Keprielian Throws Three Shutout Innings at Cubs at Riverview
Devin Foyle (RBI double), Matt Cross (RBI single), and Max Schuemann (RBI single) stroked run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run 3rd inning and SP James Kaprielian hurled three innings of shutout ball, leading the Athletics Gold squad to an 8-4 victory over the Cubs "A" team in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Monday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning contest.
Kaprielian was the New York Yankees 1st round draft pick (#16 overall) in 2015 out of UCLA and was traded to the Oakland A's in July 2017 as part of the package for Sonny Gray. This was Kaprielian's first game action since 2016 (he underwent TJS in April 2017 and shoulder surgery in July 2018). His FB velo is way down from where it was three years ago (was 94-97 in 2015-16) and he didn't miss many bats today, but he had good command of his CV and generally threw strikes (3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 2 GIDP, 3/4 GO/AO).
Abraham Rodriguez (reinstated from the Restricted List last week) clubbed a three-run HR onto the south bank of the Loop 202 Freeway and singled for the Cubs in a losing cause.
RHP Erich Uelmen (on Myrtle Beach 7-day IL) made his second Cactus League EXST rehab start for the Cubs and worked one out into the third inning (37 pitches), allowing a run on three hits (all three singles) and a walk.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, RF: 0-2 (F-9, HBP, BB, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-3 (1B, P-3, K, HBP)
3. Ezequiel Pagan, DH #1: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, R)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first two times thru batting order
4. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-4 (4-3 DP, K, K, F-8)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 2-3 (1B, P-3, 1B, R)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
6a. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (5-4-3 DP, BB)
6b. Henderson Perez, C: 0-1 (F-8 SF, F-9, RBI)
7. Luis Diaz, SS: 1-3 (1B, K, E-6, R)
8. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #2: 2-3 (F-7, 1B, HR, R, 3 RBI)
9. Edmond Americaan, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 5-3, SB)
10. Carlos Pacheco, DH #3: 0-3 (F-8, K, 1-3)
11. Albert Hinirio, LF: 0-3 (1-4 FC, K, 4-3)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Erich Uelmen: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 37 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Kohl Franklin: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Alexander Vargas: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 4/2 GO/AO, 47 pitches (30 strikes)
4. Jorge Remon: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Blake Whitney: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 4
1. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (errant back-pick throw to 1st base after RBI single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
3. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. C Henderson Perez: E-2 (overthrow to 3rd base on SB attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
CUBS "A" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSIST:
CF Edmond Americaan - batter thrown out 8-6 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Overcast with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 6 hours 49 min ago (view)
plus, on road trips he's within limitations of carry on luggage size so he doesn't need a ticket. that adds up over time and that's how you end up signing guys like c.kimbrel.
Eric S 7 hours 16 min ago (view)
Good. He’s been a hell of a lot more productive in relief than some higher salaried guys in the Cubs pen.
QuietMan 8 hours 30 min ago (view)
Tim Collins opted to stay in the organization afterall. Pitched for ICubs today.
Hagsag 11 hours 15 min ago (view)
Barnette that is.
Hagsag 11 hours 15 min ago (view)
Any guess who will be leaving when Kimbrel arrives? It’s got to be Brach unless they drop Barnett’s.
Eric S 11 hours 47 min ago (view)
Nice job by Strop - fastball 94 and slider looking good.
crunch 11 hours 47 min ago (view)
cubs win, brews win, STL plays tonight.
night game vs ATL tomorrow. STL+MIL off day.
btw, the next 3 games vs ATL will be wrigley night games.
Eric S 12 hours 2 min ago (view)
It’s about time the Mets craptastic bullpen showed up for this series
Eric S 12 hours 8 min ago (view)
El Mago with the three run shot to right field!!!
Nice job by Hamels - 7 innning quality start and kept the game close.
Back to back three hit games by JHey also encouraging
crunch 12 hours 12 min ago (view)
baez makes career #100 count. unf.
Eric S 13 hours 46 min ago (view)
Cubs doing a nice job of elevating Alonzo’s player of the week candidacy. Freddie Freeman having a week/month too.
Eric S 13 hours 56 min ago (view)
Who can forget Joe reaching for and pulling an imaginary beard from the mound to signal for Schlitter? It was all good until a 97 mph sinker was slammed over outfield wall. Good times.
Eric S 13 hours 59 min ago (view)
Seems to me the Cubs/Jedstein would lean to acquiring an impact outfield bat vs infielder, all things being equal. A healthy and productive Zobrist would be nice as well.
Eric S 14 hours 8 min ago (view)
Caratini‘s regression to the mean weekend continues. Sigh
Thankfully Hamels comes through with a two out rbi single
Arizona Phil 15 hours 42 min ago (view)
Busy day for ex-Cub pitchers: Mariners call-up Matt Carasiti (ST NRI released by Cubs earlier this month), A's call-up ex-Cub Brian Schlitter (hasn't pitched in MLB since 2015), and Marlins outright ex-Cub Dan Straily (acquired along with Addison Russell and Billy McKinney from OAK in the Samardzija/Hammel trade in 2014, and then traded to HOU with Luis Valbuena for Dexter Fowler in 2015).
Eric S 17 hours 24 min ago (view)
Righty reliever Tony Barnette activated and Rowan Wick optioned to Iowa. Barnette has been pitching well of late in AAA.