Old Ballplayers Never Die

Jackson (Red) Hollis passed away last fall. Cancer finally got him out at the age of 90. He was a fixture at Principal Park, home of the Iowa Cubs, where he preached the gospel of baseball for even more seasons than he played the game professionally.

I wrote an homage to him last summer for our local paper near the end of the minor league season that sketches an outline of who he was and why he is missed.

Today I was reminded of him which led me to look him up (again) @ Baseball Reference. His extensive minor league resume includes seven stints at various levels of the Cub system without ever reaching the top.

I noticed the meter’s still running on his age. As of 12/28/18 he’s listed at 90 years and 334 days.

Extra innings...

Comments

I enjoyed the Register piece. On BR I see Red was a teammate of Chuck Connors on the 1952 PCL Los Angeles Angels!

glad this comment section is now open.  i also enjoyed it.

one of my time wasting hobbies is reading old newspapers (especially late 1800s early 1900s US papers) and occasionally i'll run across a story about a sports figure i'm not familiar with or some other interesting personality.  on more than a few occasions a web search has led to me to a story similar to the piece written about hollis.

it's really great to find closure out in the wild.

The Rifleman!

• Cubster 9 min 37 sec ago (view)

Bluejays locked up a playoff spot. Looks like it's the Astros that are out. They are unlikely to get a "Buffalo" home game if they are the last seed.

=============

Tribune Cub Notes (Friday AM):

Revenue drop leads to layoffs

By Mark Gonzales

The Cubs on Thursday laid off about 60 members of their business department because of declining revenue amid the COVID-19 pandemic, a source told the Tribune.

• crunch 15 hours 15 min ago (view)

the scary part of this team-wide slump, and especially this series, is PIT is basically a AAA level talent team that had 15 wins all season coming into the cubs series.

cubs are limping into the post-season.  heyward is pretty much the only consistent hitter.  well, technically jose martinez has been consistent, too.

• blockhead25 15 hours 32 min ago (view)

Hey, anything could happen.  They could win 4 2-1 games in a series.

Or lose 8-0, 6-0 in the first round and be done.

• Charlie 15 hours 52 min ago (view)

3 days left to get psyched for the post season?

• blockhead25 16 hours 46 min ago (view)

This is an impressive level of offensive offense.  This week feels like the final week of 2018 when we also had a lousy 4 game series with the Pirates, just without one of the other teams winning the final 8 games to catch us.

• QuietMan 19 hours 22 min ago (view)

So whatever happened to the don't pitch Mills the day after Hendricks plan?

• crunch 19 hours 36 min ago (view)

rizzo / contreras(DH) / heyward / schwarber / maybin(CF) / kipnis / baez / caratini / bote

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

I agree with all of this. I think KB is traded for a SP. I guess here is my guess at the pitchers:

Darvish

Hendricks

Trade Acquisition

Cheap FA

Mills/ Alzolay

Bullpen: Mills/ Alzolay, Underwood, Adam, Tepera, Wick, Kimbrel, Ryan, Wieck (Alzolay if he loses the 5th spot battle with Mills is still starter number 6, and likely being groomed to join the rotation either later in the year or 2022)

• Charlie 1 day 13 hours ago (view)

Frazier beat him on an inside corner two-seamer (albeit belt high), but the Hayes homer came on an 0-2 meatball. Not very professorial.

• crunch 1 day 14 hours ago (view)

hendricks starts the game giving up back to back homers.  wtf...

• crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

happ / rizzo / contreras / schwarber(DH) / maybin(LF) / heyward / baez / kipnis / bote

• George Altman 1 day 17 hours ago (view)

Let's hope so. It would be great next year to NOT have to 'piece together a bullpen'.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

DJL: I think that if Lester, Chatwood, Quintana, Jeffress, and Chafin leave via free-agency and do not return or are not replaced by at least one veteran MLB FA SP, the default Cubs 2021 Opening Day pitching staff will be Darvish, Hendricks, Mills (out of options), Alzolay (could be out of options - TBD), and either Rea, T. Miller, Steele, Abbott, Marquez, or D.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

I understand that any team can win a three-game series, but if I'm a division winner I'd want to be the #3 seed rather than the #2 seed in both the A. L. and the N. L., because I would rather face the worst second place team (Houston in the A. L. and probably Miami or Philadelphia in N. L.) than the best wild card team (Cleveland in the A. L. and probably Cincinnati or Milwaukee in the N.L.).

• Hagsag 2 days 3 hours ago (view)

Maybe, if he makes the roster!

• Charlie 2 days 8 hours ago (view)

Jose Martinez is going to hit some big post season homerun, isn't he?