Cubs Lay Lumber on D'backs at Riverview
Fernando Kelli collected three singles and a walk, stole a base, scored two runs, and drove-in another, Gioskar Amaya drilled an RBI double and a single, stole a base, and scored three runs, Wladimir Galindo blasted a three-run HR, Marcus Mastrobuoni laced an RBI double, singled and scored, and walked, Abraham Rodriguez doubled and scored and drew a bases-loaded walk to force-in a run, Dalton Hurd singled twice, scored two runs, and knocked-in another, and Rochest Cruz rifled an RBI single and a triple and scored a run, leading the Cubs to a 12-3 drubbing of the Diamondbacks in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Thursday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The Cubs bashed-out 16 hits (ten singles, four doubles, a triple, and a HR) and drew five walks to propel the high-octane offense that was on display in the game.
The Cubs played only one Cactus League EXST game today, so the squad that hosted the D'backs consisted of elements of both the Cubs "A" team and the Cubs "B" team.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 3-4 (6-3, 1B, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 3B: 2-5 (6-3, 2B, E-6, 1B, K, 3 R, RBI, SB)
3. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, K, BB, HR, R, 3 RBI)
4. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 2-3 (1B, 2B, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
5. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (2B, P-6, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
6. Dalton Hurd, RF: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, F-8, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, DH #2: 0-2 (E-6, F-7, R, RBI)
7b. Richard Nunez, PH-DH: 1-2 (5-3, 2B, RBI)
8. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 1-3 (6-3, BB, 1B, L-9)
9. Herson Perez, 2B: 1-4 (1B, F-7, 5-3, K, RBI)
10. Rochest Cruz, SS: 2-4 (1B, P-3, 3B, 4-3, R, RBI)
11. Widimer Joaquin, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped 3rd & 4th times thru batting order
1. Eduarniel Nunez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 41 pitches (26 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/4 GO/AO, 33 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Manuel Espinoza: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Didier Vargas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Herson Perez: E-4 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 0-1 CS, 1 PO, 1 PB
1. Rochest Cruz - thrown out 7-5-4 attempting to take extra base on RBI single
2. Carlos Pacheco - thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Charlie 8 min 52 sec ago (view)
Dang, I miss Javy and Rizz.
Mike Wellman 35 min 19 sec ago (view)
The Hey, Hoe, Hen alignment...
crunch 58 min 45 sec ago (view)
zobrist / cast / bryant / schwarb / contreras / caratini / heyward / hoe / hendricks
this lineup seems to be a popular thing.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 33 min ago (view)
Lots of games where they failed to add on.
Lots of games Strop has single handedly blown, too.
Charlie 5 hours 4 min ago (view)
There are so many candidates. The early season losing streak comes painfully to mind.
Charlie 5 hours 4 min ago (view)
JHey's swing looks like it slipped into groundout mode. That Nico lineout was heartbreaking. :(
Charlie 5 hours 5 min ago (view)
Threw Vanmeter a curve and changeup that both looked great on TV, though Vanmeter didn't offer.
Mike Wellman 6 hours 49 min ago (view)
First thing I'll point to, depending on the final order of finish, is the fact that, for the second year in a row we took the lead off of Hader in the 8th inning of a key late-season game @ Milwaukee & couldn't keep it. The second thing will be the game we led 5-0 after 7 & managed to lose. Nats next face Marlins. Cards come to town licking their chops/beaks to finish us off...
Dolorous Jon Lester 9 hours 56 min ago (view)
They’re toast. Can’t finish games, can’t finish series, and it looks very much like they won’t finish this season.
Hagsag 11 hours 12 min ago (view)
The Cubbies are in a tough situation. If they make the playoffs, they will have earned it!. Enjoy the ride folks.
Eric S 17 hours 39 min ago (view)
Reds win season series 11-8 - possibly the first thing you point to should the Cubs miss the post season
Eric S 17 hours 46 min ago (view)
Long looking swing for JHey ... and Nico - oof
Eric S 17 hours 47 min ago (view)
Heard Len say Descalso’s name and about had a heart attack. Then heard him say “pinch runner” and settled down a bit
Charlie 17 hours 51 min ago (view)
Contreras's receiving didn't do Norwood any favors in that Vanmeter at-bat. And Norwood needed some favors.
Eric S 17 hours 56 min ago (view)
Gotta do better than three hits in nine innings in a start by Mahle - this one is on the bats
crunch 18 hours 1 min ago (view)
4th pitcher of the inning coming in...neat