of the cubs household aside, i wouldn't exactly be shocked to see theo with the mets, though he's supposedly not on their radar at the moment.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 days 2 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have been at the forefront of tone-deaf owners in terms of financial hardship during the pandemic. "The game isn't as profitable as most people think"
tim815 4 days 23 hours ago (view)
The decision on the amount comes later.
bradsbeard 5 days 2 hours ago (view)
At the point when the team makes the initial contract tender, do they have to offer a specific salary, and if so is that the same number the team takes into arbitration? Or does the specific number the teams files at for arbitration happen at a later date?
Arizona Phil 5 days 5 hours ago (view)
jdrnym: A player who is signed to a contract that does not include a minor league split salary is paid his full MLB salary while optioned or after being outrighted to a minor league club.
So if a player goes to arbitration and is awarded (let's say) a $2.5M salary by the arb panel, the contract will not include a minor league split salary or performance bonuses, and if the player is sent to the minors he is paid the full $2.5M while in the minors.
Hagsag 5 days 6 hours ago (view)
Maybe Trump can give them a loan.
crunch 5 days 6 hours ago (view)
it's not exactly looking good when the cubs brass is complaining about "losing 100m in revenue" when a huge chunk of that seems to include Hotel Zachary. it looks like the entire "entertainment complex" is the cubs as far as the Ricketts are concerned...and the team might have to suffer a bit because they couldn't fully realize profits last year. they've publically stated that the big incoming tax credits from the city they're going to realize for stadium work won't help the cubs payroll.
jdrnym 5 days 16 hours ago (view)
If a player doesn't have a split salary in his contract, how much is he making when in the minors (or how is that salary determined)?
crunch 5 days 22 hours ago (view)
we want kyle schwarber to not be mark trumbo so badly...
either way, the NL having or not having the DH needs to be figured out pretty quickly for a lot of off-season sanity.
crunch 1 week 1 hour ago (view)
minor league hitting coordinator chris valaika moves up assistant hitting instructor for the big league team.
looks like a.iapoce's job is safe.