Cubs Lay Lumber on D'backs at Riverview
Fernando Kelli collected three singles and a walk, stole a base, scored two runs, and drove-in another, Gioskar Amaya drilled an RBI double and a single, stole a base, and scored three runs, Wladimir Galindo blasted a three-run HR, Marcus Mastrobuoni laced an RBI double, singled and scored, and walked, Abraham Rodriguez doubled and scored and drew a bases-loaded walk to force-in a run, Dalton Hurd singled twice, scored two runs, and knocked-in another, and Rochest Cruz rifled an RBI single and a triple and scored a run, leading the Cubs to a 12-3 drubbing of the Diamondbacks in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Thursday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The Cubs bashed-out 16 hits (ten singles, four doubles, a triple, and a HR) and drew five walks to propel the high-octane offense that was on display in the game.
The Cubs played only one Cactus League EXST game today, so the squad that hosted the D'backs consisted of elements of both the Cubs "A" team and the Cubs "B" team.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 3-4 (6-3, 1B, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 3B: 2-5 (6-3, 2B, E-6, 1B, K, 3 R, RBI, SB)
3. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, K, BB, HR, R, 3 RBI)
4. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 2-3 (1B, 2B, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
5. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (2B, P-6, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
6. Dalton Hurd, RF: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, F-8, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, DH #2: 0-2 (E-6, F-7, R, RBI)
7b. Richard Nunez, PH-DH: 1-2 (5-3, 2B, RBI)
8. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 1-3 (6-3, BB, 1B, L-9)
9. Herson Perez, 2B: 1-4 (1B, F-7, 5-3, K, RBI)
10. Rochest Cruz, SS: 2-4 (1B, P-3, 3B, 4-3, R, RBI)
11. Widimer Joaquin, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped 3rd & 4th times thru batting order
1. Eduarniel Nunez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 41 pitches (26 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/4 GO/AO, 33 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Manuel Espinoza: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Didier Vargas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Herson Perez: E-4 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 0-1 CS, 1 PO, 1 PB
1. Rochest Cruz - thrown out 7-5-4 attempting to take extra base on RBI single
2. Carlos Pacheco - thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Arizona Phil 2 hours 15 min ago (view)
AZL Cubs #2 RHSP Willy Cabrera, RHSP Danis Correa, LHRP Riger Fernandez, and LHRP Josh Sawyer to the 60-day Injured List, so they are likely out for year (they won't be eligible to be reinstated until the final week of the AZL season).
crunch 2 hours 21 min ago (view)
...and of course it's eloy that gives the WSox the 9th inning lead.
Charlie 3 hours 34 min ago (view)
Speaking from experience, those can nag.
crunch 4 hours 12 min ago (view)
ham gets 2500 Ks in the top 3rd.
crunch 4 hours 19 min ago (view)
Jordan Bastian @MLBastian
GM Jed Hoyer said Hendricks is dealing with an impingement in his throwing shoulder: "I feel like we got ahead of it. We're not sure how much time he'll miss, but we'll try to take it slow and take the length of the season into account."
crunch 5 hours 42 min ago (view)
schwarber / bryant / rizzo / baez / heyward(CF) / caratini / cargo(RF) / ham / descalso(2nd)
Eric S 7 hours 16 min ago (view)
Kimbrel pitched the 7th inning for the Iowa Cubs today - he threw 8 pitches (6 strikes) to three batters getting a fly out to center, a groundout to third and swinging K. Nice start!
Karl Pagel Blues 8 hours 45 min ago (view)
Thank you, Phil. Have you ever considered doing your own podcast? Your grasp on baseball history is fantastic.
Karl Pagel Blues 8 hours 52 min ago (view)
Thank you, Mike.
Mike Wellman 17 hours 51 min ago (view)
And 71 games in, the C-Cubs & I-Cubs are in a dead heat @ 39-32...
Craig A. 20 hours 26 min ago (view)
Thanks very much, Phil.
Arizona Phil 22 hours 34 min ago (view)
CRAIG A: SS Ernie Banks and 2B Gene Baker arrived on the same day in September 1953, although Banks made his MLB game debut three days before Baker.
crunch 1 day 37 min ago (view)
i think gene baker was technically the first signed, but ernie banks was the first to suit up and play. baker was injured when ernie made his debut.
JoePepitone 1 day 41 min ago (view)
He only mentioned his second wife in his autobiography, Mr. Cub. I was surprised to find out from his Wikipedia page that he had been married before Eloyce (wife #2), having read Mr. Cub back in 1971 right after it came out. I guess when you write your autobiography, you get to put in only the parts you want to talk about.
Craig A. 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Banks was the first African- American Cub wasn’t he? Was there a lot of drama with that?
BobbyD 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
He was a hero to me growing up, and now maybe not so much. Sad and probably (?) better how things have changed. I'm sure in the 60s whatever Addison did would have never bubbled up to us fans... But thanks for the review-so-far!