Lester Goes Six on the Backfields and Ademan Belts Solo HR
Tyler Durna singled twice, doubled, scored a run, knocked-in a run with a sacrifice fly, and stole a base, D. J. Artis reached base three times (a single and two walks) and scored a run, Dalton Hurd smacked an RBI triple and a single and scored a run, Josue Huma ripped a two-run triple, and SP Cam Sanders tossed three innings of no run/no hit ball, leading the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Cubs) to a 4-1 victory over the Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies Lo-A affiliate) on Field #5, and Aramis Ademan belted a HR leading off the bottom of the 1st inning, singled, walked and scored, Miguel Amaya roped an RBI double into the LF corner and scored, Jimmy Herron drilled an RBI single, reached base on an HBP, and stole a base, and Jon Lester hurled six innings (87 pitches) of two-run ball (five hits, two walks, seven strikeouts, and a wild pitch) and combined with Bryan Hudson to fan 13, as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) edged the Lancaster JetHawks (Rockies Hi-A affiliate) 3-2 on Field #6, in Cactus League Minor League Spring Training game action Monday afternoon at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The rest of the Cubs MLB squad had the day off, but Victor Caratini came over to the Riverview backfields to catch Lester, and he had one AB in each of the first six innings (while he and Lester were in the game), going 1-5 with a double and a walk.
In Cubs Minor League Camp news, OF Jamie Galazin (Cubs 2018 22nd round draft pick - St. John's) is being converted to a RHP. He was drafted by the Cubs as an outfielder, but he did pitch a bit in college (10 games), so he is at least somewhat familiar with the pitching thing. Whether Galazin will be used strictly as a pitcher or possibly as the now popular "two-way player" remains to be seen, but in either case he will be remaining at Extended Spring Training while he proceeds forward with the mound conversion.
Here are the abridged box scores from the games (Cubs players only):
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Artis, CF: 1-1 (1B, BB, BB, R)
1b. Fernando Kelli, CF: 0-2 (F-7, K)
2a. Dalton Hurd, LF: 2-3 (1B, 3B, K, R, RBI)
2b. Edmond Americaan, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
3. Tyler Durna, 1B: 3-4 (4-6-3 DP, F-7 SF, 1B, 2B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
4a. Jonasthan Sierra, RF: 1-3 (3-1, 1B, 1-U)
4b. Kevin Moreno, RF: 0-2 (K, L-8)
5a. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 0-2 (2-3, BB, 3-U)
5b. Delvin Zinn, 2B: 1-1 (1B, BB, R)
6. Christopher Morel, SS: 1-4 (1B, BB, K K, K, SB)
7a. Luis Diaz, 3B: 0-3 (6-3, F-8, 6-3)
7b. Josue Huma, 3B: 1-2 (4-3, 3B, 2 RBI)
8. Brennen Davis, DH: 0-4 (6-3, BB, E-6, 5-3, 5-3, PO)
9a. Eric Gonzalez, C: 1-2 (L-8, 1B)
9b. Henderson Perez, C: 0-1 (F-9, BB)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Cam Sanders: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1/6 GO/AO, 49 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Garrett Kelly: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Casey Ryan: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Sean Barry: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Robert Robbins: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 12 pitches (6 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Tyler Durna: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Luis Diaz: E-5 (dropped pop fly in foul territory extended batter's AB)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Eric Gonzalez: 0-1 CS
2. Henderson Perez: 0-1 CS
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
X. Victor Caratini, C: 1-5 (2B, 4-3, 6-4-3 DP, 4-3, K, BB)
NOTE: Caratini batted third in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th innings
1. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-3 (HR, F-8, BB, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
2. Zach Davis, CF: 0-3 (P-6, BB, F-7, 3-1, PO)
3. Miguel Amaya, DH-C: 1-2 (F-8, HBP, 2B, R, RBI, PO)
4. Jimmy Herron, RF: 1-2 (F-9, HBP, 1B, RBI, SB)
5. Andy Weber, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, P-6)
6a. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
6b. Rafael Narea, 3B: 0-0 (BB)
7a. Grant Fennell, LF: 0-1 (BB, 6-4 FC, CS)
7b. Brandon Vicens, LF: 0-1 (K)
8. Austin Filiere, 1B-DH: 0-1 (BB, 6-3)
9. Cole Roederer, DH #2: 0-2 (K, F-7, BB, CS)
10. Gustavo Polanco, DH-1B: 0-2 (F-8, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 1st TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jon Lester: 6.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 6/4 GO/AO, 87 pitches (60 strikes)
2. Bryan Hudson: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 47 pitches (31 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS:
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Victor Caratini: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 5 hours 18 sec ago (view)
Charlie 5 hours 54 min ago (view)
Lester pitched 35 innings today.
crunch 8 hours 34 min ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 9 hours 20 min ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 10 hours 16 min ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 10 hours 17 min ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 10 hours 18 min ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.
Eric S 10 hours 22 min ago (view)
I’m a little surprised and confused that Bote wasn’t in the infield in the ninth? Wth - need that one out boot to complete my day
crunch 10 hours 23 min ago (view)
cubs win! about time.
Eric S 10 hours 32 min ago (view)
Cubs have to scratch mightily to get two runs against the mighty second half buccos
crunch 11 hours 3 min ago (view)
K, diving catch by happ for an out, HBP to load the bases, ground out
PIT has loaded the bases 3 times in this game.
crunch 11 hours 12 min ago (view)
...and we're doing more 0 out, men on base stuff...
2 on, 0 outs...up to 103 pitches and lester's day is done.
bullpen time. oh. boy. neat.
crunch 11 hours 25 min ago (view)
bryant has not forgotten how to hit homers.
crunch 11 hours 28 min ago (view)
2 on, 0 out, and also gets out of that.
btw, bryant has forgotten how to play 3rd base the past 2 innings...da hell...
crunch 11 hours 42 min ago (view)
no one scores! hell yeah. phew.
crunch 11 hours 48 min ago (view)
walking the pitcher to load the bases with 0 outs.
this cubbery is thicker than the humidity.