Gallardo Makes Pro Game Debut at Riverview
Edmond Americaan, Carlos Pacheco, and Luis Diaz stroked RBI doubles for the Cubs, and Patrick Hilson belted a three-run HR, tripled and scored, and singled and scored for the Giants, as the Cubs "A" team and the Giants Black squad battled to a 6-6 ten-inning tie, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Tuesday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called after ten innings of play.
17-year old RHP Richard Gallardo (2018-19 IFA - Venezuela - $1M signing bonus) made his professional game debut for the Cubs, getting the start and working 1.1 IP. He allowed two runs on two hits (both singles), issued no walks, and struck out two (one swinging and one looking). He also uncorked a WP. As was the case in his "live" BP session last week, Gallardo mixed a 91-93 MPH FB with a slow CV and had excellent command of both pitches (he threw 75% strikes).
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Jacob Hannemann, LF-DH: 1-4 (1B, F-8, 4-3, HBP, P-6, R)
2. Edmond Americaan, CF: 1-4 (2B, 1-3, L-8 SF, 4-3, 6-3, R, 2 RBI)
3. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 1-5 (4-3, 1B, K, K, 4-3, SB)
4. Josue Huma, SS: 2-4 (2B, K, F-8, 1B, BB, R, SB)
5. Carlos Pacheco, DH #1: 1-5 (2B, 5-3, 4-3, F-8, 5-4 FC, RBI)
6. Ezequiel Pagan, RF: 1-4 (4-3, 3-1, 1B, K, R)
7. Luis Diaz, 2B: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 2B, L-8, RBI)
8. Orian Nunez, 1B-C: 1-4 (K, P-3, 1B, K)
9. Dalton Hurd, DH-LF: 0-3 (5-3, BB, K, 5-3, R, SB)
10. Danny Zardon, C-1B: 2-4 (P-4, 1B, K, 1B, R, RBI)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Richard Gallardo: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (12 strikes)
2. Ivan Medina: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 3/1 GO/AO, 27 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Junichi Tazawa: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Jake Stinnett: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Maikel Aguiar: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (17 strikes)
6. Elias Herrera: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (25 strikes)
7. Sean Barry: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 1
3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Danny Zardon: 0-1 CS
2. Orian Nunez: 1-2 CS
CUBS "A" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
1. RF Ezequiel Pagan - runner thrown out 9-5 attempting to advance from 2nd to 3rd after F-9 FO
2. CF Edmond Americaan - batter thrown out 8-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
WEATHER: Mostly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Arizona Phil 41 min 40 sec ago (view)
18-year old SS Luis Verdugo last ten games for AZL Cubs #2 (45 PA): 429/467/881 with four doubles, five HR, and 18 RBI, including three three-hit games and one four-hit game among the ten games.
As I mentioned at the start of the AZL season in June, Verdugo is the Cubs top prospect in the AZL (see my comment in this thread from June 15th).
Arizona Phil 42 min 52 sec ago (view)
Both AZL Cubs #2 and AZL Athletics Gold win (big) in their games Saturday night and Dodgers Mota clinches one of the two remaining playoff slots with a win while Royals and Padres #1 lose.
So it's AZL Cubs #1 vs AZL Cubs #2 at Sloan Park Sunday afternoon (with game-time temperatures 110+), with Benjamin Rodriguez scheduled to pitch for Cubs #1 and Carlos Ocampo scheduled to start for Cubs #2. (Richard Gallardo and Benjamin Rodriguez are the Cubs top two pitching prospects in the AZL, so Cubs #2 will have their hands full).
crunch 1 hour 53 min ago (view)
oscar de la cruz since passing through waivers unclaimed...8 relief appearances
11.2ip 11h 2bb 16k, 2r/er (both earned runs in 1 appearance)
crunch 6 hours 57 min ago (view)
it's kinda crazy to think there's a chance pedro strop won't make the post season roster (yeah, the cubs have to get there first) unless he shows something different the next 5 weeks. it's been hard to watch.
crunch 10 hours 37 min ago (view)
yeah, and evidently they can't pitch either.
now we need a few stupid baserunning mistakes to go with this new look.
crunch 10 hours 47 min ago (view)
cubs can't field or hit anymore.
this is not a good late-season look.
Dolorous Jon Lester 11 hours 16 min ago (view)
What happened to Danny Hultzen this time??
crunch 11 hours 16 min ago (view)
Jackstraw 11 hours 26 min ago (view)
All whites are distinctive. And ugly.
Arizona Phil 12 hours 11 min ago (view)
There should be a number of good players and pitchers available off Outright Assignment Waivers over the next few days as non-contending clubs look to jettison payroll even if they can't get players back. The only problem is that the claiming club assumes 100% of the player's remaining pro-rated salary (albeit only one month's worth, unless the player is signed beyond 2019 and/or has a post-season buy-out).
Arizona Phil 12 hours 55 min ago (view)
BTW, Danny Zardon (signed by the Cubs out of Independent ball during Minor League Camp in March and converted from 3B to catcher at EXST) is now being converted to RHP in the AZL.
Arizona Phil 12 hours 55 min ago (view)
The AZL regular season concludes on Monday and the playoffs start on Tuesday and although AZL Cubs #1 has been eliminated, AZL Cubs #2 is right in the middle of the race to get one of the last two playoff slots.
Arizona Phil 14 hours 30 min ago (view)
Today is the last day of the DSL regular season. Neither DSL Cubs #1 nor DSL Cubs #2 qualified for the DSL playoffs.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
RHP Kelvin Abreu (April 2019 IFA - Venezuela) had his contract voided and he has been released. He spent his entire pro career (four months) on the Restricted List.
Charlie 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
I didn't watch the game, but I see that Lester got knocked around despite a significant headwind from CF. That's a rare feat.
Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
I think it's becoming increasingly likely that the Cubs will not exercise Lester's 2021 $25M option after next season (paying the $10M buy-out instead and direct the remaining $15M elsewhere). The 2021 $25M option automatically vests if Lester throws at least 400 IP over the course of 2019-20, but that isn't going to happen.