Giant Orange No Match for Cubs at Riverview
D. J. Wilson belted a two-run triple, walked twice, and scored a run, Luis Verdugo drilled two RBI singles, Carlos Morfa smacked a solo HR and singled, and SP Erich Uelmen hurled four innings of one-run ball, leading the Cubs "B" team to an 8-3 victory over the Giants Orange squad in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Friday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (3-U, BB, BB, 3B, R, 2 RBI)
2. Luis Verdugo, SS: 2-4 (L-4, 3-U, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Brennen Davis, RF: 0-3 (1-3, K, P-4, BB)
4a. Jonathan Soto, C: 1-4 (L-8, 2B, 6-3, K)
4b. Caleb Knight, C: NO AB
5. Pedro Martinez, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, K, BB, K, R)
6. Fabian Pertuz, 2B: 1-3 (BB, P-4, 1B, P-3, R)
7. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, F-9, K)
8. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, BB, F-7, 2 R)
9a. Carlos Morfa, LF: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI)
9b. Jose Gutierrez, LF: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
10. Yovanny Cuevas, DH #2: 1-4 (P-3, 1B, L-7, 5-3, R, RBI)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Erich Uelmen: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/AO, 70 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Raidel Orta: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Pablo Ochoa: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Maikel Aguiar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 3
1. C Jonathan Soto: E-2 (overthrow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Fabian Pertuz: E-4 (missed catch on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jonathan Soto: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Caleb Knight: 1-1 CS
CUBS "B TEAM BASERUNNING:
Carlos Morfa - thrown out 7-5-4 attempting to advance to 2nd base after RBI single
NOTE: Morfa injured his left ankle sliding into 2nd base and had to be helped off the field
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Arizona Phil 2 min 57 sec ago (view)
Cubs pinch-hitters (so far) in 2019 (top ten sorted by PA):
Charlie 1 hour 26 min ago (view)
Wind howling out at the start of game 3, and the Cards have a pretty good groundball pitcher on the mound whom the Cubs have not seen this season. Get psyched.
Charlie 1 hour 26 min ago (view)
Four double plays, too. Ugh.
Jackstraw 3 hours 9 min ago (view)
I just think Kemp has a Sharpie, and access to Joe's magic pocket card.
"Oh look, Kemp is hitting .438 in this situation. TK, grab a bat".
erich081 6 hours 24 min ago (view)
Justin Grimm must have forwarded his Maddon blackmail material to Tony Kemp.
crunch 13 hours 44 min ago (view)
baseball is fun.
Jackstraw 15 hours 39 min ago (view)
Cubs were 1 for 9 with RISP.
Neither of the Cards who scored had to take the bat off of their shoulder.
With the game on the line, Joe sends up Tony Kemp.
2019 season in microcosm.
crunch 15 hours 43 min ago (view)
p.alonso (NYM) gets #50...not bad for a rookie.
also, MIL wins because of course why not.
cubs are 2 games behind in the WC standings for the 2nd slot...5 games behind STL in the central.
crunch 17 hours 17 min ago (view)
i'll be over here watching Corner Gas DVDs waiting for 2020.
Charlie 20 hours 32 min ago (view)
Welp. I guess I will continue to pay attention to the Wild Card race? Dropping the Michael Wacha game is bad.
crunch 21 hours 13 min ago (view)
Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 36 min ago (view)
Another game, another set of golden opportunities to add on to a lead wasted.
Eric S 21 hours 39 min ago (view)
And nine hits ... with one run to show for it
crunch 22 hours 45 min ago (view)
6 innings, 5 pitchers used...and the cubs are down by 1 to show for it.
Dolorous Jon Lester 23 hours 23 min ago (view)
I hate Tommy Edman, and those of his ilk. The pissbirds are masters of getting a few good years out of middling prospect types like him. DeJong, Jon Jay, Matt Adams, Tommy Pham, Allen Craig, Matt Carpenter... the list goes on and on.
Arizona Phil 1 day 46 min ago (view)
Trades involving players on minor league reserve lists are prohibited beginning at 12 PM (Eastern) on the 7th day prior to the originally-scheduled conclusion of the MLB regular season through the last day of the MLB regular season (including a day in which a Game #163 and Game #164 tie-breaker game is played or a day in which a re-scheduled game is played after the originally-scheduled conclusion of the MLB regular season).