A Trio of Triples and a Tater Help Cubs Upend D'backs
Fabian Pertuz ripped a triple and scored on a Jonathan Soto sacrifice fly to put the Cubs on the board in the bottom of the 2nd, D. J. Wilson smacked an RBI triple in the 3rd, Rafael Mejia belted a two-run triple in the 5th, and Brennen Davis blasted a solo HR leading off the bottom of the 7th, helping the Cubs "B" team rally from an early 3-0 deficit to overtake the Diamondbacks 5-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Monday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
Prior to the game on Field #5, RHP Keegan Thompson (on AA Tennessee 7-day IL since April 11th) threw "live" BP on Field #6.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, K, BB, RBI)
2. Brennen Davis, RF: 1-4 (K, F-7, HR, L-8, R, RBI)
3. Pedro Martinez, 2B: 0-3 (F-9, BB, K, K)
4. Fabian Pertuz, 3B: 1-3 (3B, K, BB, P-4, R, CS)
5. Jonathan Soto, C-DH: 0-1 (F-7 SF, 6-4-3 DP, BB, RBI)
6. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-2 (F-9, BB, F-9, R)
7. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (F-7, 1B, 4-3, R)
8. Rafael Mejia, 1-3 (K, 3B, 5-3, 2 RBI)
9. Brandon Vicens, LF: 0-1 (BB, P-4 DP, BB, R)
10. Raymond Pena, DH-C: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-8, SB)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Luis Ramos: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 4/0 GO/AO, 55 pitches (32 strikes)
2. Luis Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Pablo Ochoa: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Manuel Heredia: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Chris Allen: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 18 pitches (10 strikes)
6. Jorge Remon: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 2
1. C Jonathan Soto: E-2 (overthrow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. P Luis Ramos: E-1 (overthrow to 1st base on pick-off attempt allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jonathan Soto: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 37 min ago (view)
Down three in WC with 6 to play, if the answer isn’t “everyone” you’re doing it wrong.
Hagsag 5 hours 18 min ago (view)
Do you know who was available to pitch in relief?
crunch 6 hours 7 min ago (view)
cubs lose their 6th in a row, 5 in a row by 1 run.
MIL won and has a 4 game lead for the 2nd WC slot.
xrays negative on bryant's ankle.
Charlie 6 hours 14 min ago (view)
I liked the idea if not the result.
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 25 min ago (view)
Another Joe Maddon baffling decision. I wonder if Wittenmyer will say it was Theos fault.
Edit: to stem the tide, he goes with Pedro Strop. Gotta give Pedro the chance to work his way back into postseason favor!
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 28 min ago (view)
Even if we allow Hendricks to be called the ace, Lester is a 4. The others are 5s. That’s not a rotation that leads anyone to the postseason.
crunch 6 hours 31 min ago (view)
...and the cardinals have the lead.
crunch 6 hours 36 min ago (view)
why is darvish still pitching...
crunch 6 hours 38 min ago (view)
you'd assume they have to bring in an ace of some sorts because none of those 6 are any better than a 2-3 slot rotation type as we know them now.
well, to be fair hendricks is an ace on paper, but even if he keeps doing what he's doing for another decade i dunno if i would ever feel comfortable calling the dude throwing 86mph an ace. he's earned ace status, though. meh, semantics...and prejustice against soft tossers...
Dolorous Jon Lester 7 hours 1 min ago (view)
We’d be in deep, deep trouble if that’s the starting 5 next March. I’d think only one of those 3 start the year in the rotation. Trades or maybe FA signings will fill out rotation.
crunch 7 hours 1 min ago (view)
that would make the offseason interesting if he did.
no ham, no darvish, lester pitching like a middle/end rotation guy...
Q and hendricks locked in with lester...graveman + a.mills + chatwood could compete to slot in, but it's highly unlikely they're the full answer for both slots...
Dolorous Jon Lester 7 hours 40 min ago (view)
Anybody else getting the feeling Yu might opt out?
Words I’d never thought I’d say. I’m even more surprised that I’d rather he not opt out!
crunch 8 hours 20 min ago (view)
...and k.bryant screws his leg/knee/ankle reaching trying to beat out a single...which he didn't.
he's being helped off the field. neat.
i.happ playing 3rd because whatever.
crunch 8 hours 55 min ago (view)
cards have caught one hell of a case of cubbery in the bottom 1st.
3 miscues, 1 cubs run.
Charlie 10 hours 23 min ago (view)
What a millstone Yelich must have been!
Dolorous Jon Lester 15 hours 11 min ago (view)
I think he made a few good points but was misguided in laying next to no blame on Maddon. He’s made many questionable decisions and plenty of those decisions have cost the team games.
Gordo was correct in laying blame on ownership. They hamstrung the front office. I have a hard time believing all they would have added was Descalso and Brach if they could have. Every time they had more money become available they added.