Old Ballplayers Never Die

Jackson (Red) Hollis passed away last fall. Cancer finally got him out at the age of 90. He was a fixture at Principal Park, home of the Iowa Cubs, where he preached the gospel of baseball for even more seasons than he played the game professionally.

I wrote an homage to him last summer for our local paper near the end of the minor league season that sketches an outline of who he was and why he is missed.

Today I was reminded of him which led me to look him up (again) @ Baseball Reference. His extensive minor league resume includes seven stints at various levels of the Cub system without ever reaching the top.

I noticed the meter’s still running on his age. As of 12/28/18 he’s listed at 90 years and 334 days.

Extra innings...

Comments

I enjoyed the Register piece. On BR I see Red was a teammate of Chuck Connors on the 1952 PCL Los Angeles Angels!

glad this comment section is now open.  i also enjoyed it.

one of my time wasting hobbies is reading old newspapers (especially late 1800s early 1900s US papers) and occasionally i'll run across a story about a sports figure i'm not familiar with or some other interesting personality.  on more than a few occasions a web search has led to me to a story similar to the piece written about hollis.

it's really great to find closure out in the wild.

The Rifleman!

• crunch 5 hours 42 min ago (view)

cubs taking full advantage of that "night games deal" with the wrigleyville neighborhood...almost all the home games will be night games.

8 home day games, 6 on the weekend.

• crunch 20 hours 43 min ago (view)

deleted that link.  it was a republished-to-feed article, not a new one, so it's not very useful.

• cubbies.4ever 21 hours 32 min ago (view)

Is Cubs 3rd draft pick Jordan Nwogu not going to sign?  Most teams are done signing.  Since the Cubs have the other 4 signed there's not a question of negotiations.  I thought Little (using his viral video of 105 mph as leverage) or Moreno being a promising HS SP would be the tough ones.

• Jackstraw 21 hours 37 min ago (view)

Apparently being run by the same guy who put Quintana in charge of washing dishes.

• Cubster 22 hours 2 min ago (view)

Joey Gallo tests Positive.

• Cubster 22 hours 7 min ago (view)

MLBPA sent a memo to player agents Monday saying that it and the league are “actively pursuing an additional medical lab site to increase the speed and efficiency of test processing and reporting,” Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic tweets.

• Cubster 22 hours 26 min ago (view)

4-29-20: White House senior adviser Jared Kushner told "FOX & Friends" Wednesday morning that he expects to see life go "back to normal" in the U.S. by June and "the hope is that by July the country’s really rocking again."

Well, that prediction has held up especially well in FL, TX, AZ and CA

• George Altman 22 hours 59 min ago (view)

I'm beginning to think maybe this guy doesn't have a good grasp on being President.

• crunch 1 day 28 min ago (view)

"Angels summer camp workouts are optional on Monday due to COVID-19 testing delays.

The testers simply failed to show up to Angels camp on Sunday, and there were also apparently some shipping issues with samples during the July 4 holiday weekend. The Astros, Nationals, and Cardinals have outright canceled their Monday workouts because of delays within MLB's testing protocol."

neat.  this is going just great.

but hey, i'm sure a month from now we'll be done with all this crazy virus stuff going on...as players consider multi-game road trips through FL/TX/AZ/CA.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

With players dropping like flies and others opting-out, methinks the MLB season could resemble the last three innings of a Cactus League Spring Training game.

• Cubster 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

Cubs first Wrigley game is vs Brewers per Sun-Times. Full Schedules to come out in an hour.

• Cubster 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

Dodger stadium Covid testing site was closed without notice today. Long lines, pissed off people. ClusterF*cked Americans as the virus spreads. Here is the WSCR link that says KB is pissed about the lax testing by MLB.

• Cubster 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

Dodger's Stadium is a testing site. Except, you can't just get a test. You have to be symptomatic. Cough, cough...this is really not going well.

• Cubster 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

Worrisome. Astros and Nats cancel workouts because of Covid testing delays.

Trumpy: "Anyone who wants a test, can get a test." 3-6-20. Four months ago.

• crunch 2 days 1 hour ago (view)

"Yu Darvish threw his new pitch, a two-seam/splitter hybrid, during his first intrasquad game appearance on Saturday.

Darvish, who already had 10 different pitch variations in his arsenal, is calling this new pitch "The Supreme.""

• crunch 2 days 1 hour ago (view)

"I've been thinking about it and been thinking about it before we put out that statement," (Terry) Francona said. "I know in the past, when I've been asked about, whether it's our name or the Chief Wahoo, I think I would usually answer and say I know that we're never trying to be disrespectful. And I still feel that way, but I don't think that's a good enough answer today. I think it's time to move forward. It's a very difficult subject. It's also delicate," he said.