Cubs Lay Lumber on D'backs at Riverview
Fernando Kelli collected three singles and a walk, stole a base, scored two runs, and drove-in another, Gioskar Amaya drilled an RBI double and a single, stole a base, and scored three runs, Wladimir Galindo blasted a three-run HR, Marcus Mastrobuoni laced an RBI double, singled and scored, and walked, Abraham Rodriguez doubled and scored and drew a bases-loaded walk to force-in a run, Dalton Hurd singled twice, scored two runs, and knocked-in another, and Rochest Cruz rifled an RBI single and a triple and scored a run, leading the Cubs to a 12-3 drubbing of the Diamondbacks in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Thursday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The Cubs bashed-out 16 hits (ten singles, four doubles, a triple, and a HR) and drew five walks to propel the high-octane offense that was on display in the game.
The Cubs played only one Cactus League EXST game today, so the squad that hosted the D'backs consisted of elements of both the Cubs "A" team and the Cubs "B" team.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 3-4 (6-3, 1B, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 3B: 2-5 (6-3, 2B, E-6, 1B, K, 3 R, RBI, SB)
3. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, K, BB, HR, R, 3 RBI)
4. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 2-3 (1B, 2B, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
5. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (2B, P-6, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
6. Dalton Hurd, RF: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, F-8, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, DH #2: 0-2 (E-6, F-7, R, RBI)
7b. Richard Nunez, PH-DH: 1-2 (5-3, 2B, RBI)
8. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 1-3 (6-3, BB, 1B, L-9)
9. Herson Perez, 2B: 1-4 (1B, F-7, 5-3, K, RBI)
10. Rochest Cruz, SS: 2-4 (1B, P-3, 3B, 4-3, R, RBI)
11. Widimer Joaquin, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped 3rd & 4th times thru batting order
1. Eduarniel Nunez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 41 pitches (26 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/4 GO/AO, 33 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Manuel Espinoza: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Didier Vargas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Herson Perez: E-4 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 0-1 CS, 1 PO, 1 PB
1. Rochest Cruz - thrown out 7-5-4 attempting to take extra base on RBI single
2. Carlos Pacheco - thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
First.Pitch.120 43 min 3 sec ago (view)
I second & nominate Crunch as winner of the internet....
Charlie 2 hours 7 min ago (view)
I dub this canon.
Eric S 11 hours 23 min ago (view)
Good deal - much better ballpark experience than at the Ted. Atlanta fans are buying in and showing up.
Eric S 11 hours 40 min ago (view)
It’s a shame that they had to burn Cishek with a five run lead. I guess they could have used Brach or Caratini. Probably not enough time to warm up Caratini. Wouldn’t want to risk blowing the lead with Brach.
crunch 11 hours 54 min ago (view)
gonna be in ATL over the 4th and catching the young braves club in person. i really don't like going to that park (hey, who wants 3-4 hours of the "tommy hawk chawp"?), but i wanna see this collection of kids.
Eric S 11 hours 54 min ago (view)
Kyle Ryan playing like a man who wants to keep his big league roster spot - well done!!
crunch 11 hours 56 min ago (view)
if javy has the ball you gotta play like you're on a basketball court. until the play is dead, no matter what your view is, that ball could be coming at you at any time from any angle.
bote also goofed earlier in the season playing 3rd during a lester start by not knowing how extreme one needs to cover for him. yeah, technically it should be lester's play, but realistically the 3rd baseman has more range to cover with lester on the mound.
Eric S 11 hours 58 min ago (view)
Barnette’s 88-91 mph fastball really is, uh, not very special.
Eric S 11 hours 59 min ago (view)
But for Flowers and the pitchers spot, the Braves lineup is relentless. When McCann plays, the only hole is the pitchers spot. Tough club.
crunch 12 hours 4 min ago (view)
welcome to the cubs barnette.
6 pitches to his 1st batter, solo HR.
you're gonna fit in just fine.
Eric S 12 hours 20 min ago (view)
Thanks Phil. What kind of prospect(s) do you think it would take to pick up Melky?
Eric S 12 hours 31 min ago (view)
Not the first time Bote has frozen on a catchable ball from Javy at second ... and leads to two unearned runs. Damn. Love Bote, but when you’re playing with Javy, you better expect the unexpected
crunch 12 hours 51 min ago (view)
also, wow at that 10 mile long leash teheran got to totally suck.
Eric S 12 hours 56 min ago (view)
Pro tip to the Cubs: score a ton of runs, then score a ton more. These Braves specialize in pulverizing and bludgeoning teams into oblivion, particularly after the six inning.
Eric S 13 hours 3 min ago (view)
Walnuts suck. Just sayin’
Arizona Phil 13 hours 11 min ago (view)
The Cubs have officially signed three more 2019 draft picks: RHP Zach Bryant (15th round - Jacksonville), RHP Johzan Oquendo (16th round - Leadership Christian Academy - Guaynabo, PR), and RHP Shane Combs (31st round - Notre Dame).
So the Cubs have now signed 24 of their 40 draft picks.