Brailyn Marquez Goes Five-Strong at Riverview Park
LHSP Brailyn Marquez fired five innings of three-hit/one-run ball with seven strikeouts (and threw 73% strikes), Luis Hidalgo belted an RBI triple, singled, walked, and scored two runs, Christopher Morel drilled a solo HR, Kevin Zamudio slugged a two-run HR, and Carlos Pacheco doubled twice, walked, and scored a run, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The EXST Cubs had a few days off during the MLB First-Year Player Draft, before returning to the field to prepare for the start of the short-season leagues.
In EXST Cubs roster news, AAA Iowa Cubs RHRP David Garner (who has been at Extended Spring Training since the end of Minor League Camp) has received a 100 game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has returned home. This is his second "Drug of Abuse" suspension this season (the first one was for 50 games and it expired last week). So Garner will have to wait until Iowa plays another 100 regular season games before he can be reinstated (which will take the suspension well into April 2019, because the I-Cubs have only 83 games left in the 2018 season). And Garner was throwing the ball really well at Extended Spring Training, too...
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Orian Nunez, 2B: 1-4 (K, P-4, 1B, K)
2. Luis Diaz, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, L-8, L-4 DP, BB)
3. Jonathan Soto, DH #2: 0-4 (E-4, F-9, 1-3, F-7)
4. Christopher Morel, SS: 1-3 (E-6, HR, F-7, R, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5a. Henderson Perez, C: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
5b. Franklin Tineo, C: 0-1 (K)
6a. Abraham Rodriguez, LF: 0-1 (K)
6b. Tolly Filotei, LF: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, K)
7. Chris Carrier, RF: 1-3 (2B, K, E-5)
8. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-7, F-8)
9. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-3 (6-3 DP, K, P-6)
10. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (K, F-7, 1B, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-4 (4-3 K, 5-3, 3B, R, RBI)
2. Jonathan Sierra,DH #1: 1-4 (K, 3-1, K, 1B)
3. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 2-3 (BB, 5-3, 2B, 2B, R, PO)
4. Kevin Zamudio, DH-C: 1-4 (F-7, K, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
5. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 2B, L-7)
6a. Luis Vazquez, SS: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, F-8, R, 2 SB)
6b. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 0-1 (6-3)
7. Cam Balego, C-DH: 1-3 (1B, L-7, P-3 DP, RBI)
8. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (L-6, 1B, 3-U, R)
9. Luis Hidalgo, 1B: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, 2 R, RBI)
10. Delvin Zinn, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, E-5, F-9, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Ryan Williams: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 4/5 GO/AO, 67 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Nathan Sweeney: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/2 GO/AO, 30 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Ivan Medina: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (15 strikes)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Brailyn Marquez: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/5 GO/AO, 73 pitches (53 strikes)
2. Stephen Ridings: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Eugenio Palma: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 33 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Luis Aquino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Ramsey Romano: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 3
1. 2B Delvin Zinn: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Luis Vazquez: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 3B Fidel Mejia: E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely and runner to score from 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Kevin Zamudio: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 1 hour 41 min ago (view)
yanks and wsox fans are both hyped up over this signing by the cubs.
Arizona Phil 3 hours 19 min ago (view)
CRUNCH: I would be very surprised if the Cubs sign anyone with a QO attached, so that rules out Story and Correa. I could see the Cubs maybe acquiring Didi Gregorius from the Phillies as a Phillie salary dump if the Phils sign Correa or Story. Then the Cubs could flip Gregorius at the trade deadline. Gregorius is signed thru 2022 at about $14M. Gregorius could end up back with the Yankees for a year under a similar scenario.
Arizona Phil 3 hours 26 min ago (view)
CRUNCH: Willson Contreras to the Yankees just makes too much sense.
crunch 3 hours 45 min ago (view)
yow...okay, maybe trade watch is very underway.
crunch 3 hours 49 min ago (view)
yan gomes 2/13m cubs.
contreras trade watch underway...maybe...dunno if you can actually count on gomes to catch 120+ games a year. he may be high-end backup/rest with powerful bench option between him and contreras.
crunch 3 hours 54 min ago (view)
j.baez to DET....6/140m
cubs are obviously in the market for a SS, especially since hoerner has been put on notice he could be a ultility player in 2022. it's looking a lot like trevor story time unless he gets priced out.
not too stoked on his bat, but his glove is solid.
Sonicwind75 4 hours 35 min ago (view)
Have to admit that as someone that now lives in Texas and enjoys baseball in general (not just Cubs), will likely head to DFW instead of Houston this summer to get my baseball fix. New stadium, some exciting new players. Guess that covers $100 of those millions they just spent.
I figured the Rangers would make a Jason Werth type of signing this offseason. Overpay to bring in a big time free agent that signals that the organization is transitioning from rebuilding to trying to be competive. Didn't expect them to double down on it.
crunch 20 hours 59 min ago (view)
corey seager signed a deal for 32.5m a year and that means carlos correa is having a really great day.
Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 35 min ago (view)
Texas has a wildly expensive middle infield. They've also set the market really high for the remaining SS. And they did it single handedly.
crunch 23 hours 1 min ago (view)
c.seager goes to TEX for 10/325.
they've committed to spend 1/2 billion this week (marcus semien added, too).
meanwhile, the cubs complained to the local paper about how their new multi-million dollar sports betting lounge isn't a casino and they sent out a "cyber monday" ad to offer the great deal of it costing nothing to get on the season tickets waiting list.
it already is and will continue to be a hell of a 24 hours. maybe the cubs will *shrug* i dunno...do something worth talking about.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
BA released their top-10 cubs prospects list...
1. Brennen Davis
2. Cristian Hernandez
3. Brailyn Marquez
4. Pete Crow-Armstrong
5. Jordan Wicks
6. Kevin Alcantara
7. Caleb Kilian
8. Owen Caissie
9. DJ Herz
10. Yohendrick Pinango
reggie preciado got robbed.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
m.scherzer mets 3/130m (wow)
that's more than the entire payroll for PIT last season per year and only a bit less than what BAL, CLE, and MIA paid out.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
both are equally useful to a baseball team.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
The violinist or the camera staring afficionado?
Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Taylor Davis might be next.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
STOP THE PRESSES! They signed someone. Some random lefty RP named Locke St.John.
Sounds like a Bond villain.