Cedeno Sophisticated Slop Too Much for Young Giants
Yonathan Perlaza drilled an RBI double and an RBI single, walked, stole a base, and scored a run, Edmond Americaan laced an RBI single and a double, walked, stole a base, and scored two runs. Jacob Hannemann collected three singles, stole a base, and scored two runs, Josue Huma belted a two-run double, drew a walk, and scored a run, Fernando Kelli knocked in two runs with a triple and a GO, walked, stole a base, and scored a run, Dalton Hurd smacked an inside-the-park HR (line-drive bounded past centerfielder after diving catch attempt and rolled to the base of the Batter's Eye), and Oscar de la Cruz hurled 4.1 IP of one run ball with six strikeouts, leading the Cubs "A" Team to a 12-6 thrashing of the Giants Black squad in Cactus League Extended Spring Training Opening Day game action Friday morning on Field #6 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
Addison Russell played SS for four innings and batted once in each of the first four innings, going 1-3 (single and a run scored and an RBI on a sac fly). As things stand right now, Russell is eligible to be reinstated from the Restricted List on May 2nd (which is an off day) and make his 2019 MLB regular season debut on Friday May 3rd at Wrigley Field vs STL.
LHP Xavier Cedeno (on the Cubs MLB 10-day Injured List with left wrist inflammation) made his first game appearance of 2019 and easily struck out the side in the top of the 1st inning, mixing a filthy CV with a straight-CH and maybe one FB. The young Giants had no chance against him.
Prior to the game on Field #6, RHRP Tony Barnette threw "live" BP on Field #5, facing hitters for the first time since being shut-down with right shoulder inflammation following an MLB Cactus League game appearance on March 3rd. (Barnette is a few days behind Cedeno).
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
X. Addison Russell, SS: 1-3 (F-9 SF, E-8, F-9, 1B, R, RBI)
NOTE: Russell batted third in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings
1. Luis Vazquez, DH-SS: 0-5 (E-4, 6-3, K, F-8, P-3, R)
2a. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 1B, 2 R, SB)
2b. Dalton Hurd, LF: 1-1 (HR, R, RBI)
3. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 2-3 (2B, 5-3, 1B, BB, R, 2 RBI, SB)
4. Alexander Guerra, C-DH: 1-2 (4-3, 1B, BB, BB, R)
5. Jake Slaughter, 1B: 0-3 (K, F-9, F-7, BB)
6. Josue Huma, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, 2B, BB, F-7, R, 2 RBI)
7. Edmond Americaan, RF: 2-3 (2B, 1B, 4-6 FC, BB, 2 R, RBI, SB)
8. Fernando Kelli, LF-CF: 1-3 (5-3, 3B, BB, 5-4-3 DP, R, 2 RBI, SB)
9. Luis Diaz, DH #2: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, K, 6-3, R)
10. Danny Zardon, DH-C: 0-1 (K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first two times thru batting order
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Xavier Cedeno: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
2. Jake Stinnett: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Oscar de la Cruz: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 6 K, 2 WP, 3/4 GO/AO, 78 pitches (47 strikes)
4. Fauris Guerrero: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 25 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Tommy Nance: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
6. Alexander Vargas: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/AO, 23 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: NONE
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alexander Guerra: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Mostly cloudy with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"