Barnette Throws in EXST Intrasquad Game at Riverview
Danny Zardon and Marcus Mastrobuoni walloped back-to-back solo HR over the LF fence in the bottom of the 1st inning, Luis Diaz tripled, singled, and scored a run, and Herson Perez singled, stole a base. scored a run, and drove-in another with a sacrfice fly for the "A" team, and Widimer Joaquin ripped an RBI double, walked twice, stole a base, and scored two runs, and Raymond Pena (RBI double) and Richard Nunez (RBI single) drilled run-scoring hits to cap a four run 3rd inning for the "B" team, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called after six innings of play with the score tied 5-5.
RHRP Tony Barnette (on Cubs MLB 10-day IL - right shoulder inflammation) started the game for the "A" team and threw 14 pitches (8 strikes), recorded four outs (2/2 GO/AO), and allowed a walk before being relieved after he reached his pre-planned pitch limit.
RHSP Erick Leal got the start for the "B" team and was struck on the left leg just below the knee with a high-velocity line-drive off the bat of Luis Diaz in the bottom of the 1st inning and had to be carried off the field. Leal surrendered the back-to-back homers to Zardon and Mastrobuoni just prior to getting hit by the Diaz liner, so needless-to-say it wasn't exactly the best of outings for the right-hander.
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Raymond Pena, C: 1-3 (L-4, 2B, K, R, RBI)
2. Richard Nunez, 1B: 1-2 (F-9, 1B, BB, 2 RBI, CS)
3. Ricardo Verenzuela,CF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K)
4. Caleb Knight, DH #2: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, F-7)
5. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-3 (4-3, 3-6-3 DP, F-7)
6. Ervis Marchan, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, F-9, R, SB)
7. Widimer Joaquin, SS: 1-1 (2B, BB, BB, 2 R, RBI, SB)
8. Rochest Cruz, 3B: 0-1 (F-7, F-7 SF, BB, RBI)
9. Kevin Moreno, LF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, P-4, R)
10. Jose Gutierrez, DH #2: 0-2 (L-5, F-9)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first time thru batting order
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Orian Nunez, C: 0-3 (K, 4-3, F-8)
2. Danny Zardon, 1B: 1-3 (HR, 6-3, K, R, 2 RBI)
3. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH #1: 2-3 (HR, 3-U, 1B, R, RBI)
4. Luis Diaz, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 3B, F-9, R)
5. Ezequiel Pagan, CF: 0-2 (4-3 DP, K)
6. Herson Perez, 2B: 1-1 (1B, L-9 SF, R, RBI, SB)
7. Carlos Pacheco: RF: 1-3 (1B, K, RBI)
8. Oswaldo Pina, SS: 0-2 (L-8 DP, F-7)
9. Albert Hinirio, LF: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Henderson Perez, DH #2: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Erick Leal: 0.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 HR, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Niels Stone: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 4/3 GO/AO, 47 pitches (29 strikes)
3. Chris Allen: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (21 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Tony Barnette: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 3.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/4 GO/AO, 55 pitches (31 strikes)
3. Fauris Guerrero: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 40 pitches (19 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: NONE
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: NONE
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Raymond Pena: 0-1 CS
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Orian Nunez: 1-3 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 42 min ago (view)
That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.
crunch 14 hours 48 min ago (view)
...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.
...and he closes it out with a K. neat.
this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.
crunch 14 hours 55 min ago (view)
strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.
homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.
crunch 15 hours 3 min ago (view)
welcome back kimbrel.
1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.
crunch 15 hours 34 min ago (view)
one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.
crunch 16 hours 30 min ago (view)
woo, a good cubs away game.
crunch 18 hours 40 min ago (view)
heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / caratini / kemp(2nd) / Q
crunch 20 hours 2 min ago (view)
so stoked for the williamsport game.
the increasing amount of off-site games is a bit concerning (middle of nowhere Field of Dreams field, really?), but I love this one. it's played out great so far and giving the kids playing in the LL series some primo seats (hope this continues) is a great touch.
Arizona Phil 21 hours 23 min ago (view)
Craig Kimbrel reinstated from IL, Duane Underwood Jr optioned to Iowa, Mark Zagunis recalled as the "26th man" for tonight's game (special travel required to get to Williamsport so MLB Comissioner permits 26th man for both clubs).
crunch 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
Charlie 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Lester pitched 35 innings today.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.