Young Cubs Pitchers Stingy with Hits but Not with Strikeouts at Riverview
RHP Jesus Tejada hurled four innings of two-hit shutout ball and combined with four relievers on a four-hitter and SP Yovanny Cruz and four relievers combined to toss a four-hitter with 13 strikeouts, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Friday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Both Tejada and Cruz are projected to be starting pitchers in the AZL, although there is still a remote chance that one of them could go directly to Eugene. The Cubs will announce the Eugene Opening Day roster next week.
Chris Coghlan is back in action at Extended Spring Training after a lengthy absence, and he struck out twice (both times swinging) in two PA before heading for the UAPC.
In EXST Cubs roster news, INF Delvin Zinn has been moved-up to South Bend.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1a. Chris Coghlan, DH #1: 0-2 (K, K)
1b. Eric Gonzalez, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-2 (4-1, BB, HBP, P-4, R, SB)
3. Josue Huma, 2B: 1-4 (3B, E-8, F-8, 3-U, R)
4. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, 2 RBI)
5. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, BB, K)
6. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 0-3 (L-8, 4-3 DP, K)
7. Jose Gutierrez, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Jose A. Gonzalez, CF: 0-2 (K, BB, K, R, 2 SB)
9. Franklin Tineo, 1B: 1-3 (2B, K, F-9)
10. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, L-3)
11. Tolly Filotei, DH #3: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, P-6, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K)
2. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
3. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 5-3)
4. Kevin Moreno, LF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, K)
5. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (F-9, BB, BB, R)
6. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3 DP, BB)
7. Jose Alonso Gaitan, DH-CF: 0-2 (F-8, E-4, BB)
8. Luis Ubiera, RF: 0-2 (F-9, F-9, BB, RBI)
9. Raymond Pena, DH #2: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, L-8)
10. Henrry Pedra, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-4 FC, 6-3 DP)
11a. Richard Nunez, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Henderson Perez, PH: 1-1 (2B, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Tejada: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1/7 GO/AO, 55 pitches (34 strikes)
2. Carlos Ocampo: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Luis Silva: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/0 G0/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Andry Rondon: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Yovanny Cruz: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/AO, 61 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Brady Miller: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Riger Fernandez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Jonathan Bruzual: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Fernando Calderon: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 23 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
2B Josue Huma: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. CF D. J. Wilson: E-8 (missed catch on line-drive to CF allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
2. C Alexander Guerra: E-2 (errant throw to 3rd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alexander Guerra: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
First.Pitch.120 5 hours 8 min ago (view)
Don't forget the awesome taste of RizzO's !!!
crunch 18 hours 17 min ago (view)
ha. also, this reminds me that Grand Slam cereal existed in the late 90s. it was basically Kix with the marshmallows from Lucky Charms (in baseball items shape). it was actually really good.
Charlie 20 hours 39 min ago (view)
I just love cereal so much
bradsbeard 22 hours 4 min ago (view)
Yeah, both of those guys have some versatility. Could make a nice platoon if it ever came to that.
bradsbeard 22 hours 5 min ago (view)
Rooting for General Mills?
Dolorous Jon Lester 22 hours 23 min ago (view)
I like that they're trying Robel and Giambrone all over the diamond.
Charlie 22 hours 29 min ago (view)
I'll just be here salivating over the possibility of observing a sub-70MPH curve ball. :)
Rooting for Mills in general. Seems like fun as a 5th starter.
crunch 23 hours 32 min ago (view)
dusty baker + adam greenberg piece...
Dolorous Jon Lester 23 hours 36 min ago (view)
Man this Dodger broadcast is garbage.
Sonicwind75 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Thanks Phil for these breakdowns. Really helpful.
crunch 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
i forgot about these types of update posts...thanks for the breakdowns. they're really useful.
strong agreement on the mess t.olson was throwing. he didn't even look happy with himself out there.
Arizona Phil 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
I know most of you saw the game or will be seeing the game, but for anyone else who might be interested, here are the Cubs pitchers velo readings from Saturday night's game:
NOTES: Nice mix of pitches... Mills obviously comes from the "I'm a pitcher not a thrower" school, all of which means command & control matters a lot and he had both tonight... a legit candidate for the Cubs #5 SP slot...
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
hell of a 1st game. even the good and bad mean nothing this early in spring, but it was a nice one. i'm not worried about rizzo misplaying a couple balls in the first innings, nor do i think bote is on his way to a batting title. spring is meaningless enough without trying to read into february spring games. it was a fun watch, though.
my biggest regret is not seeing souza chase down any plays in LF while he was in the game. that's something i really would like to see this early in spring.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
I also hope they edit it for the season. doesn't list pitcher or hitter or pitches thrown.
crunch 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
"i'm feeling right at home." - mark grace