Giant Orange No Match for Cubs at Riverview
D. J. Wilson belted a two-run triple, walked twice, and scored a run, Luis Verdugo drilled two RBI singles, Carlos Morfa smacked a solo HR and singled, and SP Erich Uelmen hurled four innings of one-run ball, leading the Cubs "B" team to an 8-3 victory over the Giants Orange squad in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Friday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (3-U, BB, BB, 3B, R, 2 RBI)
2. Luis Verdugo, SS: 2-4 (L-4, 3-U, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Brennen Davis, RF: 0-3 (1-3, K, P-4, BB)
4a. Jonathan Soto, C: 1-4 (L-8, 2B, 6-3, K)
4b. Caleb Knight, C: NO AB
5. Pedro Martinez, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, K, BB, K, R)
6. Fabian Pertuz, 2B: 1-3 (BB, P-4, 1B, P-3, R)
7. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, F-9, K)
8. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, BB, F-7, 2 R)
9a. Carlos Morfa, LF: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI)
9b. Jose Gutierrez, LF: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
10. Yovanny Cuevas, DH #2: 1-4 (P-3, 1B, L-7, 5-3, R, RBI)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Erich Uelmen: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/AO, 70 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Raidel Orta: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Pablo Ochoa: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Maikel Aguiar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 3
1. C Jonathan Soto: E-2 (overthrow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Fabian Pertuz: E-4 (missed catch on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jonathan Soto: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Caleb Knight: 1-1 CS
CUBS "B TEAM BASERUNNING:
Carlos Morfa - thrown out 7-5-4 attempting to advance to 2nd base after RBI single
NOTE: Morfa injured his left ankle sliding into 2nd base and had to be helped off the field
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
K Dub 1 hour 35 min ago (view)
PHIL: Sad to hear about Danis Correa. Do you know what his injury is? Any word on Yovanny Cruz's health/availability? As always, thank you for answering our questions.
Arizona Phil 6 hours 15 min ago (view)
AZL Cubs #2 RHSP Willy Cabrera, RHSP Danis Correa, LHRP Riger Fernandez, and LHRP Josh Sawyer to the 60-day Injured List, so they are likely out for year (they won't be eligible to be reinstated until the final week of the AZL season).
crunch 6 hours 21 min ago (view)
...and of course it's eloy that gives the WSox the 9th inning lead.
Charlie 7 hours 34 min ago (view)
Speaking from experience, those can nag.
crunch 8 hours 12 min ago (view)
ham gets 2500 Ks in the top 3rd.
crunch 8 hours 19 min ago (view)
Jordan Bastian @MLBastian
GM Jed Hoyer said Hendricks is dealing with an impingement in his throwing shoulder: "I feel like we got ahead of it. We're not sure how much time he'll miss, but we'll try to take it slow and take the length of the season into account."
crunch 9 hours 42 min ago (view)
schwarber / bryant / rizzo / baez / heyward(CF) / caratini / cargo(RF) / ham / descalso(2nd)
Eric S 11 hours 16 min ago (view)
Kimbrel pitched the 7th inning for the Iowa Cubs today - he threw 8 pitches (6 strikes) to three batters getting a fly out to center, a groundout to third and swinging K. Nice start!
Karl Pagel Blues 12 hours 45 min ago (view)
Thank you, Phil. Have you ever considered doing your own podcast? Your grasp on baseball history is fantastic.
Karl Pagel Blues 12 hours 52 min ago (view)
Thank you, Mike.
Mike Wellman 21 hours 51 min ago (view)
And 71 games in, the C-Cubs & I-Cubs are in a dead heat @ 39-32...
Craig A. 1 day 26 min ago (view)
Thanks very much, Phil.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
CRAIG A: SS Ernie Banks and 2B Gene Baker arrived on the same day in September 1953, although Banks made his MLB game debut three days before Baker.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
i think gene baker was technically the first signed, but ernie banks was the first to suit up and play. baker was injured when ernie made his debut.
JoePepitone 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
He only mentioned his second wife in his autobiography, Mr. Cub. I was surprised to find out from his Wikipedia page that he had been married before Eloyce (wife #2), having read Mr. Cub back in 1971 right after it came out. I guess when you write your autobiography, you get to put in only the parts you want to talk about.
Craig A. 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Banks was the first African- American Cub wasn’t he? Was there a lot of drama with that?