Keprielian Throws Three Shutout Innings at Cubs at Riverview
Devin Foyle (RBI double), Matt Cross (RBI single), and Max Schuemann (RBI single) stroked run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run 3rd inning and SP James Kaprielian hurled three innings of shutout ball, leading the Athletics Gold squad to an 8-4 victory over the Cubs "A" team in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Monday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning contest.
Kaprielian was the New York Yankees 1st round draft pick (#16 overall) in 2015 out of UCLA and was traded to the Oakland A's in July 2017 as part of the package for Sonny Gray. This was Kaprielian's first game action since 2016 (he underwent TJS in April 2017 and shoulder surgery in July 2018). His FB velo is way down from where it was three years ago (was 94-97 in 2015-16) and he didn't miss many bats today, but he had good command of his CV and generally threw strikes (3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 2 GIDP, 3/4 GO/AO).
Abraham Rodriguez (reinstated from the Restricted List last week) clubbed a three-run HR onto the south bank of the Loop 202 Freeway and singled for the Cubs in a losing cause.
RHP Erich Uelmen (on Myrtle Beach 7-day IL) made his second Cactus League EXST rehab start for the Cubs and worked one out into the third inning (37 pitches), allowing a run on three hits (all three singles) and a walk.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, RF: 0-2 (F-9, HBP, BB, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-3 (1B, P-3, K, HBP)
3. Ezequiel Pagan, DH #1: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, R)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first two times thru batting order
4. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-4 (4-3 DP, K, K, F-8)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 2-3 (1B, P-3, 1B, R)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
6a. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (5-4-3 DP, BB)
6b. Henderson Perez, C: 0-1 (F-8 SF, F-9, RBI)
7. Luis Diaz, SS: 1-3 (1B, K, E-6, R)
8. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #2: 2-3 (F-7, 1B, HR, R, 3 RBI)
9. Edmond Americaan, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 5-3, SB)
10. Carlos Pacheco, DH #3: 0-3 (F-8, K, 1-3)
11. Albert Hinirio, LF: 0-3 (1-4 FC, K, 4-3)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Erich Uelmen: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 37 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Kohl Franklin: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Alexander Vargas: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 4/2 GO/AO, 47 pitches (30 strikes)
4. Jorge Remon: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Blake Whitney: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 4
1. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (errant back-pick throw to 1st base after RBI single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
3. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. C Henderson Perez: E-2 (overthrow to 3rd base on SB attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
CUBS "A" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSIST:
CF Edmond Americaan - batter thrown out 8-6 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Overcast with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Eric S 14 hours 10 min ago (view)
Woo Hoo!!! Cubs win a crazy one! KB with another late inning, game winning homer - good stuff!
crunch 14 hours 13 min ago (view)
schwarb set the cubs team record for fastest to 100 by a cub a bit less than a week ago. bryant would have won a couple MVP awards in a row the past couple years.
Eric S 14 hours 15 min ago (view)
That was a good send by the butterman - great throw by Yaz Jr
Try as he might, Eddie Vedder can’t find da butterman
Thanks. I’ll show myself out now
Eric S 14 hours 20 min ago (view)
200th home run of the season by KB probably would have set some kind of record too
crunch 14 hours 22 min ago (view)
the inital graphic was KB #200, but i was like...hold on...
it was technically true in the loosest sense of the phrase.
Eric S 14 hours 28 min ago (view)
That would have been pretty cool if it had been KB’s 200th home run in less than five full seasons!
crunch 14 hours 30 min ago (view)
this game, though...wow...this game.
200th team homer of the season.
Eric S 14 hours 32 min ago (view)
Yes. Just like that
Eric S 14 hours 57 min ago (view)
Funny (ha ha) to remember that at one point in this game Yu had retired 12 straight Giants
crunch 14 hours 57 min ago (view)
"i am required to say it's a see-saw battle." - len
"it's going to come down to the kicking game." - jd
Eric S 14 hours 59 min ago (view)
Oof. The lead off walk - horrible. That second hit allowed (which tied the game) on the ankle high fastball - tuff luck.
crunch 15 hours 5 min ago (view)
oh yeah...so cubs win 21-22 on a walk off bote grand slam...gotcha.
Eric S 15 hours 13 min ago (view)
Sounds about right. Howevuh ... Home Game!
crunch 15 hours 18 min ago (view)
d.holland still sucks.
cubs tied this one out of sheer suck going on both sides of this game. i'm waiting for the cubs to lose this one 18-17 in a few hours.
Eric S 15 hours 27 min ago (view)
Cubs need their three-hole hitter to start stepping up at the plate and do something crazy like driving in the two-hole hitter
Eric S 15 hours 31 min ago (view)
Somebody wake up Grandpa Joe and remind him that having Holland face righties i— any righty — is a no-no