Young Cubs Pitchers Stingy with Hits but Not with Strikeouts at Riverview
RHP Jesus Tejada hurled four innings of two-hit shutout ball and combined with four relievers on a four-hitter and SP Yovanny Cruz and four relievers combined to toss a four-hitter with 13 strikeouts, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Friday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Both Tejada and Cruz are projected to be starting pitchers in the AZL, although there is still a remote chance that one of them could go directly to Eugene. The Cubs will announce the Eugene Opening Day roster next week.
Chris Coghlan is back in action at Extended Spring Training after a lengthy absence, and he struck out twice (both times swinging) in two PA before heading for the UAPC.
In EXST Cubs roster news, INF Delvin Zinn has been moved-up to South Bend.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1a. Chris Coghlan, DH #1: 0-2 (K, K)
1b. Eric Gonzalez, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-2 (4-1, BB, HBP, P-4, R, SB)
3. Josue Huma, 2B: 1-4 (3B, E-8, F-8, 3-U, R)
4. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, 2 RBI)
5. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, BB, K)
6. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 0-3 (L-8, 4-3 DP, K)
7. Jose Gutierrez, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Jose A. Gonzalez, CF: 0-2 (K, BB, K, R, 2 SB)
9. Franklin Tineo, 1B: 1-3 (2B, K, F-9)
10. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, L-3)
11. Tolly Filotei, DH #3: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, P-6, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K)
2. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
3. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 5-3)
4. Kevin Moreno, LF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, K)
5. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (F-9, BB, BB, R)
6. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3 DP, BB)
7. Jose Alonso Gaitan, DH-CF: 0-2 (F-8, E-4, BB)
8. Luis Ubiera, RF: 0-2 (F-9, F-9, BB, RBI)
9. Raymond Pena, DH #2: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, L-8)
10. Henrry Pedra, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-4 FC, 6-3 DP)
11a. Richard Nunez, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Henderson Perez, PH: 1-1 (2B, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Tejada: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1/7 GO/AO, 55 pitches (34 strikes)
2. Carlos Ocampo: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Luis Silva: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/0 G0/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Andry Rondon: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Yovanny Cruz: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/AO, 61 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Brady Miller: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Riger Fernandez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Jonathan Bruzual: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Fernando Calderon: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 23 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
2B Josue Huma: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. CF D. J. Wilson: E-8 (missed catch on line-drive to CF allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
2. C Alexander Guerra: E-2 (errant throw to 3rd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alexander Guerra: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 3 min 54 sec ago (view)
they should just play a quick weekend tourney where no one actually wins and everyone gets a small participation trophy.
declare the fans the MVPs and dedicate the series to everyone who has died in the history of humanity.
...then a free live-streamed Nickleback concert hosted by 2Pac's hologram
Charlie 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Lol at worrying about a second wave disrupting revenue.
Cubster 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
IN BRIEF (Tribune, from their mini-sports section): In a letter, MLB rejects players’ plan for 114 gamesNews services Major League Baseball rejected the players’ proposal for a 114-game schedule in the pandemic-delayed season with no additional salary cuts, telling the union that teams have no reason to think 82 games is possible and now will discuss even fewer.Players made their proposal Sunday, five days after management’s initial economic plan.
Cubster 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Pete Ricketts causing some backspin on their serve...Chi Tribune, Thursday AM:
Arizona Phil 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Here are the last two Cubs minor league releases from this week (for a final total of 30):
Conor Lillis-White, LHP (acquired frrom LAA for Tommy LaStella post-2018 - missed 2019 season with hip flexor injury)
Alberto Mineo, C-1B (has been quarantined in Italy since he re-signed with Cubs in February)
Lillis-White was eligible for selection in the 2020 Rule 5 Draft, and Mineo was eligible to be a minor league 6YFA post-2020
Charlie 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
Great read from players I came of age watching. Really shows how badly MLB needs to empower their players to speak in real time and not just after retiring.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
"A conversation: Retired African American MLB players on race, baseball, America"
d.glanville, j.rollins, r.howard, d.willis, t.hunter, l.hawkins
Jackstraw 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
I'm trying to come up with scenarios where saying "The problem I have with you people....." really helps the conversation move forward constructively. None really jump to mind.
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
i still want proof that tom ricketts and ted cruz aren't the same person
Cubster 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
Tom's older brother is an ass, even with an embarrassing apology.
Here is the twitter video from Pastor Jarrod Parker:
Cubster 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
I agree. Laura is the real deal. I think she was the major influence that showed Tom R. and Crane Kenney how to show a "human side" and deal realistically and in a non-threatening way, with the local Chicago politicians. Kenney was clearly clueless in his initial attempts regarding the neighborhood, the Rooftop owners, and the Wrigley Field rebuild.
Hagsag 2 days 8 hours ago (view)
I am a Laura Ricketts fan. To hell with the rest of them.
crunch 2 days 17 hours ago (view)
some higher-end high school kids not expected to go very early in the draft are taking themselves out of the draft...including some top-100 ranked talent.
crunch 3 days 3 hours ago (view)
Dale Murphy @DaleMurphy3
Last night, my son was shot in the eye with a rubber bullet while peacefully protesting for justice for George Floyd. His story is not unique. Countless others have also experienced this use of excessive police force while trying to have their voices heard.
Dale Murphy @DaleMurphy3
BobbyD 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
But he has vicious dogs ready to kill the nig***. Oh wait, thugs. He's a real man.
Cubster 3 days 8 hours ago (view)
"this idea isn't a proposal at all and may actually be a measure that is forced into action by the league if the two sides can't sort out the financial details for a longer season."
MLBPA: Over our dead bodies. Followed by Trump sending in the military to force ballplayers and fans to perform like puppets on strings with fans to yell (and cough and sneezing) at the umpires. Ah, baseball before Jackie Robinson. The Trump Republican Party: Bring back the Cheating/Pandemic 1919 White only - White Sox. Say it ain't so, Joe.