Old Ballplayers Never Die

Jackson (Red) Hollis passed away last fall. Cancer finally got him out at the age of 90. He was a fixture at Principal Park, home of the Iowa Cubs, where he preached the gospel of baseball for even more seasons than he played the game professionally.

I wrote an homage to him last summer for our local paper near the end of the minor league season that sketches an outline of who he was and why he is missed.

Today I was reminded of him which led me to look him up (again) @ Baseball Reference. His extensive minor league resume includes seven stints at various levels of the Cub system without ever reaching the top.

I noticed the meter’s still running on his age. As of 12/28/18 he’s listed at 90 years and 334 days.

Extra innings...

Comments

I enjoyed the Register piece. On BR I see Red was a teammate of Chuck Connors on the 1952 PCL Los Angeles Angels!

glad this comment section is now open.  i also enjoyed it.

one of my time wasting hobbies is reading old newspapers (especially late 1800s early 1900s US papers) and occasionally i'll run across a story about a sports figure i'm not familiar with or some other interesting personality.  on more than a few occasions a web search has led to me to a story similar to the piece written about hollis.

it's really great to find closure out in the wild.

The Rifleman!

• JustSayin' 7 hours 46 min ago (view)

Solid % improvement for minor leaguers and nice to see the Cubs among the first organizations to break ranks to the upside.  Three comments: 1. Yes, the bonus babies have already BEEN paid but that is the minority of these young men.  2.

• crunch 10 hours 27 min ago (view)

more spring news...

i.happ expected to primarily play CF this spring.  rizzo expected to primarily hit 2nd going into the season.

• Charlie 16 hours 33 min ago (view)

That's fair. And  the discussion would be different if Almora were heads and shoulders above Happ defensively, which seems (surprisingly) not to be the case.

• bradsbeard 16 hours 45 min ago (view)

I'm not ready to write him off from the right side just yet. One of the things I believe about Happ is that switch hitters in general just take longer to establish themselves as hitters due to having to develop and maintain two separate swings. Given that he sees fewer lefties, you kind of have to give him a little more leeway to develop there I think.

• Arizona Phil 16 hours 46 min ago (view)

jdrnym: No word yet on 2020 minor league active roster limits, but I doubt they will do anything new since the minor league 7-day IL with no doctor's note required (sometimes called the "phantom IL") allows clubs to easily rotate guys (especially pitchers) back & forth/on & off the active list.

• Charlie 16 hours 53 min ago (view)

I didn't realize until today that the new network will be broadcasting almost every spring training game. Just a heads up for anyone else expecting the usual 4-6 broadcasts.

• Charlie 17 hours 3 min ago (view)

I think he's going to strike out over 25% of the time, but he's shown that he can be an above average overall hitter even if he's only batting .230-.250.

I'm also not a big fan of the swing, and I'd be very skeptical of him if the ball is deadened. Stats suggest he'd benefit from a true platoon despite being a switch hitter. Sure would be nice if Almora could hold up the other end competently.

• Hagsag 17 hours 4 min ago (view)

Kelly C. to the Braves. Damn it.

• First.Pitch.120 18 hours 25 min ago (view)

Let us know if you see Dunderwood shagging flyballs in the OF...

• First.Pitch.120 18 hours 29 min ago (view)

Re: 6-8, w/ JHey in the 6 hole there are a lot of interesting things that can happen 7-9. You have the 2B slot, Happ (CF), & P slot.  Happ is a Switch hitter (though admittedly better LHH), roster looks to be long on 2B options from both sides (quality issues TBD, but promising IMHO), & a slot you with pinch hit for at least x2/gm. Lots of dbl switch possibilities (w/o jacking up the rest of your lineup)

That creates some brutal match up decisions for the opposing mgr right before recycling back to Bryzzo.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 19 hours 13 min ago (view)

I think proving the K rate wasn't a fluke would go a long way toward convincing me.

• bradsbeard 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

Hey, if you hate the swing there's probably nothing I can say to change your mind. I personally think it's one of the nicer looking ones on the team.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 5 hours ago (view)

Extended period of good hitting? Not striking out at deeply inopportune times? Some baseball IQ in regard to situational hitting?

I think I also just hate his swing. It's so long and loopy.

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 6 hours ago (view)

C/1B Alberto Mineo (25) has re-signed with the Cubs organization according to: https://www.mister-baseball.com/alberto-mineo-mino...

• bradsbeard 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

Happ has been an above average hitter every season he's been in the majors, and he killed it in his brief return from the minors last year (with better contact and lower K rates to boot). Aside from an extended period with the lower K rates, what else are you not seeing?

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

Bote, for the moment, is adequate. Very unsold on the 2 LH hitting 2B options.

I have never seen it for Happ. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but I dont see it happening.