Alzolay Goes Four as Cubs & Rockies Draw in Extras
Brandon Vicens singled in the 3rd, walked and scored on a Rafael Mejia RBI double in the 7th, and drilled a game-tying two-run double in the 8th, Fabian Pertuz singled twice and scored a run, and Marcus Mastrobuoni belted a solo HR, walked twice, scored two runs, and threw out two baserunners attempting to steal and back-picked another one off 1st base for the Cubs, and Eddy Diaz singled and tripled and SP Anderson Amarista hurled four innings of shutout ball for the Rockies, as the two teams played to a ten-inning 5-5 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Tuesday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
Adbert Alzolay (on AAA Iowa 7-day IL - lat strain) got the start for the Cubs and worked four innings (59 pitches). He allowed three runs on five hits (four singles and a Shael Mendoza solo HR), issued one walk, uncorked a WP, and committed two balks. He also struck out eight (six swinging).
Alzolay grew stronger as he worked deeper into the game. After allowing five of the first eight men he faced to reach base, he dialed it up a notch and retired eight of the last nine (seven by strikeout).
Cubs pitchers struck out 17 Rockies during the course of the game, and Chi-Feng Lee pitched an "immaculate" top of the 10th (he struck out the side on nine pitches).
The Cubs played only one Cactus League EXST game today, so the squad that took on the Rockies consisted of elements of both the "A" team and the "B" team.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Rochest Cruz, 2B: 1-5 (K, 1B, 4-3, 1-3, L-3)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 1-4 (1B, P-6, K, 5-3)
2b. Kevin Moreno, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3a. Henderson Perez, DH #2: 0-3 (L-6, 5-3, BB, 4-3)
3b. Richard Nunez, PH: 1-1 (1B, PO)
4. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 1-2 (4-3, HR, BB, BB, 2 R, RBI)
5. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K, BB, R)
6. Fabian Pertuz, SS: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, P-6, 1B, R)
7. Brandon Vicens, RF: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, BB, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-4 (F-7, 2B, 5-3, P-6, RBI)
9. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-4 (F-7, E-4, 2B, F-9, RBI, SB)
10. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: 1-4 (1B, K, K, K)
1. Adbert Alzolay: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 8 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2 BALK, 2/1 GO/AO, 59 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Junichi Tazawa: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
3. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (23 strikes)
4. Joel Machado: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
5. Alfredo Colorado: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (13 strikes)
6. Chi-Feng Lee: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 9 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (overthrow on attempted back-pick at 3B after 5-3 GO allowed runner to score)
2. 2B Rochest Cruz: E-4 (missed catch on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 2-5 CS, 1 PO
Kevin Moreno - thrown out 9-6 attempting to score from 2nd base on single to RF
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & a bit breezy after morning rain with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 8 min 43 sec ago (view)
ham's shoulder fatigue is evidently still a factor and there's no timetable for his return. he's not even throwing on the side.
those last 3 cruddy starts might be the last we've seen of him in a cubs uniform.
crunch 21 min 32 sec ago (view)
can we quit having schwarber steal bases?
...especially against f'n y.molina...
Arizona Phil 34 min 1 sec ago (view)
Cubs pinch-hitters (so far) in 2019 (top ten sorted by PA):
Charlie 2 hours 2 min ago (view)
Wind howling out at the start of game 3, and the Cards have a pretty good groundball pitcher on the mound whom the Cubs have not seen this season. Get psyched.
Charlie 2 hours 3 min ago (view)
Four double plays, too. Ugh.
Jackstraw 3 hours 45 min ago (view)
I just think Kemp has a Sharpie, and access to Joe's magic pocket card.
"Oh look, Kemp is hitting .438 in this situation. TK, grab a bat".
erich081 7 hours 55 sec ago (view)
Justin Grimm must have forwarded his Maddon blackmail material to Tony Kemp.
crunch 14 hours 20 min ago (view)
baseball is fun.
Jackstraw 16 hours 16 min ago (view)
Cubs were 1 for 9 with RISP.
Neither of the Cards who scored had to take the bat off of their shoulder.
With the game on the line, Joe sends up Tony Kemp.
2019 season in microcosm.
crunch 16 hours 20 min ago (view)
p.alonso (NYM) gets #50...not bad for a rookie.
also, MIL wins because of course why not.
cubs are 2 games behind in the WC standings for the 2nd slot...5 games behind STL in the central.
crunch 17 hours 54 min ago (view)
i'll be over here watching Corner Gas DVDs waiting for 2020.
Charlie 21 hours 9 min ago (view)
Welp. I guess I will continue to pay attention to the Wild Card race? Dropping the Michael Wacha game is bad.
crunch 21 hours 49 min ago (view)
Dolorous Jon Lester 22 hours 12 min ago (view)
Another game, another set of golden opportunities to add on to a lead wasted.
Eric S 22 hours 16 min ago (view)
And nine hits ... with one run to show for it
crunch 23 hours 22 min ago (view)
6 innings, 5 pitchers used...and the cubs are down by 1 to show for it.