Rockies Morgan Has Hitting Shoes On at Salt River Fields
Luke Morgan collected four hits (three singles and a triple) and drove-in two runs, leading the Rockies to a 6-3 victory over the Cubs "B" team, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Monday morning on Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Luis Verdugo clubbed a two-run HR for the Cubs in a losing cause.
Cubs pitchers Misael Garcia, Jorge Remon, and Luis Ramos made their U. S. game debut. All three pitched in the DSL in 2018 and are competing for spots on the Cubs AZL teams. (RHP Benjamin Rodriguez made his 2019 game debut and like the other three pitched in the DSL in 2018, but he attended Extended Spring Training last year before being returned to the DSL in May, so this was not his first game in the U. S.).
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only)
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1a. Reivaj Garcia, 2B 1-3 (4-3, 1B, 1-3, R)
1b. Pedro Martinez, 2B: 0-1 (5-3)
2. Brennen Davis, CF: 1-3 (1B, F-9 SF, 5-3, L-8, RBI, SB)
3. Luis Verdugo, SS: 1-4 (P-6, HR, F-9, K, R, 2 RBI)
4a. Jonathan Soto, C: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-3)
4b. Raymond Pena, C: 0-0 (BB)
5a. Fabian Pertuz, DH #1: 1-3 (5-3, F-8, 1B)
5b. Kevin Moreno, PH: 0-1 (K+WP)
6. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, 1B, F-9)
7. Carlos Morfa, DH #2: 0-4 (K, 5-3, K, K)
8a. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, P-5)
8b. Ervis Marchan, 1B: NO AB
9. Brandon Vicens, LF: 1-2 (2B, 1-3, BB, R)
10a. Ricardo Verenzuela, RF: 0-2 (P-4, 1-3)
10b. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 0-1 (F-7)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Ocampo: 2.0 IP, 1 H 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 4/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (9 strikes)
2. Misael Garcia: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 BALK, 1/0 GO/AO, 19 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Jorge Remon: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Luis Ramos: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 0/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Blake Whitney: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/4 GO/AO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
6. Luis Silva: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 0/2 GO/AO, 20 pitches (8 strikes)
7. Benjamin Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 4
1. 2B Reivaj Garcia: E-4 (errant throw to 1st allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. C Jonathan Soto: E-2 (errant throw to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
3. P Luis Ramos: E-1 (errant throw to 2nd base on pick-off attempt allowed runner to score)
4. CF Brennen Davis: E-8 (overran ball in CF after E-1 pick-off attempt at 2nd allowing runner on 1st to advance to 3rd)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jonathan Soto: 0-3 CS, 2 PB, 1 E (see above)
2. Raymond Pena: 2-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Eric S 3 hours 56 min ago (view)
Definitely was time for Monty and/or Chatwood to move on.
crunch 4 hours 1 min ago (view)
pretty much washes out the $$, but i was kinda sick of montgomery. it's not much of a gamble for KC given that monty has club control years left.
all D with a little pop...better option than t.davis, at least.
hopefully this move isn't because contreras might be DL bound.
Eric S 4 hours 2 min ago (view)
Per the internet, Cubs have traded for KC catcher Martin Maldonado. 🤷♂️
Update: trade in exchange for Mike Montgomery
Well that will clear up a spot in the bullpen at a minimum and perhaps kicks Descalso to the curb in the process to clear room on the bench for Maldonado
Well shit. Willson to the 10 day IL with a strained arch to the right foot (shakes angry fist at Rosario for his wildness at the root of this). Guess Descalso will get to relax, strike out and eat sunflower seeds on the bench for a while longer.
Eric S 4 hours 35 min ago (view)
Just a putrid game in a lot of respects. Cubs futility against the Reds is highly annoying.
crunch 4 hours 39 min ago (view)
cubs lose, cards move into 2nd in the central.
Eric S 4 hours 40 min ago (view)
Happ starting to make some noise in Iowa with a three hit night, with two homers (now 15 for the season), raising his average to .240 - I don’t think it’s been that high for several months. I believe he’s had a number of multi-hit games the last couple of weeks to help bump up the average.
Eric S 5 hours 9 min ago (view)
Reds reliever Michael Lorenzen reminding Theo that he’s significantly better than both of Theo‘s big offseason acquisitions of Brach and Descalso in both pitching and hitting. Perhaps Brach is the better base runner?
crunch 5 hours 9 min ago (view)
heyward - 1
bat - 0
crunch 5 hours 17 min ago (view)
bad D has directly resulted in at least 3 of tonight's reds runs.
Eric S 5 hours 18 min ago (view)
Brach has inherited 15 runs - some how, some way, 50 of them have scored
Eric S 5 hours 26 min ago (view)
I bet Hendricks wasn’t envisioning seeing both Rosario and Brach pitching in the 8th after leaving with a 3-2 lead after six.
Eric S 5 hours 40 min ago (view)
Been a month since Rizzo hit a dinger. Tonight would be a good time to get off the schnide.
Eric S 5 hours 50 min ago (view)
First half Cubs showed up for the top of the seventh - yuck
crunch 5 hours 51 min ago (view)
also, dude, cishek.
crunch 6 hours 17 min ago (view)
can't think of a much better way to spend some loot, myself. sounds awesome.
michael2z 6 hours 46 min ago (view)
I try to go to a three-game series every year. I have been taking my son for years and began taking two of my grandsons the last four years and plan on bringing all three to a series next year. I was born and raised in the Chicago area and I still have family there (my cousins own the Twin Anchors restaurant in Old Town).
Yes, the cost is much, but the time with family is truly priceless. Trying to enjoy the time I’ve got left, hoping that the boys have a great time and memories to share for generations