Keprielian Throws Three Shutout Innings at Cubs at Riverview
Devin Foyle (RBI double), Matt Cross (RBI single), and Max Schuemann (RBI single) stroked run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run 3rd inning and SP James Kaprielian hurled three innings of shutout ball, leading the Athletics Gold squad to an 8-4 victory over the Cubs "A" team in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Monday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning contest.
Kaprielian was the New York Yankees 1st round draft pick (#16 overall) in 2015 out of UCLA and was traded to the Oakland A's in July 2017 as part of the package for Sonny Gray. This was Kaprielian's first game action since 2016 (he underwent TJS in April 2017 and shoulder surgery in July 2018). His FB velo is way down from where it was three years ago (was 94-97 in 2015-16) and he didn't miss many bats today, but he had good command of his CV and generally threw strikes (3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 2 GIDP, 3/4 GO/AO).
Abraham Rodriguez (reinstated from the Restricted List last week) clubbed a three-run HR onto the south bank of the Loop 202 Freeway and singled for the Cubs in a losing cause.
RHP Erich Uelmen (on Myrtle Beach 7-day IL) made his second Cactus League EXST rehab start for the Cubs and worked one out into the third inning (37 pitches), allowing a run on three hits (all three singles) and a walk.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, RF: 0-2 (F-9, HBP, BB, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-3 (1B, P-3, K, HBP)
3. Ezequiel Pagan, DH #1: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, R)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first two times thru batting order
4. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-4 (4-3 DP, K, K, F-8)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 2-3 (1B, P-3, 1B, R)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
6a. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (5-4-3 DP, BB)
6b. Henderson Perez, C: 0-1 (F-8 SF, F-9, RBI)
7. Luis Diaz, SS: 1-3 (1B, K, E-6, R)
8. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #2: 2-3 (F-7, 1B, HR, R, 3 RBI)
9. Edmond Americaan, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 5-3, SB)
10. Carlos Pacheco, DH #3: 0-3 (F-8, K, 1-3)
11. Albert Hinirio, LF: 0-3 (1-4 FC, K, 4-3)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Erich Uelmen: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 37 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Kohl Franklin: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Alexander Vargas: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 4/2 GO/AO, 47 pitches (30 strikes)
4. Jorge Remon: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Blake Whitney: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 4
1. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (errant back-pick throw to 1st base after RBI single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
3. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. C Henderson Perez: E-2 (overthrow to 3rd base on SB attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
CUBS "A" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSIST:
CF Edmond Americaan - batter thrown out 8-6 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Overcast with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
K Dub 1 hour 42 min ago (view)
PHIL: Sad to hear about Danis Correa. Do you know what his injury is? Any word on Yovanny Cruz's health/availability? As always, thank you for answering our questions.
Arizona Phil 6 hours 21 min ago (view)
AZL Cubs #2 RHSP Willy Cabrera, RHSP Danis Correa, LHRP Riger Fernandez, and LHRP Josh Sawyer to the 60-day Injured List, so they are likely out for year (they won't be eligible to be reinstated until the final week of the AZL season).
crunch 6 hours 27 min ago (view)
...and of course it's eloy that gives the WSox the 9th inning lead.
Charlie 7 hours 41 min ago (view)
Speaking from experience, those can nag.
crunch 8 hours 18 min ago (view)
ham gets 2500 Ks in the top 3rd.
crunch 8 hours 25 min ago (view)
Jordan Bastian @MLBastian
GM Jed Hoyer said Hendricks is dealing with an impingement in his throwing shoulder: "I feel like we got ahead of it. We're not sure how much time he'll miss, but we'll try to take it slow and take the length of the season into account."
crunch 9 hours 48 min ago (view)
schwarber / bryant / rizzo / baez / heyward(CF) / caratini / cargo(RF) / ham / descalso(2nd)
Eric S 11 hours 22 min ago (view)
Kimbrel pitched the 7th inning for the Iowa Cubs today - he threw 8 pitches (6 strikes) to three batters getting a fly out to center, a groundout to third and swinging K. Nice start!
Karl Pagel Blues 12 hours 51 min ago (view)
Thank you, Phil. Have you ever considered doing your own podcast? Your grasp on baseball history is fantastic.
Karl Pagel Blues 12 hours 59 min ago (view)
Thank you, Mike.
Mike Wellman 21 hours 57 min ago (view)
And 71 games in, the C-Cubs & I-Cubs are in a dead heat @ 39-32...
Craig A. 1 day 32 min ago (view)
Thanks very much, Phil.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
CRAIG A: SS Ernie Banks and 2B Gene Baker arrived on the same day in September 1953, although Banks made his MLB game debut three days before Baker.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
i think gene baker was technically the first signed, but ernie banks was the first to suit up and play. baker was injured when ernie made his debut.
JoePepitone 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
He only mentioned his second wife in his autobiography, Mr. Cub. I was surprised to find out from his Wikipedia page that he had been married before Eloyce (wife #2), having read Mr. Cub back in 1971 right after it came out. I guess when you write your autobiography, you get to put in only the parts you want to talk about.
Craig A. 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Banks was the first African- American Cub wasn’t he? Was there a lot of drama with that?